On the Way to Apartment 23

Street

Jinki-ssi, 

Hope your night was not too bad. Apologies for dinner. Keep watch over Jonghyun hyung, please. Minho is sorry he had to leave so early. He will be back later. Jonghyun hyung will be going to work late-morning. When he does, please make your way over to my apartment building. Jonghyun hyung will give you the address. When you come, do not walk past the warehouse. I live in apartment number 23. Come soon. 

    ~Taemin

I gulped again as I stared at the note. It was a bit later in the morning and Jonghyun had just left the apartment to go to the record store. After bidding me goodbye and shocking me with a wet kiss on the forehead and a pat on the cheek, Jonghyun sauntered out the door, looking like his usual self. I chuckled a bit at his touchy-feely antics and his way of expressing affection but I was still concerned, knowing that there was no way Jonghyun was so easily recovering from the rough night and morning he had. It wasn't my place to stop him from going to his own store, and it certainly wasn't my place to try to screw up the routine of someone so fragile. Work probably helped him. I shook my head to get my mind back to the pressing issue I was presented with. Taemin. This mysterious note was more threatening and seemingly sinister than a friendly, informative message dropped off by a friend. I was very perplexed as to how the note ended up in the apartment and the thought just added an even more floaty, kind of ghostly quality to Taemin. Flighty, dressed in white, and feather-lightness was the vibe I got from Taemin when I first saw him on the street corner when I was with Key. The Taemin I had experienced at dinner was very different. He was cutting, sharp, almost vicious, and extremely terrifying. The way his eyes inflamed at the mention of Key's betting and the things he was screaming at Key when we left told me that Taemin wasn't what I thought he was at all. That terrified me, because it was not the first time that I had been a fool, only looking at the superficial. There is so much more under the surface.

I didn't want to keep Taemin waiting, despite my discomfort. I knew that my clothing from the past few days was filthy, so I just kept on the comfortable clothes Jonghyun allowed me to borrow. I slipped on my clunky shoes that felt cold on my feet, as I was used to wearing dress socks with them. I felt very unstylish, especially after coming into contact with these eccentric, well-dressed people, but that was the least of my worries. I was being summoned to a strange apartment building to meet, I supposed, with another moving of this group I had now fallen in with. This moving part was the troubled, and honestly intimidating significant other of Key. I looked at the note again, nodding to myself. I then shoved the note into my pocket, found the second fob to lock and unlock the door on the edge of Jonghyun's bed, and walked out of the door. This was the first time I would be walking the street by myself, without an . Yes, I happened to meet some very caring individuals, but people like Joon and supposed mafia members crawled these run-down blocks as well. My guard was still up. I walked out of the slight comfort of the apartment building and looked around. The sky was a bit of a hazy grey color, but specks of blue sky and sunlight poked out. It was a little bit chilly, but nothing I couldn't handle. I lifted my leg to take a step, when I realized I had no idea where this apartment building was. Jonghyun forgot to give me the address. Most of the buildings looked the same, and even though Jonghyun had said that it wasn't far from his building, this strange place felt enormous to me, so I knew finding it wouldn't be easy. 

I took a deep breath, and decided to go in the direction I was a bit more familiar with, which was in the direction of the warehouse. Taemin told me not to pass by there, but it was my landmark, so I couldn't imagine how I would find my way without passing by Key's metal domain. I passed by a few sights that I remembered: the building where Jonghyun jumped before dinner the previous night, The Castle, its seedy broken down sign reminding me of how I was almost assaulted by the slimy Joon. The logo for The Castle matched Key's pipe exactly. My didn't mind linger on this discovery for long, because when I passed a few more buildings and empty storefronts, I heard some muted yelling coming from another storefront a few feet in front of me. The shop window was tinted, so I could not see into it, but the glass was cracked and the faded window letters indicated that this store used to be an antique furniture store. The awning above the shop was a faded green with white stripes. I felt in the pit of my stomach that lingering was not a good idea. Taemin was waiting and I didn't know if this place was safe, as there was yelling after all. Curiosity kept me from moving away from the shop window. I wanted to hear what the yelling was all about. As I stood there, paranoid that people were watching me, I garnered attention from different people as they passed by me. I was strangely dressed for the chilly weather, I was new in town, and I assumed people had heard who I had been hanging around with. I also looked like a loon loitering where I should not even be. I got even more stares when I broke out into a coughing fit due to my dry throat and probable inhalation of dust. The yelling got louder, until all of a sudden it went silent. I now could hear footsteps. Loud footsteps. . They heard me. I froze as I heard the steps get louder and louder, knowing that it was only a matter of time. Someone would find me here and it wouldn't be good. A few moments later, I was hearing the squeaky door open, the bell which formally told the antique sales people that a customer had entered, chimed. I shut my eyes tightly like a small child playing a game of hide and seek. I was trembling and I felt like a colossal idiot. I desperately hoped that I was now invisible. 

