Our Captain!

Our Captain!

 

Kris frowned. He hated the unruly crowd who was always waiting for EXO at airports. The insecurity within himself raised. He quickly scanned the departure hall of the Shanghai Pudong International Airport. The group of 12 was on their way back to Seoul after their performance in the China's city.

“I hate this,” he sighed. His shoulders were tensed. He relaxed a bit when a tiny hand intertwined their fingers. He knew it was Suho's. His co-leader was aware that Kris was always on alert whenever they were in the crowd. Suho had been trying to ensure the giant that everything would be alright. The managers and bodyguards hired by SM Entertainment would not let their fans harm them. Besides, their fans loved them, right? There was no way they would endanger EXO members' lives.

Kris put on his infamous “ face” to shoo his fans away. It's not because he was not grateful. Oh no! He sincerely thanked his fans for all their supports but in a situation like this, his concern was about s' safety, especially the tiny beautiful man walking alongside him.

He made sure that Suho was within his reach. His height helped him to easily spotted other members, making sure that none of them – especially the smaller ones like DO, Chen, Baekhyun – was left behind. He had nothing to worry about Xiumin because the eldest member, contrary to his lithe look, was strong and quick enough. Besides, there was always Luhan next to Xiumin. He was not worried about Chanyeol, Kai, Lay, Tao and Sehun because they were all tall and strong, just like him.

Screams were heard, hands were stretched out, camera flashes blinded their eyes and Kris began to get tensed again.

Their managers and bodyguards made a barricade to block their fans from being too close to them while at the same time ushering them to the departure entrance. Some of the bodyguards were seen pushing some girls to keep their distance but they kept coming closer.

It was when Kris saw something odd.

There was a girl, wearing a hoodie and a mask, who kept her distance from the crowd. Her both hands were in the pockets of her hoodie. She fixed her gaze on their magnae, Sehun, who was busily talking with Tao. Despite the presence of the bodyguards, Sehun was the closest to the fans. Kris kept walking while staring at that girl. Lucky, he was putting on his shades. He turned off the music player on his smartphone so he could hear the buzzing voices around them.

It happened in a lightning speed.

That girl quickly ran to Sehun, her right hand was in the air, carrying something shiny like a dagger.

Kris gasped. He rushed to Sehun and shielded his magnae. He felt the sting on his back... once, twice, thrice. He began to feel dizzy as the sting turned unbearably painful. It was hard to breath. He heard people screaming. He saw Sehun and Tao widened their eyes while shouting: “Kris hyung!!!”

Then, he heard Suho's voice: “Kris!!!”

He turned around, searching for his boyfriend. He spotted that beautiful face, who turned very pale. Suho's eyes were teary. Kris stretched out his hand. He smiled. Then everything went dark.


 

***


 

The incident quickly became headlines in many countries as EXO has been dubbed as the next big thing and having their co-leader being stabbed in the airport did not only tarnish Shanghai but also China. The fans were furious, demanding harsh punishment for the perpetrator.

It was shocking to know that the self-proclaimed fan has been obsessed with Sehun since their debut, wanting him for herself. She was upset with her unrequited love. The fan, who was quickly paralyzed by EXO bodyguards and airport security officers, confessed to the police that she only wanted to make Sehun notice her.

The police told the media that they would speed up the investigation and made sure she would not walk free.

It was decided that Suho and manager Seunghwan would stay behind while the 10 members and managers Yongmin and Hyunkyun would return to Seoul. They had missed their plane but the event organizers helped them to get tickets for the next flight.

Sehun protested, begging Suho to allow him stay but his leader shook his head.

“But... But he just saved my life. I want to stay by his... his side,” the crying magnae retorted, guilt was building in his heart. “It's my fault. If he... If Kris hyung... It's my fault.”

But Suho and Seunghwan insisted on their decision and Sehun could only obey. Chanyeol and Tao walked with him back to the awaiting van to bring them back to the airport.


