Lesson 3: Literature laments and Culture Shocks

Kidnapped: A Snippet from the Past

 

Baekhyun sat in his bedroom desk, twirling his pen as he tried to focus on his multiple-choice worksheet about the Joseon Kings. The 26th King... Was it Gojong or Cheojong? He scrunched up his forehead in concentration.

A pillow bopped his head for the fifth time that morning. "I am bored. Entertain me..."

If emotions were to take physical forms, Baekhyun would have flames shooting out of his ears. "I said I'm doing work, Jongdae. I'm not free. Go play yourself!" He snarled between his teeth.

There was a whine. "Fine... I will go and complain to Yifan."

Yifan?? "Wait." Baekhyun leapt out of his chair and grabbed hold of Jongdae's arm before he could leave the room. Jongdae turned to him with an almost smug smile.

"So will you play with me?"

 


---

 


"Why me?!" Chanyeol groaned into his pillow. Baekhyun kicked his shin and tried to drag him forcefully out of bed.

"You've been sleeping the whole morning, lazy bum!! Do me a favour and play with him for me."

Chanyeol shot him a sufferable look. "What do I get in return?"

"Hmm..." He pondered about this for moment. "Sehun is allowed to sleep over for one night."

Apparently that deal didn't seem good enough for Chanyeol as to draw him out of the comfort of his blankets. "Nope, no deal."

Baekhyun sighed painfully. "Chanyeol... Okay, how about two nights??"

Chanyeol gave an unappeased yawn. He shifted around in the sheets to face Baekhyun. "Why don't you give him a book to read?"

Book! Baekhyun turned to examine Jongdae's reaction, and the latter was smiling. "I do miss my literature texts. Teacher Minseok says I have to read them every day. But I have not read them for the entire time I am living here."

Baekhyun grabbed him by the wrist and tugged him back to his room, towards the rack of books beside his bed. "Take any book you like, and go read in the living room. Remember to put them back later, though." Jongdae nodded eagerly.

Baekhyun trooped back to his desk, dropping himself onto his chair. Back facing Jongdae, he resumed his work.

 

 

A soft knock resounded, and a sleepy-eyed Chanyeol slipped into the room.

"Hey, Sehun's inviting us to go watch a movie tonight, you game?" He flopped himself on Jongdae's bed and buried his head in the pillow.

That casual action bristled something in Baekhyun, and he immediately got up to pull Chanyeol off. "Yah, Jongdae sleeps there now!!"

"Oh, the Prince doesn't allow people to lie on his bed?" Chanyeol drawled, making no effort to roll away.

"No," Baekhyun defended, "but..." He shook his head and returned to his seat, mentally kicking himself for reacting to something so trivial like that.

"By the way, what book did you give Jongdae?" Chanyeol struck up a new topic effortlessly.

Baekhyun shrugged. "I told him to choose."

"Choose?" Chanyeol scoffed. "You could have at least warned him about those rated books you have, I know you read graphic ..."

Baekhyun laughed dismissively. "Jongdae reads literature texts, not my mangas."

"Oh, what makes you so sure?"

There was a short pause. Baekhyun slowly swivelled his chair to face Chanyeol, who was watching him carefully with one eye, his face still pressed onto the pillow. He realised that giving Jongdae the freedom of choosing a book meant that there was an equal possibility of him picking up a-

Oh my god.

Baekhyun snapped his head to stare at the surface of his bedside table. Empty. It was freaking empty.

"Brothers."

Chanyeol cocked his head. "Brothers?"

"The manga." Baekhyun's face was visibly pale.

Chanyeol's eyes widened. "You're reading that?! That manga is full of explicit !!"

" explicit ." Baekhyun corrected, before leaping out of the chair and sprinting out of the room.

 


---

 


Baekhyun burst out into the living room, sweat beading on his forehead. His heart was hammering wildly in his chest, and his knees felt shaky.

I left that manga on the table... It was on the table, in plain view!!!

Jongdae startled and the book flew out of his hands. It bounced and disappeared under the coffee table. Baekhyun caught a glimpse of the front cover, and his heart sank.

"Uh, Jongdae, I..."

Oh no... I've probably scarred him for life...

The younger boy shook his head desperately, jumping out of the couch and bowing at nothing in particular. "I did not mean to read your book! I am sorry!!"

Baekhyun coughed nervously and stepped up to the table, nudging the book out from below and snatching it up behind his back. "No, it's not your fault, I..."

