PART I

Right Here, Right Now

Leaving Baekhyun is probably the most painful decision Tao ever had. Disappearing with just a letter... but he needed to do the right thing. After all, Baekhyun's happiness is his happiness too.

 

 

 

Tao stopped by at his workplace to officially drop his resignation letter. His co-workmates doesn't know a thing except for Kyungsoo who gave him a sad smile as he pass by his desk. He returns the smile with his own reassuring one.

 

In no time, Tao reached Incheon International Airport. The weather is a bit gloomy making him think that the sky above is actually sympathizing with him. This is really it. He's really leaving. He doesn't have to do this; he could just stay and never show himself up with Baekhyun again. But still he decided to. It's the best thing for him and Baekhyun. He could use some time to heal his broken heart. He sighed as he queued at the check-in counter.

 

"Good Morning Sir, can I have your ticket and passport please." The guy manning the check-in counter greeted. Tao hand him his passport. "Where would you like to seat sir?"

"Give me a window seat please." He requested politely. The guy nods in agreement. After a few minutes, the guy handed him back his passport and showed him his boarding pass.

"So here's your boarding pass sir, the gates open at 8:30 and closes fifteen minutes before the estimated time of departure. And here's your seat number." He pointed to the small corner of the boarding pass. Tao accepted the boarding pass and set it between his passport pages. "Have a safe flight sir."

"Thanks." Tao said in a low voice.

 

 

 

 

After clearing the immigration and security and almost thirty minutes of waiting, Tao finally found himself, walking inside the airplane. He found his seat and immediately settles himself. He didn't bother to put his carry-on baggage inside the overhead compartment since it’s only his laptop bag. After explaining some safety precautionary measures and asking to turn off all electronic gadgets, the plane started to move. It did not take long and the plane is now off the ground. With one last final look at the city below, Tao place his self in a comfortable seating position.

 

Halfway through the trip, Tao found himself crying. He's having mixed emotions. It's been years since he stepped foot in China and he doesn't how his relatives will react. Happy? Disappointed? He's not denying that he got a little misunderstanding with his parents but even though that’s the case he still love them. His thoughts were distracted when his seatmate spoke.

 

"Geez. Can you stop sniffing? It's annoying me." Tao froze in his position. He's super embarrassed. Am I really crying so loud? He thought. "Here." His seatmate spoke once more this time offering him a handkerchief. Tao turned to face his seatmate and gave him a confused look. "Come on… take it. And stop crying!"

Tao took the handkerchief and said thanks. He apologized too. No more words exchange after that.

 

 

 

The plane finally landed in Beijing airport and the passengers inside started to collect their things. Tao though, still hasn’t move from his seat. He watches as his seatmate stood up and opens the overhead compartment. What a handsome face. His seatmate caught him staring and smile. He closes the compartment and took a seat again.

“Hi. Sorry for earlier. I didn’t mean to get mad at you.” His seatmate said. Tao shook his head in disagreement.

“No, it’s okay. I should be the one apologizing.” The man just stared at him.

“I’m Wu Yifan.” He offered a hand to Tao.

Tao took it and shake it. “I’m Huang Zitao. Nice too meet you Mr. Wu.”

“Kris. Please call me Kris.” Kris laughs. Tao joined him although he doesn’t get why his seatmate or Kris is laughing.

 

Kris stood up once again and collected his things. When he was ready to leave, he looks at Tao once again. “Nice to meet you too.” He said and winked and then made his way to the plane’s door, leaving a shock Tao behind.

 

 

 

 

Three months had passed since then and Tao finally readjusted himself with China. Going back here isn’t a bad choice after all. His parents accepted him with a welcoming arms and he’s thankful for that.

“Tao?”

He heard his mom called for him downstairs. He quickly made his way in the kitchen and found his mom washing some plates. “Yes mom?” He asked.

The woman in his late fifties turned to him and smile. “Son, you’ve rarely gone outside the house, go and get some fresh air.”

