III

Til Your Last Breath

    After finally convincing their manager to go through with Sehun's plan, the boys both had stared at the slip of paper and the phone beside it for what seemed like hours. Neither of them wanted to call the number, and they both began to bicker over who shouldn't be a chicken and just call already ( of course they both knew they were pretty chicken, despite Chanyeol not being the one with the massive crush ). Finally tired of the two boys scaring away the customers from the back, their manager plucked the phone from their hands and dialed.  Announcing the so called promotion and tossing the phone to the perplexed boys, their manager pulled out boxes of chicken for them both to deliver. 

    "If you don't get that girl at some point in your life, you owe me five boxes of chicken worth of money. Both. Of you," he warned before closing the door to his office shut. Well then. Guess Sehun had to succeed either way. Strapping the chicken to their bicycles and adjusting the helmets on their heads, the two boys took off. 

    "So, how exactly do you plan on smooth talking your way into a conversation with her?" Chanyeol questioned. This entire plan seemed like it'd backfire, especially since Sehun wasn't particularly that great at talking or keeping up a conversation. However, if it was with his hyungs or his reflection, it was easy to get Sehun to be a bit of a chatterbox. 

    "Don't worry, hyung. I got it. I practiced for this day quite a few times and I'm pretty sure I can cha cha real smoothly my way into her heart." Sehun flashed a rather smug grin, quite pleased at the way he made his own pun while Chanyeol's face twisted into a look of horror and disgust ( but let's face it, he'd probably do the same thing ). A few moments later, they had both arrived at the same house Sehun had met Soojung. Sliding off the bike, the boy felt his heart beat at an abnormal pace and he clutched his chest.

    "Hyung, I think I'm gonna barf."

    "Good god please don't. And if you do, kindly direct your vomit very far away from me. I cannot afford to be covered in Sehun junk." Chanyeol shuddered and took a few steps away from Sehun, holding the boxes of chicken closely to his chest as if it'd be able to protect him. After Sehun was finally able to gather himself, they began their walk towards the door.  Knock knock. If Sehun could describe the moment and how he was feeling, he'd tell you that it felt like he was plummeting through a never-ending hole of darkness and confusion. He could feel his heart practically pounding against his chest, clutching the boxes in his hands.

    "I got it!" There it was. That voice he had first fallen in love with. The sound of rushed footsteps were heard before the door was opened, revealing a particularly happy looking girl. 

   "Jinri, the chicken's here!" Eyeing the boxes in the boys' hands, Soojung her lips and could smell the aroma of the meat welcoming her. Even though Jinri was the big chicken lover, Soojung still had a thing for meat. 

   "When did you guys start having raffles anyways? We've been ordering from you for a while now and this is the first time I've heard of anything like this." Soojung crossed her arms and laughed, leaning against the doorway as her friend finally tumbled her way down the stairs. Chanyeol glanced over at Sehun, expecting him to say something but then soon realized his friend's mouth was pressed shut. And his face slowly started to...become blue? Panicking, he nudged Sehun with his elbow before the younger boy let out his breath, choking as he tried to gather as much oxygen as he could. Out of concern, the girl beside Soojung took the boxes from him while Soojung herself began to pat his back.

    "Oh god, are you okay?" Sehun nodded as he was crouched over, hands on his knees as he gathered his breath and choked out an "I'm fine it's okay." Chanyeol felt nothing but embarrassment for his friend, but wondered who took the boxes from Sehun. Looking up, he was face to face with a baby-faced girl, short hair curved against her face. And she wasn't short like most of the girls he met. She was almost at his height, and she was stunning. Holy . Both boys at this point were silent; one in awe and the other still trying to catch his breath from holding it in for too long. Jinri had brought the boxes into the kitchen while Soojung came back out with a bottle of water, handing it to Sehun. She felt almost guilty, thinking that her words were what caused him to choke (although she wasn't sure why her question would have that kind of effect on him). 

    "Ah, actually this is our first time trying it out. Our manager thought it'd be nice to give you guys something since it seems you're sort of like a regular customer and all." Chanyeol finally managed to stutter something out, trying to maintain his composure as his eyes constantly darted towards Jinri. 

    "Oh, oh I see! I told you, Soojung. Being a chicken lover has its benefits, pft. She thinks that if I eat too much chicken, I might get a heart attack or something like that. Chicken is always good for you." Jinri nudged her friend and laughed, facing Chanyeol with a wide grin. Oh boy, how he felt like he was going to have the heart attack himself.

    Sehun finally regained his senses and diverted his attention towards Soojung while Chanyeol was busy staring at Jinri. He had almost forgotten his plan, and he had hoped that it would be a hit if he tried it. Clearing his throat, he leaned just a bit towards Soojung and raised his brow.

    "Excuse me miss, but I believe your beauty stunned me to the point where I almost forgot to breathe. I'm going to need your name and number for insurance purposes." Soojung stared at him with a poker face blanketed across her features. It was silent between them two before the tiniest grin cracked on her lips, and soon she bursted out laughing.

    "Oh, that's good. And if I give you my name and number for insurance purposes, I'm going to assume you'll have to take me out for some interrogation too, am I right?" She raised a brow back at him, holding her hand out to indicate that she was going to really put her number in his phone. The joy that he felt was incredible, and he shrugged before handing him his phone.

    "I suppose you're right, miss. I hope you don't mind if I have to take you out for interrogation some day. I'd think it's an absolute must." He was feeling proud of himself as Soojung handed him the phone back. He noticed that she sent herself a text, and a text from her own phone was sent after.

    "As long as it's you who's interrogating me and no one else, I'm up for anything." All four of them had become so engrossed into their own conversation that the boys hadn't realized it was getting dark. Saying their goodbyes, the two made their way back to work with equally goofy and almost terrifying smiles.

 

 

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

a/n: screams i'm so sorry for going missing you guys. i've been busy with school and roleplays lately - oops. but i promise i will try to update weekly and more often from now on! this chapter's a bit longer just as compensation for having to put up with me for those who are still subscribed. thank you for being patient! <3