Moving

I'm Not Your Fan

Lena Li's P.O.V

        I first met him when I was four and my parents decided that it was time to introduce me to their good friends the Wu's. My dad has known Mr. Wu since they were in high school, and my mom and Mrs. Wu became really close when they took a cooking class together. 

The Wu's have a son just a couple months older than I am and his name is Kris Wu. I remember when I first met him and thinking that he was totally cute, even if I was only four. Even my parents thought that Kris was the most handsome looking boy that they've ever met. But those feelings of mine completely vanished when he opened his big mouth. 

He was the most obnoxious, self-absorbed person that I ever met! The first thing that he had ever said to me was, "You’re a girl?..." 

After that moment I knew that we would never get along, and we never did. At the time we both lived in Canada and we actually lived pretty close to each other. So almost every night since both of our parents were so close the Wu's would come over and bring the little brat child Kris with them. 

When we started Kindergarten together it was like World War III! The teacher couldn't pull us off of each other, and when I mean that she couldn't separate us I mean literally. We'd always be bickering at each other. He would start to pull on my hair while I would start to poke his face till it ended up us just pushing and shoving each other till the teacher had to call the Principal. 

I remember this one time in second grade, and we just happened to be in the same class again, Kris put his chewing gum in my hair after finding out that I just got it cut the other day. I ended up having to get another hair cut and because he stuck it so high on my head my mom forced me to cut it so I'd look like a boy. When I went back to school people made fun of me until it finally grew back in third grade, and then I started to look like myself again. 

Then what I did to get back at him was during recess I went over to the bushes and dug up some worms to put in his lunch box. I threw out his noodles and stuck the live worms with grass inside. His face was totally priceless when he opened his lunch box, he totally flipped out of his chair and I just laughed up a storm. 

So this whole rivalry went on until Junior High. Before Kris was able to start sixth grade his dad got a job promotion and they had to move to Seoul, Korea. My parents were really upset that the Wu's were moving so far away but for me I was jumping for joy. I wouldn't have to deal with Kris anymore and my life could finally be normal (and Krisless!) And it was until just recently....

 

Now I'm in the middle of my Junior year of collage, but because my dad got a location switch for his job I am going to have to finish collage year in Korea.

"Attention. The plane has just landed in Seoul Korea, you are now permitted to unbuckle your seat belts." 

My mom starts to shake my arm and I slowly start to wake up from my peaceful long nap. Opening my eyes I look out the window and it's already nighttime in Korea. 

Since my family got the notice about my dad having to move out to Korea a good sixth months before hand my parents placed me in intensive language program.

When I'm at school and my parents are at work we'd speak English but my parents and I only speak Mandarin in the house and when we're together so it was fairly easy to learn Korean. I mean the characters are a lot simpler than the Chinese characters and I feel like because I already knew Mandarin it made it a lot easier for me to learn Korean. Except I have this weird Chinese-English accent so I'm still sound like I'm a newbie at the language. 

My dad actually already can speak Korean fluently because he has a lot of clients who live in Korea and for my mom she watches a lot of those Korean Dramas so I guess she can get by with at least the simple things. 

After getting off the plane we waited for our luggage for another two hours. And know we're just waiting for the Wu Family to come pick us up. 

It's been like ten years since I've seen them in person (because of course we've called plenty of times). I'm excited to see Mr. and Mrs. Wu very much, they've always seemed like the happiest couple, other than my own parents, that I've ever met and it's always nice to see them. The person that makes me have this unsettling feeling in my stomach is the one and only Kris Wu. 

We haven't seen each other or even talked since he's moved. And honesty I think that has been the best decision for the both of us. 

Suddenly my mom takes out my headphone from my ear and points over to two people waving enthusiastically towards us. "Look who it is!!"

My parents immediately rush over to them and when I watch it seems like no time has passed. They all go right into conversation like those ten years of not seeing each other never happened and it actually put a smile on my face.