He hesitated for a moment but give in anyway. “Guess that’s a good idea.” He said smiling. He walked in his mother’s direction, looked at her and hugged her. It’s funny how time could change someone so fast. The woman in front of him is no longer the glowing woman he knew. She changed much but still beautiful. He let go of her and gave her a kiss in the cheeks. His mom eyed him and playfully asks him what toy he wants. Tao chuckled at his mom’s wittiness. True that, when he was a kid, whenever he wants something he will always cooed her mom. Of course, he gets what he wants; perks of an only child.

Tao went back to his room and changed to casual comfortable clothes. He said goodbye to her mom and went on his way.

 

 

 

It’s been a long time since Tao dragged himself freely outside his parent’s house. Most of the times he’s just in his room procrastinating. He’s now completely moved on with Baekhyun and he felt lightly with that. Time is nice to let him heal his heart quickly. Actually, he’s surprised at himself for moving on that fast. He tried thinking of reasons how but every time he does it, it just brings him to the conclusion that maybe because Baekhyun is happy now with Chanyeol and he feel contented with that.

He watched the hustling and bustling of people from inside of the bus and smiled was plastered to his face. He definitely misses the outside world. After almost thirty five minutes ride, he finally decided to get off the bus. He doesn’t really have a fixed destination so let his own feet dragged him.

He first lurks around the mall but figure out he’s better off to an open site. Of course, he ended up in a nearby park. He stretches a little bit inhaling the fresh air the trees around is giving him. The trees definitely make him feel peaceful. The sight of the kids playing on the playground makes him all giggly inside. How he misses being a child. He continued walking on until he spot an ice cream stall; then images of him and Baekhyun sharing an ice cream, cuddling in the couch. He felt weird though because instead of feeling bitter, he’s happy. Again, because he knows Baekhyun is happy right now with Chanyeol. He went to the stall and ordered his favorite ice cream flavor. After paying, he went on his way.

It didn’t take long for him to finish his ice cream, it really tastes good. He made a mental note to come back later. He then spots a plushie stall in the corner near the lake. He quickly made his way to the stall like a happy child. He scanned the plushies in front him, it’s all beautiful for him and he wanted to buy one. His eyes landed on an average size panda plushie at the end of the display. He immediately picked it and judging by his face he really likes it. He also knows he probably look stupid now, a grown up man holding a panda plushie. Wow, so manly. But he doesn’t care the plushie is cute and he’ll buy it.

“Do you like it?”

A voice Tao surely knows owned by a man asked him. He hummed in response not bothering to look at the man whom he assumes the stall owner. “How much is this?” He asked without breaking his stare at the plushie.

“Don’’t know, you should ask the stall owner.”

He furrowed his eyebrows and look up to get a good view on the man. He definitely looks familiar. He searched his brain for an answer until it dawn him. His eyes widen in shock. He’s the guy I met in the airport three months ago. “You… I know you.” He said trying to sound normal. The man smiled at him.

“Glad you remember me, coz if not I will totally drown in embarrassment.” The man in front him comfortably converse with him. “Excuse me,” he stole the owner’s attention, “we’ll get this.” Pointing at the plushie Tao’s holding. He fished out his wallet from his back pocket and pay. Tao just watch; amused.

The tall owner thanks them and wished them a good future together. This caught Tao off guard as shades of pink started to show in his cheeks. He’s blushing. “We’re not a couple!” He tried to explain. The store owner and the man beside him chuckled in unison. He taught he’s got enough for today; he was wrong, the man beside him snatched his right hand and started dragging him. He tried to let go of the grip but the man is stronger than him, he gave up after a few minutes.

The two found themselves sitting side by side on a nearby bench. Silence’ between them.

“I’m Kris, if you forgot.” Kris said offering his hand for a handshake.

Tao shifted on his seat uncomfortably but still accepted the hand. “I’m Tao.” He introduced trying to not sound awkward. I know was the only answered he heard from the other to his surprise.

Again, silence.

