Separated

K-Pocalypse

While the PD in charge talked with the two security guards, the others were huddled in small groups, trying to make sense of the situation.

Jong Kook and Ji Hyo sat on the chairs on either side of Suk Jin, who was still passed out. Kwang Soo stood near them, his mouth hanging open in disbelief at the situation.

“How is he, hyung?” Kwang Soo asked Jong Kook as he gestured toward Suk Jin. “Is he going to wake up soon?”

“Yah, how am I supposed to know that?” Jong Kook said.

Ji Hyo stared at the floor, her face blank.

“Hyung, when he wakes up…” Kwang Soo paused a moment. “Will he be…”

“What?” Ji Hyo asked. “Will he be what?”

“…one of them?” Kwang Soo asked as he pointed to the gory zombies stalking them on the other side of the door. The three turned to look at the entrance then, watching in silence as the zombies continued to grunt and pound on the glass.

Just down the way, Jae Suk, Haha, and Gary were standing together. Jae Suk and Haha were trying to reach their wives on the phone, but there was still no signal.

“What about texts?” Gary asked. “Will texts go through?” He swiped the screen on his phone to access his text messaging, wrote a brief message to Gil, his partner in Leessang, and then pressed Send. But after a moment, Gary shook his head and sighed.

“It didn’t send?” Jae Suk asked.

Gary shook his head again.

“Aish,” Jae Suk said. “So frustrating.”

“Land lines,” Haha said. “There has to be a phone at the security desk.”

As they approached the desk, they saw the PD in charge standing with the two guards. One of the guards was trying to use his hand-held radio, sending out calls to anyone who might be within range, but receiving nothing but static in return. The other was frantically pressing the on/off switch on the desk phone, hoping to get a dial tone. He briefly glanced up at them and then back to the phone. “The pole must be down,” he said.

Just then, they heard that same scream that they’d heard before. They could tell that it was coming from inside the building, but no one was able to ascertain from where, exactly. The scream seemed to echo in that lobby, silencing the cast and crew’s chatter.

Soon after, they heard some commotion down the hallway. Everyone turned toward the direction of the noise and saw three cafeteria workers, all slightly heavyset ahjummas in aprons and hairnets, running toward them.

Upon seeing the crowded lobby, the women, still running, started yelling. “Run!” they said. “Run! Run! Run!” They shoved their way through the crowd, nearly knocking over Haha and one of the cameramen. “Out of the way!” they yelled as they ran to the entrance.

It was so fast, so sudden. By the time everyone realized that the women were running for the door, they only had a second to try to stop them. “No!” Kwang Soo yelled out, followed by other protests from the crew. “No! Don’t!” they yelled.

But the women were blinded by their fright and didn’t see – or didn’t have time to see – what awaited them on the other side of entrance. They pulled open those doors and rushed out, right into the clutches of the undead.

Those by the door watched in horror as the women were ripped apart right in front of their eyes. Blood squirted everywhere as the zombies tore into their bodies, biting their necks, their arms, their faces. It was a massacre.

Haha’s cordi was sprayed with the blood that shot out from the gruesome scene unfolding before them, and horrified by the sight, soon threw up all over Suk Jin’s VJ. He took one look at the vomit on him and then he, too, turned to throw up… all over some poor cameraman.

Kwang Soo, standing tall above the others and seeing everything – blood and vomit everywhere – suddenly grabbed Ji Hyo’s arm. “We need to get out of here, noona!” But Ji Hyo turned away and looked blankly at Suk Jin’s unconscious body. Jong Kook, understanding her expression, told her not to worry and soon pulled Suk Jin onto his back. “I got him,” he said. “Let’s go.”

Some of the crew noticed Kwang Soo, Ji Hyo, and Jong Kook running out of the lobby. They took one last look at the doors, seeing that it was now propped open by the cafeteria workers’ lifeless bodies and that the zombies were about to make their way inside, and they then ran from the lobby, too, heading aimlessly inside the building. As did Jae Suk, Haha, and Gary. And everyone else, all crazed and running in different directions.

