At Fourth Sound

At First Sound

Tiffany stretched out on the bed as she lay lazily on it. Eyes closed and her mind drifting back to the date she had been in. It was nowhere near romantic or what she had expected, nevertheless, she was satisfied. At least, she felt she knew something more about Jessica.

"Come'on..."

Tiffany was tugging on Jessica's hand as she led the way to a nearby restaurant, half puffing from the resistance the other was giving her. She could not believe that she was the one who had to decide where they were going, when she was the one being asked out. Note, being asked out, so it technically meant that Jessica was the one who was supposed to plan everything, yet the girl came empty-handed and clueless, with no preparations or whatsoever.

"Where are we going?"

"Somewhere to eat."

The brunette was this close, just this small margin close to exploding. Tired after a long day at work, the least she needed was resistance and continuous explosion of questions.

"How about there? That restaurant?"

Tiffany took a glance at the dimly lit restaurant that Jessica had pointed to. The restaurant looked pretty run-down, not to say, there was not much to be seen in the interior nor exterior as opposed to the brightly lit and fanciful restaurant diagonally across it.

Tiffany was about to voice out her opinion, but the slight pull of her hand towards that direction stopped her. Jessica was already half running to the run-down restaurant. If others did not know better, they would think that the girl was going to one of the most popular restaurants in the country.

Pushing the door open, Jessica led the curious girl into it, stopping for a while by the door before leading her to a cozy seat by the window side of the restaurant that was overlooking the fanciful and posh restaurant that Tiffany had wanted to go to in the first place. Pulling out a chair, she motioned for the brunette to take a seat, before taking a seat herself like a gentleman would. Settling herself, Tiffany allowed her eyes to wander around the place.

Indeed, the place was nowhere near classy, but neither was it anywhere near run-down. The slightly torn cushions, yellowish tables that used to be white, wooden benches only served as a remembrance of the olden times that the modern city had long forgotten. It was just like the old kind of restaurant that Tiffany used to see in olden movies, where residents from all over simply came down to sit and waddle their time away as they CHATTEDarrow-10x10.png with each other. However, despite it looking old, they were clean. In fact, the small restaurant oozed a warm and cozy feeling. It just felt like... Home.

While Tiffany was busy admiring the restaurant, Jessica took content in admiring the girl instead. She could see how the former's eyes lit up in fascination, how her lips tugged upwards into content smile, how her hands seemed to be touching everything curiously. Tiffany was like a child, full of curiosity. Jessica could only smile at the sight.

"Jessica Jung?"

Heads whipped towards the new figure, one with a curious expression while the other broke out into a wide smile.

"Taeyeon!"

Immediately, Jessica stood up and engulfed the said girl into a tight hug, which the girl returned. From the hug, Tiffany observed how Jessica seemed very familiar with this Taeyeon and how the both of them seemed to be grinning widely, almost unwilling to let go of the hug.

"I missed you."

"So do I. Where's Hyo?" The shorter shrugged as she made a quick glance around the empty restaurant.

"Somewhere about I guess. That kid just wouldn't stay still."

"Yeah, but you still love her all the same."

"If not for the fact that she's my only sister." Taeyeon pouted while Jessica chuckled.

"So who is this beautiful lady you have brought along?" Tiffany looked up at them when she heard herself being addressed. Shyly, she stood up and gave a slight bow to the shorter girl, receiving one in return.

"Her name's Tiffany."

An "O" started to form on Taeyeon's mouth as the petite girl shifted forward slightly to take a closer look. Her eyes furrowed and her arms crossed, Tiffany felt as though she was being stared right through, baring her inner self to the small structure. Squirming slightly, she shifted her position so that she would be leaning away from the girl as much as she could without being rude. Mustering a small smile, she darted her eyes around uneasily till she finally saw the girl moving backwards and her lips turning into a sly smile.

"Gosh! Jessica, where on earth did you find this beautiful lady?" Taeyeon exclaimed loudly, causing the barista to jump up in shock.

"The cafe down the road."

"The cafe? You mean the Bunny Cafe?"

Jessica nodded.

"I have walked past there many times, but why I haven't seen her before?"

A shrug of her shoulders as she continued to look nonchalantly at the ridiculously hyper girl as she leaned back on the edge of the chair. All of which, Tiffany observed, making mental notes about Jessica's personality, as well as her friend. A complete contrast of personality the two had.