Tao feeling he needs to thank the other, he cleared his throat and initiated a conversation. “Uhmm,” he began voice slightly waver, “thanks for buying me this.” He lifted the panda plushie on his hand. Kris looked at him, and there he swears he just wanted to melt at the moment. He doesn’t know someone can be so handsome like the guy beside him.

“You’re most welcome.” Kris said, again ending Tao’s attempt at longer conversation.

Tao mentally facepalmed himself, this is really awkward, he thought. “So… why did you drag me here?” He attempted to start a conversation again.

“No particular reason.”

Tao rolled his eyes. That’s it! I’ve tried. “I should take my leave then. Thanks again for buying me this pushie.” He said as he stood up ready to walk away.

“Stay for a while.” Kris said, a bit of pleading can be heard on his tone but still reserved.

Tao reluctantly sit again and face the guy beside him. “Well, you better speak then.” He playfully plastered a frowned. “I don’t really like talking to air.”

With that, Kris laughs. Tao found that he’s smiling too, this is the first time he heard such beautiful laugh since Baekhyun. His heart started to beat fast.

“I’m sorry.” Kris said still chuckling. “It’s just that I’m feeling shy to talk to you.”

Tao snorted. You bought me a plushie, drag me here and you’re still shy? Wow. That’s a first. He thought. “Why?” He awkwardly asked.

“I don’t know. I feel intimidated.” Kris admitted, smiling.

“Hey! If someone should feel intimidated, it should be me.” Tao playfully pushed Kris’ shoulder. Kris again just laughed.

 

And for the third time that day, another silence emerged.

 

“I’ve been curious,” Kris spoke, breaking the silence this time, “why are you crying that day on the airplane?”

Tao looked at Kris contemplating whether he should answer it or not. It’s only their second time seeing each other and Kris is already asking him a private question. He answered it anyway, no, not because he’s quite attracted to him, okay maybe a little.

“Hmmm. I’m having mixed emotions that time.” Tao said truthfully while chuckling. “You see, it’s been four years since I’ve came back here and…” His voice shifted from mild to a whisper like tune, “and something happened in Korea.”

“Lovelife?” Kris raised his left eyebrow and looked at him.

Tao stared back at him, trying to get an answer to how Kris knew it. He breaks his gaze and shifted it somewhere else. “Are you by any chance a psychic or something?” He let out a small laugh. “But yeah, it has something to do with my past lovelife.”

“What happened?” Kris asked again.

 Tao can sense that Kris is still staring at him. He tensed up a little bit but relaxed just a few seconds after. Tao doesn’t know how or why he ended up telling Kris everything that had happened between him and Baekhyun. He’s just comfortable around the tall guy.

“Your lovelife sounds like a good plot for a cliché film. But that’s it? You just let him go without even putting a fight?” That was all Kris could say after hearing him out.

Tao gave Kris a faint smile. He shifted his gaze to look at the sky above watching the clouds passed by the two of them. “I did actually…” He could see Kris giving him a questioning look, “and I won.” He smiled at the guy beside him. “I fought for the happiness of the one I love and I’m glad I’ve won it. Baekhyun’s happiness is with Chanyeol not with me. Making him smile is enough for me.”

“But that’s so ed up.” Kris snorted. “You should think of your own happiness at least.” Tao again, just flashed him a faint smile.

“Yeah, it’s ed up. But that’s how love works. Love can make us do things beyond our imagination.” Tao glanced at his wristwatch, amused that they’ve been talking for two hours now. “Oh I should head home now.” He stood up stretching his arms. “Thanks for the time and this plushie.”

“Will we meet again?” Kris too stood up asking.

Tao flashed a mischievous smile. “Depends on you.”

Kris grinned as he stares at Tao’s beautiful pair of eyes. He grabbed the shorter guy’s hand and started walking. “I’ll walk you home.”

 

 

Tao didn’t even try to fight Kris’s hold because at that very precise moment, he knew another chapter of his life has begun.