First

Change of Plans

They promised to each other that nothing would change.


“Stop running around!” He yelled.

The boy refused to listen and continued to run through his bedroom and down the hallway only to return to his bedroom once again. He was testing his older brother’s patience as per usual. His brother was busily typing on his laptop, trying to finish his homework in time. He had fallen behind in his work because his younger brother asked him to play baseball with him outside.

His younger brother. His name was Kim Hyunwoo. He was a nine year old boy with short brown hair and clear brown eyes. He had a blue t-shirt which was his favourite. It matched with his favourite beige shorts which he happened to wear all the time—along with his blue t-shirt of course. He was a ball of energy and always had a bright smile plastered on his face.

“Hyunwoo, I swear if you don’t stop right now,” He began.

“What are you going to do?” He asked from the stairs with a boyish grin plastered on his face.

Kai took a deep breath and was about to speak when someone else spoke before he could.

“Hyunwoo, are you bothering your bother again?” She asked as she tickled him.

“No,” Hyunwoo said in between laughter.

“I know you are,” She tickled him before giving him a rest and carrying him to his bedroom.

“Let’s play with the blocks, okay?”

“Alright! I’m going to make a house.”

“Okay,” Ara smiled at Hyunwoo.

Lee Ara, a long-time friend of Kai who also happened to get along with Hyunwoo very well. Even though he was an extremely hyper child, Ara didn’t mind. She could spend the entire day with him without a single complaint. She was quite the opposite of Kai, who got annoyed easily.

Sungyeol who came into the home with Ara went into Woohyun’s room. He stared at the messy state of the bedroom and shook his head before picking up things which were lying around on the floor.

“How much work do you have left?” Sungyeol asked.

“One more paragraph of the philosophy essay, I’ll finish it quickly then we can leave.”

Sungyeol looked up at the clock and grimaced, “let’s hope so.”

The three planned on going to visit the University they aspired to attend in a year. The new semester had just started for school and this being their last one, was harder than ever. Everyone was battling to get a spot in the university of their choice and they all knew that even small mistakes could be vital that year.

“Are you excited to go on the campus tour?” Kai asked as he flipped through pages of his textbook.

“Sure,” Ara shrugged as she walked into the bedroom.

“Well from the pictures, it seems like it will be amazing,” Sungyeol commented.

“Where’s Hyunwoo?” Kai asked as he looked at Ara.

“He’s playing with his blocks.”

“I don’t know what to do with that child,” Kai shook his head.

“You just need to learn how to deal with him, Kai. If Ara can, even though she’s always so rude and cold-hearted, then so can you,” Sungyeol said as he pat Kai’s head.

Kai ducked his head away and scowled at Sungyeol, “Just let me finish my work so we can leave.”

It was ten in the morning and everybody had been up since seven. Kai played with Hyunwoo for an hour or so and then started on his essay. Ara and Sungyeol on the other hand, helped their mother clean the yard.

Ara and Sungyeol were fraternal twins who lived with their mother and father. They lived down the street from Kai’s house and visited him often. The three were best friends since middle school and all were planning on attending the same University the following year.

“Do you remember what bus we need to take, Yeol?” Ara asked.

“Yea, I have it all in my phone.”

“If we get lost it will be all your fault,” Ara said as she walked out of the room to go back to Hyunwoo.

“She always blames things on me,” Sungyeol muttered.

○●○●○

“Hurry up, Kai,” Sungyeol yelled as he put his shoes on in the foyer of the house.

“I’m trying!” Kai replied as he ran down the stairs with one arm through his jacket and another holding on to his backpack.

“Here, wear these shoes,” Ara picked out a pair of sneakers for him.

“Thanks,” Kai breathed out. “Mom, we’re leaving now!”

“Okay, have a good time, children!” Mrs. Kim replied from the kitchen.

“Hyung, take me with you!” Hyunwoo said as he tugged on Kai’s jacket.

“I can’t. Just stay home, alright?” Kai said as he put his shoes on.