"Jinki?" 

That voice. That deep, slightly cracking voice. It was velvet to my ears. The voice was calming and I wanted the voice to continue to speak. It was Minho. I knew it, as no other person I had ever met possessed such a powerful, beautiful, yet innocent voice. The way he said my name was more a stern question, than a pleasantly surprised exclamation. I was slightly disappointed. Like a kid, I wished that Minho would be happier to see me, especially after our conversation. But then again, I remembered that Minho was a mystery. I blushed at the sound of his voice, and then blushed redder at the fact that I was blushing. I cracked open one of my eyes, and my heart nearly stopped. Minho was in a white tank and his long, thin legs were draped in loose-fitting track pants. He had no shoes on, so I could see his bony feet, which also were covered in cuts and bruises. He was sweaty. I couldn't breathe. There was a sheen everywhere skin was exposed and his long-ish hair was very messy, some of the fringe near the forehead slicked back with sweat. I could see how well defined his arms were, even more so than before. In this tank, he looked simultaneously stronger and thinner, as he was not being swallowed by a large white t-shirt. I couldn't take my eyes off of him, but dared not to fully look him in the eyes. He cleared his throat, which got me back to reality. 

"Jinki." Minho said again. It wasn't a question. He was stern and his voice was rigid. 

"Ah. Minho-ssi..." I struggled to speak. 

"Will you look at me?" He asked, a bit more soft than before. I looked up at him, fully locking eyes with him, trying not to blink in discomfort. His large brown eyes, cradled by permanently imprinted dark circles, were captivating. While looking into them, I almost didn't notice the bruising near his hairline. His full chapped lips were split a bit at one side. Was he...fighting?

"Jinki-ssi...er...hyung, you should not be here." Minho stuttered, and then warned, glaring at me. I felt small underneath his gaze, but he softened his expression and blushed when he realized that he called me hyung. 

"I was passing by. And I heard yelling. I was concerned." I explained, finally able to get some words out. This by no means meant my heart rate was at a normal pace. 

"You're headed to our place." Minho said, more to himself, nodding. How did he know?

"Take a right at this corner, then it's going to be on your left. Black building with the dark purple awning. You'll avoid the warehouse." Minho said, ready to turn back to go into the abandoned shop. He was going from being casual to stern, but was acting as though our odd and monumental conversation never happened. I saw him cry, he told me so much, we comforted each other. There had to be something in there that meant something to Minho. I was getting angry. I wanted to shout at him. I wanted to know more about him, more about what Taemin wanted, if Key and Taemin were going to be okay, if Jonghyun was safetly at work, if he felt anything for me at all. I wanted to shake him and express to him how much clarification I needed. I needed to understand everything but no one was telling me anything. I wanted explanations. 

"Are you fighting?" I asked, in a hostile tone. I felt as though I was hissing at him. I surprised myself. I was being awful to Minho, someone I wanted close to me. My intent was not to drive him away at all. 

"It's practice. Kick-boxing. Then mixed martial arts, followed by good old fashioned gang-style street fighting." He dead-panned. I thought his eyes were going to burn a hole right through me. I winced at the thought of his training. Broken knuckles, cracking, smashing, crashing. 

"The Razor, right?" I blurted out. His street nickname. His eyes widened and then began to shimmer. He looked so hurt. I just used the title he so desperately wanted to break away from, and while I knew very little about him, I knew that he fought for a reason. For revenge. 

"This is thug you were expecting." Minho stated, gesturing to himself, voice raising a bit. The bitter tone in his voice told me that he was both disgusted with himself, and mad at me. 

"Minho yah, I asked because I am concerned. I hear yelling and you come outside bloody and bruised. After yesterday, please excuse me for caring a little bit." I snapped back, forcefully. I wanted to find my voice, but I didn't want it to be this harsh. I mentally slapped myself for being this way and also for using -yah after his name. It was odd. 

"You could have been hurt or lost. I also don't want you around here in particular. This tears people apart, don't involve yourself." Minho sighed, his expression becomming worried. He cared. About me. And he didn't want me to involve myself in his fighting. 

