F

Flutter

"Taehyun ah, hurry and get dressed!" Taehyun's mother, Mrs. Nam, screamed because the new house was humongous and because her son was seriously hard of hearing, "The guests are going to be here at 4PM!"

After the third time of calling him with no response, Mrs. Nam was sure that he was in his secret room, where, coincidentally, he also became incredibly deaf. Yup, he was definitely counting AKA organizing his money again. All $138.45 of it. Right down to the last penny. 

At this point, neither Mr. Nam nor Mrs. Nam were surprised with their eight-year-old son's obsession with money. Or his lack of fear for the dead. 

The guests–who were really just all of the townspeople–started arriving with watermelons and canteloupes galore at 6PM because for Koreans, four apparently meant six. The housewarming party was going great though, at least for his family's funeral services business because many older people were in attendance and almost all had taken his father's business card. That made Taehyun happy and all the people in his house tolerable.

On his part, Taehyun had taken the time to keep a count of all of the old people as they came through the door. He also hadn't missed the people who had older family members at home and had neatly written them all down on his notepad and placed it on his father's desk. Just in case his dad forgot later.

----------

Nine years and numerous funeral processions later, Taehyun was a high school junior nearing graduation. His attending high school was really more of a surprise for his parents than for him. These were the same people who had called it a 'miracle' when they saw his eight grade diploma. 

And now, here he was dressed in his uniform, hair neatly parted in the middle and on his way to school. It was a big deal to his mother who prepared his lunch daily and always asked about his day. His answers were always the same though because his days really were the same everyday. He was still obsessed with money and by now had accumulated a hefty sum that he had put in an investment fund.

Taehyun wasn't a bad student but he just didn't really care about school. His parents probably aware of this too had managed to get him to keep going by promising the only thing precious to Taehyun: money. Yes, the only reason he continued till now was because his parents gave him a weekly allowance of $10 for as long as he was in school. And that was an offer he couldn't refuse.

----------

Even though classes were over, there was a last minute schoolwide assembly and Taehyun was forced, along with the rest of the school, to gather in the auditorium and this was also where they had been for the last 14 minutes, waiting and waiting. 

Taehyun anxiously watched the clock as he sat in his seat, waiting for the principal to show up. His office was only five doors away for Pete's sake!

The students in the row behind him were gossiping about some kid in their year named Mino who had gotten in trouble for skipping class and was probably going to have to transfer schools again. After two minutes into the conversation though, Taehyun started to tune them out. People's social lives didn't really interest him. To be incredibly blunt, as long as it wasn't death, he didn't really care what happened to who. 

Taehyun liked to avoid people and their confusing, complicated ways. In contrast, he liked or rather preferred the dead. He always had and maybe it had to do with his father's business but still. They were quiet, uncomplicated and they allowed for him and his family to make money. What more could he want? 

"Quiet! Quiet down," the faculty members yelled over their designated rows of seats as Principal Jung made her way to the front and grabbed the microphone. Even with his bad vision, Taehyun could tell that she had been crying. He hoped the announcement or whatever she had to say wasn't going to take long.

"I was thinking for a long time about whether or not to make this announcement to my students," Principal Jung began to say, her voice still shaky, "but I realize that I don't want to keep anything from you all. I called you all here to let you know that Vice Principal Kwon will be taking my place while I spend my time with my husband who has been diagnosed with stage 3 cancer. Bu-" Principal Jung's voice died out at the end and it took her another minute or two to get calm enough to continue, "But I didn't want to leave you all in the dark about this whole thing, wondering where I disappeared all of a sudden." 

Taehyun raised his hand and when Principal Jung motioned for him to speak, he did not hesitate to stand up from his seat. It was good thing he sat near the front.

"Can you use my family's funeral service when your husband dies?"

----------

Ha. Mino didn't bother to lift up his head but a smile still cracked on his face. He had to admit, whoever this kid was, he had guts. And a sense of humor. Even though there was a 99.9% chance that this boy didn't even know Mino, he felt as if the joke was secretly meant to cheer him up. 

"Pssstt, Song Mino," the boy next to him nudged his arm and pointed to the end of the aisle where his homeroom teacher was, "Mr. Chang wants you to come outside."

As requested, Mino made his way out and his teacher quietly led the way to his office. Mino knew what was coming next as he took a seat.

"Sir.....can I?"