Prologue

Metamorphose

 

There was silence.

 

Leaves rustled in the breeze.

 

Kibum could feel his mind focus, slowly tuning out all other distractions, and becoming one with his environment. He closed his eyes and his grip on his staff tightened.

 

Suddenly, he sensed something. A surprise force lashed out at him. He turned swiftly, his senses in tune with his surroundings. His eyes closed, he fended himself off from the mysterious predator, which was attacking on and on repeatedly. He was fast. But Kibum was faster. He gave the invisible predator a quick and sharp blow, knocking it to its knees.  Kibum steadied himself for another attack.

 

“Well done my grasshopper.”

 

Kibum snapped his eyes open. In front of him stood a tall, well-built man – his ninja master, Lee Jinki. Skilled in every martial art known and with the intelligence of a thousand scholars, his ninja master was a force to be reckoned with. Kibum immediately dropped to one knee with his head bowed, his brown hair hiding his eyes.

 

“Greetings, honourable master,” he spoke with reverence.

 

Jinki smiled. Kibum was his favourite pupil. Ever since he showed up at the academy, Kibum had always shown great potential. Jinki could remember the day he showed up. He had been a young orphan boy with nothing but a fierce passion for ninjitsu and a strong drive to work hard. Jinki sensed his potential, and took him under his wing, training him to fight not only with courage, but with his heart. And now, ten years later, Jinki could see that Kibum had not changed, always wanting to please, and a bright spark in his eyes.

 

Jinki held out his arm. “Get up Kibum. You know me too well for this.”

 

“I’m sorry master, but you’ll always be my superior.” Kibum stated, before scrambling to his feet.

 

The corners of Jinki’s mouth turned up; Kibum was soft-spoken, but he possessed the gift of the gab! It could be too much to handle sometimes, but then again, Jinki didn’t really mind.

 

“You did well, Kibum. But remember this – you’re still too forceful. You need to learn to relax. Ninjitsu isn’t an art or skill. It is a way of life.”

 

Kibum sighed. Jinki was right, as usual. “Yes master,” he replied.

 

“Come, you’ve worked hard. Go back to your bunk and rest,” Jinki said.

 

“Yes master,” Kibum repeated gratefully.