 


 

Jong Kook, Ji Hyo, and Kwang Soo ran upstairs as fast as they could, climbing flight after flight until they couldn’t hear anything but the sounds of their heavy footsteps echoing throughout the stairwell. They stopped at the fifth floor landing, panting and trying to catch their breaths.

“Everyone still okay?” Jong Kook asked, as he tried to reposition Suk Jin on his back.

Ji Hyo and Kwang Soo nodded.

Jong Kook stared at the fifth floor door. “We should try in here,” he said. “Kwang Soo-yah, I can’t defend myself with Suk Jin on my back, so you take the lead. Ji Hyo-yah, you stay behind me.” He tried to give them a reassuring look to settle their nerves and then yanked the door open.

 


 

Jae Suk, Haha, and Gary had run from the chaos of the lobby and now found themselves wandering throughout the first floor. Unfamiliar with the YG Entertainment building, they didn’t realize, not until they came upon a casual dining area with pine wood tables at the end of the hallway, that the cafeteria was located on this floor.

“Aish,” Jae Suk said.

Gary and Haha looked around in a panic.

“Those ahjummas must have run from here, right?” Haha asked.

“But what were they running from?” Gary asked quietly.

Jae Suk put a finger to his lips, gesturing for them to stay quiet as they began to tiptoe throughout that open space.

 


 

Jong Kook urged Kwang Soo forward down the hall, telling him to try each door. Most were locked, but they soon found one that was open. Kwang Soo peeked inside, his narrow face squeezed between the ajar door and the jamb as he checked the room. He then popped back out and smiled at Jong Kook. “It’s your home,” he said.

“What?” Jong Kook asked. He pulled Suk Jin higher on his back and stepped beside Kwang Soo to open the door, revealing an exercise room. Jong Kook smirked at Kwang Soo and then, seeing that the space was free of zombies, quickly ushered everyone inside and closed the door behind them. He promptly pulled Suk Jin off his back and laid him on the floor near one of the treadmills. As he tried to straighten out his back, he let out a gasp of pain.

Ji Hyo quickly walked up to him. “Are you hurting?”

“Aniyo,” he said. “I’m fine.”

“Jong Kook-ah, don’t play tough guy with me. If you’re in pain, you need to let us know.” She lifted his shirt and saw the blue and red medical tape covering his lower back.

He pushed her hand away and arched his back, trying to stretch it out.

Ji Hyo looked over at Kwang Soo. “Can you carry Suk Jin from now on?” she asked.

Kwang Soo nodded.

“Let’s not worry about that for now,” Jong Kook said. “We need weapons.” He went over to the weight rack, running his hand across the plates as he gathered his thoughts. And then he grabbed a barbell from the rack, sans weights, and nodded toward Ji Hyo. “Come here,” he said.

Ji Hyo walked toward him and looked at the long steel bar in his hands.

“You can use this,” he said. “It’s light, see?” He handed it to her and showed her how she could swing it like a bat to defend herself. “Or you can use it like a spear,” he said, gesturing a forward motion.

“Jong Kook-ah,” she said. “I don’t know if I can do this. Zombies… just… I’ve always been terrified of them.”

“You can’t be afraid,” Jong Kook said. “I know you, Ji Hyo-yah, and you’re strong.” He reached for her hands, holding them gently in his. “Just pretend that… that you’re in a movie. You’ve done a scary movie before, right? Your role in this movie is crazy zombie hunter. Okay?”

Ji Hyo nodded. “Okay, Jong Kook-ah,” she said.

While Ji Hyo practiced with the barbell, pushing it forward in stabbing motions, Jong Kook and Kwang Soo searched throughout the rest of the gym for other possible weapons. “If we can’t find anything better,” Jong Kook said, “we can all just use the bars. There were more of them there.”