“You’re being mean!” Hyunwoo yelled as he crossed his arms over his chest.

“I’m sorry but this is for big kids,” Kai looked his younger brother in the eye.

“I’m a big kid too, Hyung. You told me that the other day.”

“Hyunwoo, we’ll bring you back a treat, alright?” Ara said, trying to compromise with the child.

“I want to come with you, I don’t need a treat,” Hyunwoo began crying.

○●○●○

“We’re too late,” Kai grumbled. “Hyunwoo always ruins everything.”

The last tour of the University had already started without the three. Hyunwoo wouldn’t let them leave and they had to spend half an hour trying to persuade him to stay at home. He threw quite a big tantrum and refused to compromise with anyone. Kai, as usual, grew angry with him quickly.

“I guess we’ll have to give ourselves a tour then,” Ara shrugged and began walking to the closest building.

Kai and Sungyeol looked at her questioningly, before deciding to follow her. They had nothing to lose now anyway.

“This building is the department of architecture,” Ara read on a sign. “Hm, this is for you Kai.”

Kai dreamed of one day being a famous architect. He had the artistic and mathematical skills needed. He always ranked first in his math classes and was always featured in art exhibitions. This only encouraged Kai to become better and better.

“The building hasn’t been fully constructed so that architect students can study based off it,” Ara read out.

“Hm, it looks like it’s going to fall anytime,” Sungyeol said as he looked up at the pipes and wires.

“No, it looks stable,” Kai pointed out. “Let’s go explore some more since we don’t have someone actually showing us around.”

○●○●○

“The science labs are amazing.” Sungyeol commented in awe.

Sungyeol dreamt of being a doctor. He had always been interested in the human body and could read about it for days. Sungyeol knew exactly what program he wanted to study and what med school he wanted to go to after earning is Bachelors of Science. He had it all planned out.

Ara, on the other hand, had no idea what she wanted to do. She was terribly confused about what she wanted to study in university and had no idea what programs to apply to. She found herself doing well in all her classes but didn’t find anything she really liked. Ara hated being as confused as she was.

“Let’s go now,” Ara said as she looked at her watch for the time. “We’ve been here for hours and I’m hungry.”

“Don’t you want to look around for something you would like?” Kai asked as he looked over her shoulder at the time.

“Not really,” Ara muttered and began walking away.

“She always walks away from us,” Sungyeol shook his head.

“And we always follow her,” Kai laughed.

○●○●○

After the three ate, they began walking back to the subway station. Ara was in between Kai and Sungyeol who both had their hands shoved in their jacket pockets. The three were walking in silence but comfortably.

“I wish we got to go on the tour,” Kai said randomly.

“You already said that,” Ara pointed out.

“Well I was really looking forward to this.”

“Do you want to play laser tag?” Sungyeol asked, ignoring what the two were talking about.

“Sure,” Kai agreed, slightly excited.

They played for two hours and by the end of their game, they were exhausted.

○●○●○

“That was so much fun!” Kai grinned.

“Someone’s happier than before,” Sungyeol sang.

“Even though he lost,” Ara smirked as she looked at Kai.

“I let you beat me, alright?”

“Sure you did,” Ara laughed as Kai began tickling her.

Sungyeol smiled at the two and walked behind them. The sun was setting and the atmosphere was amazing. Everything felt warm and it reminded the three that nothing could destroy the fun they had when they were with each other.

“I guess we can thank Hyunwoo for this, right Kai?” Sungyeol asked.

“Yea,” Kai smiled as he looked down at his feet.

“Hyunwoo has a way of making your day better,” Ara smiled as she hooked her arms through Sungyeol and Kai’s.

“An annoying way,” Kai smirked.

Ara pushed Kai a bit, “Don’t be mean.”

“You’re one to talk, you always call me mean things!” Kai accused.

“Whatever,” Ara muttered.

The three burst into laughter after a couple of silent seconds. Their laughter didn’t stop there, they told each other jokes on the subway and on the bus. They smiled about the smallest things and vowed to remember moments like those.


But a lot could happen in a year.