"They..." Jongdae started. A feeling of horror pooled in Baekhyun's stomach as he waited for Jongdae's evaluation of what he just read. He didn't know how far Jongdae read into the story, but judging from the slightly dazed look on his face, it was proof enough that he was at least halfway in by the time Baekhyun entered the room.

"The brothers have an interesting way of loving each other..." Jongdae trailed off innocently, scratching his head as he turned back to the table, peering underneath. "Now where did the book go?"

He didn't understand what that was all about? Thank god!!

Baekhyun heaved the loudest sigh of relief he could muster, and stumbled back to the room as fast as his legs could carry him. He zipped into the bedroom and threw the book hastily onto the bed. Unfortunately for Chanyeol, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and the book barrelled straight into his stomach.

"Argh!!" Chanyeol rolled about in pain. Baekhyun gestured wildly for him to hide it, and he smothered the book with his body right as Jongdae hurried in.

"Did I do something wrong? Sorry Bae Hoon!" He pouted sadly, and Baekhyun swore something inside him just died when he saw that pout. "I think it went missing too! Could the table have swallowed it?"

Chanyeol puffed his cheeks in an attempt to hold back his laughter, and Baekhyun shrugged, trying to look as nonchalant as possible. "Doesn't matter!! Uh..." He wracked his brain frantically for a change of topic. "Anyway, what kind of books do you like, Jongdae?"

Jongdae looked puzzled. "I do not know... I have been reading about Palace etiquette and poetry all my life."

Baekhyun slapped his forehead in dismay. "That's the kind of childhood you have? Wow, that must have a torture!!" He laughed loudly and bounced towards the Prince, grabbing his wrist and towing him out of the room. "I should take you to the library..."

Chanyeol exploded with laughter the moment he thought they were out of earshot. "Baekhyun hyung really has no sense of priority..." He went over to the table and peered at his half-done assignment.

The lone book on the bed caught his eye, and he sat down on the edge of the mattress, flipping it open to the middle. His eyes immediately bulged to their maximum width. Jongdae read all this? Are you kidding me?!

 


---

 


The library was a very ordinary place for Baekhyun, he used to come here every single day when he was still a freshman, poring over volume after volume and filling every empty space on his notes with additional information that he thought would be useful. Now a final year student, Baekhyun knew better.

However, the library was terrifying for Jongdae.

He kept a death grip on Baekhyun's arm as they wandered along the aisles, eyes glued to the towering shelves like they were ten-foot beasts ready to attack him.

"Astrology is good... Oh, Microbiology? Um, Reptiles? Ah, how about Psychology?" Baekhyun randomly listed out topics from a listing stuck on a shelf, and Jongdae just stared back at him blankly. Then Baekhyun had a brainwave. "Ah, botany! You like that don't you." He tugged Jongdae over to a tall bookshelf and waved his arms about. "Here. All about plants! Read to your pleasure!"

Jongdae looked horrified. "If i take one out... Will they all fall on me?" His eyes panned all the way up to the top, and shuddered.

 

 

It took Baekhyun a good amount of coaxing and reassuring before he finally got Jongdae to settle down on a mini couch with a book. Then he realised that he had forgotten to bring his homework with him. Argh I'm such an idiot!! He groaned and tore at his hair in exasperation, getting several irritated glares in return.

Sighing with defeat, he turned back to sit on the neighbouring couch beside Jongdae, but discovered that someone had already claimed it. Oh, my life... He clenched his teeth and forced a smile at the plump lady currently wedged on the couch that was supposed to be HIS seat.

Jongdae was still staring at the front cover of the book intently. He flipped to the back and opened the cover, and blinked in bewilderment when he was faced with the reference page.

"What is wrong with this book? And why are the words in horizontal lines?" He exclaimed to Baekhyun in a alarmed voice. A very loud alarmed voice.

Baekhyun mimicked a zipper across his mouth frantically. It definitely wasn't surprising when Jongdae misinterpreted his signal, as he began to tug at his lips. "There is something on my mouth? Where?" His voice was still as defeaning as ever, and they were getting many, many stares.


Baekhyun pounced on the couch on top of Jongdae as a last resort, and clamped his mouth shut. "Jongdae, we're in a library, you have to whisper or we will be chased away!"

"No one chases the Crown Prince away." Jongdae shot back angrily, and Baekhyun resisted the urge to strangle him to his deathbed.

 


Suddenly, Baekhyun was hyperaware of his current position. He was practically sitting on Jongdae's lap, their faces inches apart, his hand enclosed around Jongdae's mouth, looking straight into his eyes. An uncomfortable feeling crept into his stomach, and he pulled himself away, hastily climbing off Jongdae's lap. "Uhm..."