 

***


 

Suho walked back and forth in the hospital's waiting room. A team of doctors raced against time to save Kris' life. Never in his life Suho felt this scared. There were so many “if onlys” in his head. If only he had listened to Kris' fear much earlier, but instead he shrugged it off saying that his boyfriend was being paranoid. If only their management did not send them for overseas trips, if only that girl had no idea on their flight time, if only... if only... if only...

“Suho, sit down,” his manager's voice startled him. The EXO leader sighed and slumped his body into the couch. He closed his eyes, images of Kris' face flashed in his eyes. And he remembered their love story.

It was not really love at first sight for both of them but they quickly clicked since their first meeting and they often hung out after practice. He listened to Kris' story about his mother, his Vancouver hometown, his insecurity of being a boyband member and his future with EXO while Suho shared his dreams, fears and secrets with the Chinese.

He remembered the moment Kris confessed. It was far from romantic like in Korean drama. In fact, it was a little bit embarrassing as Kris did it after they had their post-practice samgyetang dining at a food stall near EXO-M dorm. Their first kiss was not romantic either, because Kris stole the peck when the taller guy walked him back to EXO-K dorm. The Chinese said nothing but just flashed his foolish grin while Suho was blushing like crazy.

Suho blinked his eyes repeatedly. He would not cry in front of his manager, not in front of the person who walked on his room and found out him and Kris were making out. Seunghwan was furious, reminding them of their responsibilities as EXO leaders and that they should put forward their group's interest instead of being busy with their romance. Kris was furious as well, telling their manager that they were just normal boys who could fall in love despite their jobs.

And now that man, his boyfriend, lied helplessly in the operation room.

Suho bit his fist, trying hard not to sob. But when Seunghwan pulled him into his embrace, he finally broke down. He was scared. He was afraid if Kris would not make it. He had no idea how to cope with Kris' absence. “Please, please dear God, let him survive, keep him alive,” he prayed.

Three hours later, one of the doctors informed them that the surgery went well but Kris was still in a critical condition.


 

***


 

The members kept calling him and Suho's answer remained the same, even after the third day since the incident: “Kris is still unconsious.”

Suho stared at the handsome face. “Yifan,” he called Kris' original name. “Wake up, please. I miss you.”

He grabbed Kris' calous hand and intertwined their fingers. They are quite the opposite. Kris is tall, very tall, while his height is average. Kris is very handsome with his blonde hair and strong stare while he is beautiful (at least that's what Kris always said) and soft. Kris always looks grumpy while Suho is all smile. But they complete each other.

“I don't want to lose you Yifan,” he whispered while squeezing their hands. It was when he realized that he got a response albeit weak. Suho widened his eyes in disbelief. He squeezed Kris' hand again while staring at the latter's face. And he felt a faint squeeze on his hand. He squealed and shocked Seunghwan.

“Hyung, call the doctor, please,” he pleaded.

The manager ran and came back with a doctor and two nurses. Suho told them what happened and they checked on Kris' vital organs. They stimulated the same move and got the same reaction.

“It's a good sign. Let's hope he gain his consiousness sooner,” the doctor said.

But Kris still did not open his eyes. Even when his mother arrived from Canada later in the afternoon, he still lied like a sleeping prince. Suho witnessed how Kris' mother caressed her son's face. He could clearly see that she was holding back tears. “Such a strong woman,” he thought of the person whom Kris admires so much.

A tap on his shoulder from Seunghwan startled Suho. “We have to return to Korea. EXO is behind schedule because of this incident,” the manager said.

“No! I'm staying here,” Suho replied.

The manager shook his head. “Sorry Suho, you're the only leader they have right now. The next album should be released on schedule. You guys only have a month.”

Suho sighed. He looked again at Kris. “Yifan, please wake up soon. I need you.”


 

***


 

The dorm felt empty when Suho arrived. It was five days after the incident but it felt like forever. But then all the members surrounded him with their questioning looks. Suho forced a smile, telling them that Kris would survive. It was hard to tell them that Kris' mother had asked the management to allow her bringing back her son to Vancouver for his recovery.