Few moments later, Jessica decided that Taeyeon had been muttering a little too much to herself and stepped up, pressing down firmly on her shoulders, causing the latter to stop and calming down almost immediately.

"Taeyeon, we are here to eat. Remember?"

A look of confusion washed over her face as the shortest blinked a few times, trying to get her bearings back. When she finally got it back, she smiled a wide smile before ushering the duo back into their seats.

"Right," A clear of in attempt to sound professional. "So what would you both like to eat?"

"There isn't a menu around, Tae."

"Right. But never mind, I guess you wouldn't mind eating our specialty then." Tiffany observed as a smile lit up on the blonde's face, her eyes almost sparkling. "Would you mind, Tiffany sshi?"

A shook of her head and a soft mutter of thank you towards Taeyeon before the latter scurried into the kitchen.

With the lack of the extra person who had somehow MANAGEDarrow-10x10.png to brighten up the mood, the atmosphere surrounding the two girls lapsed into an awkward silence almost immediately. The comfortable atmosphere was gone as the duo darted their eyes away from each other, not knowing what to say.

"Sorry. I... erm... just... not very good with words..."

Tiffany nodded her head in acknowledgement.

"Sorry... if it's ... kinda... awkward..."

Tiffany nodded again as she smiled encouragingly. She had wanted to answer; yet it kind of made her feel weird. It was rare that the blonde had initiated a conversation unlike the usual. At least she was honest enough to say it was awkward. Not many had the guts to do so.

"Erm... so Taeyeon...” Tiffany raised her eyebrow at the choice of topic, but carried on listening.

"She's the owner of the restaurant together with her younger sister, Hyoyeon, whom you might see around maybe later." Tiffany nodded. "Erm... She... She is a very good cook, and can cook lots of delicious food." Tiffany nodded again. "But the business is not doing well for them." Jessica had gestured to the outside window where long queues were still forming outside the doors of the posh-looking restaurants despite the slightly late hour.

"And... and... And..."

Frowns of her eyebrows and her lips pressed firmly into a thin line as she racked her brains to come up with something and a small pout when she realized there was none. Tiffany almost laughed at the adorable sight. She could never imagine that the usually cold and woman of few words could have such a cute and adorable sight. Suppressing her smile, Tiffany continued to look at the woman before her who was constantly darting her eyes everywhere and fidgeting uncomfortably. Even though the silence was awkward, Tiffany was still weirdly comfortable.

It was only till a loud shout was heard along with the banging of doors and a small body slammed into Jessica, nearly punching out all the air in her lungs that the silence was broken.

"Unnie!!!!"

The arms around the blonde's body tightened, sending the latter into FITSarrow-10x10.png of cough as she tapped anxiously at the arms. Yet, the owner of those arms refused to let go as she snuggled deeper into the body.

With great effort, Jessica tried to struggle out from the tight grip but to no avail. Left with no choice, she flailed her arms trying to seek help from Tiffany. With a shake of her head, Tiffany stood over the blonde, trying to peel the intruder's arms from her date, yet it only allowed her to have a tighter grip hold on her victim.

Only when a loud smack was heard that the culprit let go to rub her sore head and Jessica was allowed to breathe while calming down. Seeing that the victim was finally released, Tiffany immediately snatched a glass of water; patting Jessica on her back while the latter continued to take deep breaths. When she was sure that Jessica was going to be alive, Tiffany then stood up, facing the short duo curiously.

Taeyeon seemed to be scolding the girl, occasionally smacking her on the arms while the latter seemed to be nonchalant about everything while sneaking glances at the direction towards Jessica and Tiffany, grinning. Just as Tiffany was about to sit down, a soft husky voice was heard.

"Sorry, unnie." Jessica recovered from her coughing fit and looked up at the girl who was looking at her apologetically.

"It's okay, Hyoyeon. Unnie knows it's not on purpose." Bearing a smile on her face, she patted the younger girl on her head, however, Hyoyeon still looked sad and apologetic.

"Hyo, unnie is fine. I'm fine. See!” As to prove herself, Jessica started shaking her body left and right, much to Tiffany's amusement. "Look, Unnie is with a pretty unnie today."