Kwang Soo shrugged and found a door at the end of the room. Maybe there’s something in here, he thought. But when he opened it, he saw a man – some sort of music executive dressed in a flashy suit – standing with his back to Kwang Soo on the other side of the door. The man turned around and Kwang Soo saw his face then, or rather, what was left of it. One eyeball dangled from its socket and the nose had been bitten off entirely. Kwang Soo’s mouth hung open, but he was unable to scream. As the man began to stagger toward him, Kwang Soo slowly backed up, bumping into one of the treadmills and nearly falling over.

Jong Kook and Ji Hyo hadn’t noticed what was happening, not until they heard the sound of a treadmill suddenly power on. They turned to look then and saw the music executive zombie walking on the treadmill, its arms outstretched as he tried to grab Kwang Soo, who was standing just in front of it. Kwang Soo looked over at Jong Kook with a goofy smile on his face. “Hyung, look!” he said, pointing to the zombie walking in place, desperately trying to grasp over the treadmill’s console panel at Kwang Soo’s face.

“Kwang Soo-yah, stop playing around!” Ji Hyo yelled. She ran over and, without any hesitation, held the barbell above her, it down into the zombie’s head, and then pulled it back out as blood squirted everywhere. Kwang Soo and Jong Kook stared at Ji Hyo in open-mouthed awe.

“Crazy zombie hunter,” she said, with a slight smile.

 


 

Jae Suk, Haha, and Gary continued tiptoeing through the cafeteria.

“Whatever those ahjummas were running from might still be here,” Jae Suk whispered.

They heard a noise then and all turned around. It was the PD. He was standing at the far side of the room, near the kitchen.

“Aish,” Jae Suk said quietly, his hand to his chest. “I just lost ten years off my life.”

“Where’s everyone else?” the PD yelled, his loud voice resounding throughout that empty space.

“Shh!”

But it was too late. Whatever had scared the ahjummas had heard the PD and now let out a long moan.

“It’s coming from the kitchen,” Gary said quietly, pointing to the door near the PD.

They stared at the dark kitchen entryway, and from those shadows, a figure began to emerge, a familiar figure. Its legs were bowed out at the sides and its arms were outstretched in front of its body with hands loosely crossed, as if riding a horse and holding onto the reins.

“Aigoo! It’s PSY!” Jae Suk yelled out.

“He’s doing Gangnam Style!” Gary yelled.

The PD didn’t have a moment to think. The PSY zombie was soon on top of him, tackling him down to the floor and viciously biting him.

Jae Suk, Haha, and Gary stood there for a moment, stunned by the horrific scene and unable to move. But then Jae Suk snapped out of it and grabbed Haha and Gary, pulling them over to the first room he saw. He yanked the door open, seeing that it was a small walk-in food pantry, and then closed the door behind them. They all quietly looked around at the small space, realizing that they were trapped.

 


 

Jong Kook, Ji Hyo, and Kwang Soo, who was now carrying Suk Jin, had since left the gym and were now exploring the management offices on the fifth floor. One last door was left, and they opened it then, seeing that it was empty. But they heard something, a small noise coming from the far corner of the room, like sneakers scuffing against something. The three made their way past the cubicles, checking each desk on either side of them until they saw someone’s legs slightly sticking out from the last cubicle. Jong Kook and Ji Hyo held their bars high in the air, ready to strike as they neared the desk.

But then they saw Daesung slowly peek out, a wide smile on his face. “Annyeong!” he yelled, as he stood up with a slight dance in his step. Daesung hadn’t wanted to give away his position, but he had been waiting so long for the Running Man members to find him. “What took you so long, hyung?” he asked Jong Kook. But then he noticed their shocked faces and saw the barbells they were holding over their heads. He stared at the blood dripping down Ji Hyo’s bar and then glanced behind her, looking for the cameras, but he saw only Kwang Soo carrying a sickly-looking Suk Jin on his back. Daesung looked back at Jong Kook, who had since lowered his bar. “Hyung? What… what kind of mission is this?”