Soon they realized that they left me with all of the luggage. "Oh look, is that the Lena Li?" Mrs. Wu starts to walk over towards me with open arms.

I bow then she embraces me with a warm hug, "Hi Mrs. Wu. How have you been?"

She smiles, "Missing you and your family, ugh it's so nice to see you all again."

I just nod and then the adults go back to reminiscing on old memories and talking about future plans. 

Feeling like there's something missing I suddenly remember that Kris isn't with them. Is he really that arrogant that he can't even come and greet us at the airport? Kris will be Kris I guess, but hopefully moving did some good on his obnoxious personality. 

"Lena, are you coming?" Looking over I see my parents and the Wu's already walking out of the airport and quickly I grab my things and run after them.

As we're driving through the city to get to Busan where the Wu's house is Mrs. Wu starts asking me a question, "So Lena what kind of music do you listen to?"

I look down at my mp3 and get a feeling that it was maybe rude to be playing music when I could be catching up with the Wu's who I haven't seen in so long. "Oh, I'm sorry I'll turn it off."

Mrs. Wu just laughs, "No honey, I wasn't scolding you. I was just curious... Do you perhaps listen to any Korean music?"

I furrow my eyebrows a little but then shake my head, "No not really. But I've heard that k-pop music is very popular now." 

She nods, "Yes, that's what I've noticed as well. So you don't know any of the groups or anything?"

Her questions seem kind of specific but I just shrug it off, "I know who Psy is, but only because he was so big on YouTube and all."

That seemed to answer all of her curiosities so then she just goes back to talking with my mom about dinner and other things. 

Getting to the Wu's house my jaw drops to how big it is. It's even bigger than the one they had in Canada and I've heard that there's not many houses like this in Korea unless you're super rich. "Wah! Mr. Wu your house is beautiful!"

He smiles proud, "Thank you Lena. Since Kris got a job for himself we were able to buy such a nice home."

I raise my eyebrows shocked that the little spoiled prince got himself a job. But I wonder what kind of job a two year collage kid could get, back in Canada all I worked at was a restaurant and a convenient store and that couldn't even get me a new car. (which I ended  up having to sell anyways.) 

Once getting inside I immediately feel blown away even more, it's like a total palace inside. There's a huge stairway and a beautiful living room, a huge kitchen and who knows what else. 

"Lena your parents are going to take the guest room and if you don't mind you'll be taking Kris's room for a short time. We just need to clean out one of the offices so we can return it to a guest bedroom."

My eyes widen and I start to feel sick, "I don't think that's a good idea. I mean a boy and a girl sleeping in the same room, that's a little much. Even if we are childhood.... friends Mrs. Wu."

My parents and the Wu's look at each other with amusement, "Honey, Kris lives in his own apartment with some friends. He only comes to visit on the weekends or on some week nights, but doesn't really sleep over."

I let out a huge sigh, but then stop when I realize that I'll still be sleeping in the jerks room. "O-Okay? I guess."

Mrs. Wu shows me to Kris's room and I think that I almost pass out, "T-This is his room?"

Looking around it's totally huge. It's even bigger than my living room back in Canada, it's like its own house in a house! Then looking over I am also  shocked to see it so clean. I remember when we were little and I couldn't even step in his room without getting poked in the foot with one of his little dolls. 

"I know it's a little bit of an inconvenience to be sleeping in his room but I took down most of his things and put it in the closet. You're free to do what you want." Mrs. Wu walks in and sets my stuff on my bed as I'm still marveling on its magnitude.

"No it's great. Thank you so much for letting me and my family stay here."

She shakes her head, "No, we love you and your family. We've missed you all so much, I think it would be fun to all live like one whole family."

I nod, "Thank you."

As she's about to leave the room she says one last thing, "Dinner will be ready in a little while. And we have a little surprise for you later too.”

I smile, "Okay."