Tiffany raised her eyebrows in amusement as she caught sight of Jessica looking at her while whispering to Hyoyeon. The duo seemed to be smiling at her, which she thought was slightly creepy. Still, she shrugged the thought away and her lips turned into a bright smile as she gave a small wave, to which the younger girl waved back.

"Hi unnie, I'm Hyoyeon. Kim Hyoyeon."

"Hi Hyoyeon, I'm Tiffany." Hyoyeon's face turned into a bright smile as she faced Jessica once more, signaling the taller girl to bend down. "Unnie, is Tiffany unnie your girlfriend?"

Hyoyeon had attempted to whisper; yet her voice was unfortunately loud for everyone around her to hear. Not expecting the question, Jessica flushed pink while Tiffany gave a tight smile as she darted her eyes away from the duo, pretending to be busy and not listening to the conversation.

"So unnie, is Tiffany unnie your girlfriend?"

Tiffany saw Jessica taking a glance at her from the side of her eye and immediately darted away when they made eye contact.

"Hyo, Tiffany unnie is unnie's friend."

"Girlfriend?"

"Hmm.... Maybe?"

Jessica gave another glance at the eavesdropping girl, while Tiffany started gulping down water, in hopes to ease her embarrassing rise in temperature that was shown on her face.

"So..."

"Kim Hyoyeon! Stop messing with Jessica unnie's date with her girlfriend and get in here!"

"Neh, Unnie!"

Hyoyeon ran off towards the kitchen, but not before turning around and gave her favourite unnie a sly smirk and to Tiffany a huge smile, leaving the "couple" in an awkward and strange atmosphere.

Moments into that uncomfortable situation, Tiffany stared outside the window, looking at what believed to be dark shadows of the scenery and empty streets while propping her chin on her palms, while Jessica sat fidgeting in her seat while biting the bottom of her lips. The latter's brain had been churning to form topics that would ease the awkwardness, yet words seemed to fail her. However, before she could think of one, a shout from the kitchen brought them back to attention.

"Unnies! The food is done!"

Once the sound faded off, a small being holding a plate with two hands wobbled out of the kitchen, staring at the dish in the plate with every step she walked, careful not to spill any single drop. With great care, she placed the plate on the table in front of Tiffany.

"Thanks Hyoyeon."

Tiffany gave the small girl a pat on her head, smiling at her brightly before the girl rushed back into the kitchen and brought out another plate. Once the dish had been served, the duo simply dug in, without saying much to each other. All that teasing from the two Kim sisters had made them hungry.

Moments later, they were done, their tongue glued to the spoon as they off the gravy. The dinner had been satisfying, in fact it was above average, but the reason why there was no one in the restaurant was a mystery. Tiffany could not deny that this was one of the best dinners she ever had. The food had just taste like her mother's cooking, giving off a homely feel.

"Thanks for the dinner."

Tiffany had smiled at Jessica, her eyes turning into crescent, to which Jessica returned the gesture.

"Uh... I had wanted to say since just now..." Jessica started, while Tiffany raised her eyebrows in amusement. "About Hyoyeon, and the... the... the girlfriend... Don't mind her... She's just... a kid..."

Stuttering over each word, Jessica turned red with embarrassment. Throughout the whole time she was eating, she had been planning the apology and meant to say it in a cool and nonchalant way, yet it turned out to be full of stutters. If only the girl was not there, Jessica would literally face-palmed herself.

"It's okay. I don't mind. Hyoyeon is just a curious kid."

There goes her smile again as Jessica started to swoon over it in her heart though her face was void of expression.

"Alright. It's getting late. I will send you home."

Standing up, the duo headed for the door, blushing once again as a husky voice shouted out to them.

"Jessica unnie! Bring your girlfriend again next time. Hyoyeon likes her to be unnie's girlfriend!"

~~~

As Tiffany reminisced the dinner with Jessica Jung, despite it not being anywhere near romantic, and was just a friendly dinner date, Tiffany could not help but gushed at the thought of an awkward and slightly stuttering Jessica as well as a smiling and lovely Jessica. To think that the latter would actually have these different sides of her apart from the usual cold and expressionless face. So what other sides does this Jessica Jung has? Somehow, Tiffany was determined to find out.

-TBC-

A/N: I'm in a good mood coz CMIYC is out. And Girls is so damn good. :D As usual, if there's anything you don't understand, tell me, or maybe I do need a beta reader. Anybody interested? Till next time...