"I'm sorry. I didn't know..." I trailed off as Minho stepped closer to me. 

"I know, I know. I am sorry for being this way, I just can't have another person seeing what I become in the ring. This is where I train, so dangerous people I don't want you to have to deal with may come around. I know Taemin said to avoid the warehouse, but it is really the safest place to go by at this time. Key usually doesn't deal with anyone at this time, so next time ask Key for help if you need it, plus Jonghyun hyung's store is near there as well. Now please, hyung, go meet Taemin. He came to Jonghyun hyung's after we fell asleep, gave me this note to give to you. He wouldn't tell me much, but it is important. Taemin is really important to me, please do this for him." Minho was leaning over, eyes locked with mine, his large hand on my shoulder. His gaze was comforting, and his explanation was concerning, but helpful. I nodded in response and sighed, my mind flitting back and forth between Minho and Taemin. 

"I'm sorry, Minho yah. I know you are Minho, and nothing else." I say, meaning every word. Minho blinked slowly, taking in what I had just said. He smiled slightly and squeezed my shoulder. 

"Thank you. I will be around later." Minho said, quietly, looking down, his long eye-lashes casting a shadow on his cheeks. He looked adorable and vulnerable, but staying was not an option. I turned the corner and watched Minho walk back in. I breathed in deeply, making my way to the purple awning. I kept my eyes down, hoping not to pass any shady characters. I wasn't paying any attention to what was in front of me, because a few moments later I found myself bumping into someone. I stumbled back a bit, regaining my balance. I looked down first, noticing bright yellow leather wingtips, black speckled socks, and the bottom of slightly shortened, fitted black and yellow plaid pants. I froze. I knew exactly who I just ran into. My eyes slowly moved up, to large pale hands with black polish on the shaped nails, more black and yellow plaid, a matte black button down with black jewels tucked underneath the collar, and then to the face. Grey. Feline. Dilated. Eyeliner. Wide-brimmed black hat. Piercings. I was shocked and overwhelmed at how bad this was. 

"Well hello, handsome." The low, raspy, slow, dripping voice slurred. This line was followed by a smirk. 

"Key." I said. It was all I could say. I was face to face with the last thing I knew Taemin wanted to see. Key. As high as a kite. 

"Don't tell me you're here to win back the little hottie in apartment 23 too." Key laughed, each laugh fragment was drawn out and melodic, going up in pitch at the very end. He was swaying, unable to stand up completely straight. 

I swore profusely to myself. Key was here to win Taemin back. This was the worst time for Key to do this. He was high and dressed as if he were making a deal or a bet over cocktails. He was far too much in every aspect right now to speak to Taemin, and although it was not my place to interfere with their relationship, I knew I had to do something. I tried pulling Key away from the entrance of the building. He was stronger than he looked. He was not moving. Key tried squirmed out of my grip and began yelling. That is when the strong smell of alcohol hit me. Key was also drunk.

"You're trying to take me?! What are you going to do? Lock me in a room and take advantage of me? Hold me at gun point and force me to ?! Well what is it?" Key shrieked, slurring his words. Key's drunken words were like knives. Forgetting who I was in this state, he was picturing all those who hurt him and used him. Key was so hurt. Taken advantage of, forced to perform lewd acts with , dangerous men. My heart was being torn apart. 

"I need Taemin! I need him. You hear that? Lee Taemin?! I need you! I love you so ing much and you won't even hear me! I need Taemin..." Key trailed off, breaking down. Sobs were racking his body and I could feel tears streaming down my face as well. Key was now on the ground, unable to stand any longer. I lowered myself next to him, and wrapped my arms protectively around him. I took off his hat and cradled his head under my chin. I owed so much to Key and he needed someone right now. I talked in his ear, in an effort to calm him down, but it was near impossible when I was so shaken by his pain and my own anguish. They needed help. They needed my help, even if they didn't think they did, I knew they needed at least one person. 

I was in the midst of cradling the usually confident, larger-than-life Key, when I felt a presence behind us. I turned around, loosening my grip on Key a bit. I saw white slippers, white fitted pants adorning thin legs, pale skin, and a white jumper. Light. I saw light. With my vision blurred with tears, I could not tell who it was. In my desperation, I swore it was an angel. A hand, half covered by the long sleeve of the white jumper pushed back hair blacker than night. The figure stepped towards us and as my vision cleared, so did my mind. It was the very person who needed to see me, but I was with the very person he could not even look at. 

"Taemin..." I gasped, looking up at him in panic. 

 

 

 

A/N: What did you think? <3 Love you guys