Then once she leaves I open my luggage and start to think about where I'm going to put everything. Mrs. Wu said that she cleaned out most of his stuff since I'm going to stay here for the time being.

So looking around I see some drawers that look to be unused so I start to place my cloths there. Then looking in one of the closets I almost stop breathing because what I thought was a closet is my very own bathroom. Walking in it's beautiful and there's even a shower too! 

"Deciding to live with them isn't as bad as I thought it would be."

Putting most of my stuff away I just need to find a place to put my coats. So going to the closet I grab a hanger when I notice a couple boxes and other things at the bottom. 

Then I remember that Mrs.Wu said that she put most of Kris's stuff in his closet. 

Looking around I make sure that nobody will suddenly come in and then I lock the door just to be safe. Taking out one of the boxes it's just different books and family pictures. There's even one from when he was little and still lived in Canada. 

It's weird to think that I haven't seen him in ten years. I really only saw him in a couple pictures that the Wu's sent us and other than that he's kind of still a little kid in my head. 

Sealing the box back together I push it over and go to the next one. Looking inside I start to laugh, "What are these?"

Inside there's a doll that I'm pretty sure is suppose to be him and then there's also this huge poster of his face that is all to serious to not do anything but laugh. He's that self-absorbed that he ordered a picture of his face to put in his room?

Then going through some more I see a few CD's at the bottom of the box. "E.X.O?"

Looking inside there's pictures of the singers and I'm a little shocked that there's so many of them. Is this why Mrs. Wu asked me what kind of music I liked was k-pop because Kris listens to it? I mean he seems pretty obsessed with thi.O group?

Taking a better look at the photos I widen my eyes, "Is that Kris?" 

Flipping back to the front of the CD I notice that Kris's face is there too, and he's also in a lot of these other ones. And going through the other CD's his face pops up there too?

"What is this? Is he like one of those super fans that goes to the extent of cropping his face with the singers?" I guess once a creep always a creep. 

The only thing is that he must be a genius at computers because these seem pretty authentic. Staring at the CD I suddenly hear a knocking on the door and I scramble to hide everything back in the closet.

Then running to the door I unlock it and see my mom stand there, "Dinner's ready, and the surprise is almost here!"

"A surprise?" 

I walk downstairs with my mom and see my dad and Mr. Wu casually sitting on the couch like old friends and Mrs. Wu placing everything on the dining room table. 

Looking at my mom I raise my eyebrows waiting, " I thought you said that there was going to be a surprise?" 

She nods her head, "There is, so go take Mr. Wu and your dad to the dining room and you'll get it then."

I hesitantly stand there scared that it's going to be something bad. Then following her orders we all head to the dining room to eat, which I am starving. That plane ride was no joke, 12 hours is too long! 

As we all sit down at the table everyone's face looks a little bit too exaggerated for dinner, even if it's the first meal that we're going to have in ten years.. 

Suddenly I notice everyone's eyes coming towards me, but look at my mom closer her eyes are slightly above my head. So thinking something’s behind me I turn around and right as I do my eyes get bigger as I see someone’s torso right in front of my face.

Feeling a little bit nervous I slowly move my eyes up to see the persons face, and as I do I think that I black out a little.

Shaking my head and blinking I see Kris Wu. But not the little annoying boy Kris Wu from when I was in Primary school but an older Kris Wu who looks to have the same arrogance as before but has grown up to be what I hate to say but a kind of handsome looking guy.

He looked to have died his hair blonde and he’s gotten really tall. Actually for the longest of time I was the taller one out of the two of us.

"Am I that good-looking? Or are you just that happy to see me?"

Snapping back from my thoughts I immediately smirk, "Seems like you haven't changed a bit." I say in the most sarcastic way I could for it not to be sounding too rude.

Then looking over at my mom I glare at her, "Don't tell me this is my surprise."

She shrugs and nods her head.

And looking back over to Kris smirks back, “Surprise.”