Jongdae looked visibly upset. "I do not understand." He was whispering now, much to Baekhyun's relief. He wanted to ask Jongdae exactly what did he not understand, before realising that his answer would most probably be "everything".

Jongdae pressed his mouth in a thin line, before shifting his body and patting the tiny space on the mini couch. "You can sit with me."

Maybe I shouldn't... Baekhyun desperately tried to conjure up an excuse to escape, but Jongdae was already grabbing his wrist and pulling him down beside him. The space was way too little for two grown men, so they shifted around awkwardly until Jongdae was half on top of Baekhyun and looking rather comfy.

He flipped open the book. "Can you teach me how to read this?"

Baekhyun gulped and gripped the side of the couch. This is not good... He took several deep breaths and his mind screamed at him to focus you idiot!!, before directing a smile at the younger boy.

"You start from the front. You read from left to right... That's right."

Jongdae shifted further in, leaning back on Baekhyun's chest, and he felt his heart go all jittery.

"How did they get the tree into the book?"

"It's a photograph."

"What is a photograph?"

"..."

 


---

 


"Where are we going?"

Baekhyun tugged at Jongdae's hand, pulling him down the street while peering into every shop window.

"Where are we going Bae Hoon?!"

"Baekhyun hyung."

Jongdae ignored the remark and kept silent, trying to cross his arms and pout but that proved impossible when he was being dragged full-speed down a crowded street.

Baekhyun stopped suddenly, and Jongdae collided into his back, his nose bumping the back of Baekhyun's head. "Ouch!"

Chanyeol emerged from a shop sheepishly, with Sehun in tow. The rainbow haired boy made a snobbish face at Jongdae, who snarled in return. Baekhyun sighed and kept Jongdae behind him as they approached the couple.

"Now what, some competition to see who is a bigger brat?" Chanyeol commented to Baekhyun, as Sehun reached over to pinch Jongdae's cheek. Jongdae failed to dodge it fast enough, and Sehun cackled with glee. He received a kick in return.

"They are both brats. Sehun is older, but his behaviour is akin to a grade schooler."

Chanyeol clicked his tongue and tried to defend his boyfriend. "Jongdae is no better!!"

Baekhyun snorted. "He never went to school, Chanyeol. Besides..." Jongdae succeeded in stepping on Sehun's shoe and was cheering, "He has the Prince syndrome but its completely understandable because he happens to be a real prince."

"Uh huh!! Precisely! Aren't Crown Princes supposed to be mature and level-headed?" Chanyeol protested.

Baekhyun shrugged, unable to think of a logical reason for that. His thoughts were interrupted by Sehun's yell, "I'm not sitting next to you later, you demon in disguise!!"

Jongdae stuck out his tongue, "Neither do...- wait, where are we going?" His taunting expression vanished and was replaced with a confused one.

Sehun laughed and gestured to a building in front of them. "You don't know? We're watching a movie!"

"Mo..."

Baekhyun gripped his arm and grinned reassuringly. "Save the explanations for later. Trust me, it'll be fun!"

 

 

---

 

 

The first movie Jongdae had ever watched in his entire life happened to be a high-grossing blockbuster film that was recently made 3-D. And it was a fantasy, sci-fi thriller with violence, gore, and yes, .

Watching ual in 3-D was no joke at all.

"How did you even manage to buy a ticket for Jongdae?" Baekhyun whispered to Chanyeol as they waited in line for popcorn. "The cashier didn't ask for his ID or something?"

Chanyeol wagged a finger at his roommate, laughing. "That's called tactic. I showed her my card and said you guys were my classmates."

"And she bought it?" Baekhyun turned to eye Jongdae incredulously. He was of age, but he was so cute and tiny and definitely didn't look 18. "She seriously bought it?" Jongdae was squinting at a static screen, and leapt backward in utmost horror when it suddenly burst into life and began to screen a movie trailer. Sehun pointed and laughed at him wildly. "No, you're kidding me."

"Fine, I may or may not have flirted with her a little..." Chanyeol ventured, and turned to wink at the lady cashier.

"Be glad Sehun didn't see that," Baekhyun retorted, as they reached the front of the queue.

 


The theatre was dark, and smelled like popcorn and coke and dirty socks. Jongdae took hold of Baekhyun's outstretched hand and let the older boy lead him to their seats. Chanyeol handed them the 3-D glasses, and Jongdae took one, turning the glasses round and round in his hands.

"What is this?"

Baekhyun gestured for him to sit, but he ignored him. "What is this, Bae Hoon?"