The tight schedule helped Suho deal with the emptiness in his heart. The 11 members practiced their choreography for their performances in music shows, shot their MV and did interviews. It was hard to keep saying the same words that they would wait for Kris to come back while actually there was no words at all from him.

When nights came, when all members fell asleep, Suho would wake up and head to Kris' room, which was left empty. No member was willing to sleep there, not without Kris' presence.

Suho lied on Kris' bed. Everything smelled Kris. He hugged the bolster tight. He felt lonely. He missed the warmth from Kris' body whenever they both cuddled in the middle of the night, when their members were not around. He knew the boys loved to hug him, ignoring Kris' death glare because they loved teasing the tall guy very much. They would bully Kris and the Chinese would only smirk or pout.

Suho would leave Kris' room before the boys woke up. He had to be strong for the team.

Without they realized it, the day for the launching of their album finally came but there was still no sign of Kris coming back. The members were nervous. It would be the first time they perform with only 11 persons.


 

***


 

EXO fans cheered for them as the group was getting ready for their performance. Suho made sure that his boys focus on the show but who was he kidding? They would give their best shots indeed but Kris' absence still had the effect on them.

The music started, EXO members began to sing their part while the giant screen showed pictures of them. It was nearing the end of the song when Suho realized that Sehun choked on his part. He turned to check on the magnae and he saw that Kai slung his arm over Sehun's shoulder, trying to calm his down while DO sang Sehun's part. The screen showed a picture of Kris wearing all white. Suho's eyes were teary, the fans began to cry too.

He searched for the PD but the latter only gave a sign to go on with their show. Suho silently gave sign to Baekhyun and Chen to keep singing, to cover their crying members.

Shouts from the fans made him realize that there was a familiar tall figure hugging Sehun. Suho was stunned.

Kris was back.

He was tightly embracing the magnae, wishpering: “I'm fine... I'm fine...”

Lucky the song ended and EXO members quickly surrounded Kris, trying to get his attention, completely forgetting their performance and fans. The fans did not seem to mind, though, as they began to shout Kris' name repeatedly.

Suho was unable to move. He found it hard to believe.

His Kris was back.

He flashed a smile when their eyes met. He moved closer to his pack. When he saw Kris open his arms, he launched himself into the other's embrace. “Welcome back,” he whispered.


 

***


 

The members did not let Kris rest. They kept asking the latter to tell them about his recovery process and how he had determined to come back.

“Because I belong with you guys,” Kris said. “After all, it must be hard for Suho to deal with you all.” Then he smirked. Then he gained protests from the members and they all laughed together.

Except for one person.

“Hyung, thank you... Thank you for saving my life,” Sehun said, while sobbing.

Kris hugged the magnae. “Don't ever, ever, blame yourself, okay?”

Sehun nodded. “I will obey you hyung... I'll do everything you told me to. I won't get to your nerves ever again. I'll be the best magnae.”

Kris smiled. “I believe you.” He stood up and clasped his hands. “Now, can you guys give a moment for me and Suho to talk?”

The members smirked and smiled meaningfully. Kris grabbed Suho's hand and dragged his boyfriend into his room, with the tease and wolf-whistle from the boys.

Once they were inside the room, they kissed passionately. “I miss you,” Suho whispered.

“I miss you too,” Kris responded, his hand was busily combing Suho's hair.

“You have proven as a true leader, our captain, do you know that? You risked your life for your member and I'm so proud of you,” Suho said, almost inaudible as he held back his tears when he remembered the incident.

Kris only smiled. He stared at the face he missed the most in the past month. He knew he made the right decision to come back. There might be another crazy fan who would try to harm EXO members but his place is within the group.

They kissed again. Kris' hands began to roam Suho's petite body but before they moved further, they heard a loud commotion in front of the door.

Kris opened the door and found 10 boys in shock but quickly grinning ear-to-ear, trying to pose innocent faces.

“Sorry, Duìzhǎng,” Chanyeol apologized with a foolish grin.

Kris just rolled his eyes before slamming the door again. Suho grinned at him. “Welcome back.”