Baekhyun snatched the glasses away impatiently and tried to pull Jongdae down. The chairs were those folded types which had to opened before sitting, and Jongdae resisted strongly. "My chair is broken!" He hissed.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and pushed it down. "All better now?"

Jongdae looked down at the seat, and chewed his lip. Then he looked all around him and discovered that all the empty chairs looked similar too. He huffed and quickly sat down.

Baekhyun twisted Jongdae's face with his fingers and fitted the glasses on his face. "Don't take this out during the show," he explained, "This helps us see the popping-out effect and the 3-D depth illusions."

Jongdae scrunched his nose and squinted badly, trying to understand what Baekhyun said and look at the strange object on his face, at the same time. The resulting expression was hilariously adorable. "Face the front, silly." He pushed Jongdae's head back lightly with a finger, looking straight and ignoring the strange urge to squish his cheeks.

 


---

 


The movie was surprisingly rather mellow, in Baekhyun's perspective. Being an avid fan of violence films, this wasn't enough to make his toes curl and his hair stand. Jongdae, however, was a totally different story.

He had given up on watching at roughly the thirty-minute mark, terrified of the "things coming so close to my face." He actually screamed when a pillar in the film toppled, seemingly falling on top of the viewer.

"Ahhhhhhhhh save me!!" He buried his face in his jacket and wrapped his arms around his knees. A few seconds later, he poked his head out when the pillar never did hit him. "What-?"

Baekhyun snuck a hand to cover Jongdae's mouth, blushing madly because once again they were getting stares. "Shhh, you have to whisper or we'll get kicked out!!"

"No one kicks the Prince out," Jongdae grumbled, yanking Baekhyun's palm off his face and automatically lowering his voice. "Why do we keep going to places that do not allow talking today? Besides, this place is so noisy already-"

Chanyeol dug his elbow into Jongdae's rib. "Shut up, the good part is coming."

"Good pa-"

A room caught on fire. Jongdae yelped and flung off the glasses onto Baekhyun's lap, sticking his face back into the coat.

 


The rest of the movie after that was relatively uneventful, up to the part when the air was heavy with . Baekhyun peeked over and Jongdae, who was still hiding, and possibly fallen asleep under his jacket. A smile crept onto his face unconsciously.

The male lead pushed the female lead on the wall and started kissing her. Wow, that's some awesome tongue action, Baekhyun mused, and he heard Chanyeol snicker to Sehun, "We can do better than that."

Too much information...

Jongdae stuck his head out at the sound of Chanyeol's voice, bleary-eyed, and peered at the screen. His eyes widened. "Oh! We should not be seeing this!" He clapped a hand over his eyes. Baekhyun wanted to scoff. What's the point of filming a scene when it's not meant for watching? He side-eyed Jongdae, who tentatively lifted a finger to peek at the screen.

Jongdae is watching a scene.

Baekhyun made a mental note to warn Jongdae to never ever tell Minseok anything about watching the movie. He wasn't exactly sure how the scholar would react to the Prince watching . On second thought, we should have bought tickets to The Simpsons...

Oh, yes, and he should never mention about reading earlier that day as well. Today definitely isn't a very good day.

Jongdae was staring openly at the screen now, his finger grazing over his lips in a mixture of confusion and awe.

"Do people kiss like that...?" He whispered softly, gaze wide with curiosity.

Baekhyun swallowed and forced himself to tear his gaze away from the younger's lips. He realised that he had completely missed the scene, being so occupied with staring at Jongdae's expression. Oh great, reviews had said that it was pretty good...

Jongdae reached over to pat his hand gently, and Baekhyun almost jumped a mile in the air at that soft touch.

"Hyung..." He looked at Baekhyun with a strange intensity that made his heartbeat spike and his blood rush to the cheeks.

"... Never mind." He dropped his hand and tucked his legs back in, wrapping the jacket around his knees and returning his gaze to the screen.

Baekhyun released a breath he never knew he was holding, and desperately wished for the movie to end so he could wedge himself between Chanyeol and Sehun and try to forget about the look on Jongdae's face. And the inexplicable tightening of his chest that made it slightly difficult to breathe.

 

I need to forget all that...

 

 

 

 

 


 

A/N: 
Ancient korean scripture is read from right to left, in columns. That's why Jongdae had no problem reading the manga but couldn't read the library book.

i was referring to this kind of cinema chairs.

No xiuhan, sorry!!!! I promise the next chapter (set to occur the next day) will have xiuhan, and kris  :D

Thank you for subscribing and upvoting :) Once again, comments are loved. My exams are coming really soon so it might be awhile before I update again!