Four

Our Pinky Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Min Ah's POV

I woke up with a pain in my head, feeling so much cold that even my favorite winter blanket couldn’t warm me. I crouched myself like a ball and yawed loudly as I cover my face. Good thing it’s my off today, I could spend hours in bed as much as I want to.

I was about to doze off when I felt something tugging on my blanket,

I turned around to check who is it only to find my mother laying on the other side of my bed. She is facing me, also crouching like a ball, eyes closed and mumbling something inaudible.

I chucked.

I examined her face tenderly. I noticed some lines are beginning to form in her under-eye area and her skin looked paler than the usual, but nevertheless, she still look beautiful as ever.

As I examined further, I noticed there’s a small piece of white bandana around her forehead, and there is something written on it.

So I tried to tilt her head, careful not wake her up, for me to be able to read it.

“Happy birthday my dear Min Ah” I read,

Then I saw a small party popper resting in her hands, and a beautiful cake in my study table.

I smiled. So she wants to surprise greet me but end up sleeping in my side? My mother really never fails to amaze me huh.

I tap her forehead lightly while covering her with my blanket. Still smiling, I kissed her temple and whispered thank you.

I’m just so happy to have a mother like her. I’m truly blessed, am I? She really shows how much she cares about me.

Though there’s this time when I got really mad at her for hiding the truth about my appa.

She basically told a fake story about my appa being in a faraway land and gave me false hope that someday he will come back for me when the truth is that my appa doesn’t really care about my existence.

When I found that out for exactly three years ago now, I got really angry at her, to the point that I almost ran away from home,

she tried to reconcile with me, but I was so hurt that time. I couldn’t even look at her eyes. But when I saw her crying, looking so weak and telling me how much she loves me and begging for my forgiveness, that see can’t live without me... that, I couldn’t take it no more.

Besides, who am I not to forgive my mother who sacrifice all, even her own family, just to let me live in this world? So yeah, Apparently, I also told to be as an unwanted child in my mother’s side.

After learning and accepting all the truth about my father and my mother’s family, thank goodness our relationship has become stronger and deeper. No more lies, no more secrets.

I was about to get off my bed when I heard my mother groaned.

“Hey sweetheart, where are you going?” She blinked and sat up.

“Good morning umma” I smiled,

“Oh yeah, Good—omo! Happy birthday My Min!” She snapped and accidentally popped the party poppers in front of my face.

I got shocked by what she did and also her as well. We stayed a little like that in our spot for a while then started laughing…

“Omo omo! Sorry sweetheart” My mom said while removing the crackers in my hair,

“It’s ok umma” I said giggling.

“Happy birthday baby!” She once again greeted me and showered me with her sweet kisses,

“Eww umma, stop the cheesiness” I pout, joking her. “And besides, I’m 18 now, not a baby anymore, Remember?”

She stopped from kissing me and frowned, “then stop calling me umma if you don’t want to get called a baby”

I chuckled loudly; my mother can be so childish sometimes, eh? She also chuckled tapping my head lightly.

 

 

***

“Hey! Happy birthday Best friend!” Im Ji greeted with so much energy and gave me her super hug as soon as I got down in our staircase.

“Agh- I can’t breathe” I joked,

“It’s ok. I barely hug you, so bear with it a little longer” She squished me a little tighter,

So many positive vibes just early in the morning, and so far, I’m liking it.

“So, are you ready with our date?” she wiggled her brows to me while smiling cutely.

I showed her the two tickets of Lotte world in my right hand while I thumb up on the other hand as I gave her my boyish smile.

She giggled exaggeratedly and cling on my arms, “Let’s go oppa” she squealed.

I burst out laughing with our silliness, she also laughed with me.

“Ow, girls, having fun already?!” Mom beamed walking towards us. She probably heard our laughs in the dining area.

“You two have fun ok? Especially you baby” She reached my cheeks, “I will umma, don’t worry” I nodded.

“And come back early, so you can also celebrate your birthday with me”

“ne” I replied.

As we start going out in the house, I checked on my phone. It’s really weird I haven’t got a text nor call from Yunhyung. Don’t tell me, he forgot– nah, that’s impossible. That kid is more excited for my birthday than me so I doubt.

I shrugged at that thought and focus on what’s Im Ji saying.

***

“Agh! Stop stop! Give me a break!” Im Ji pulled me to the nearest chair to rest a bit. We’ve been circling on the whole lotte world and play here and there.

“You’re tired already? nah, weak”

“wow, tell me that after you ease your breathing” we both laughed and she pulled a bottle of water to drink,

I, on the hand, checked my phone again… Im Ji noticed me and asked, “Waiting for a call or something?”

“Nope…” I lied,

“Oh yea, I kept noticing you checking your phone from time to time... of course not” she smirked, am I that really obvious?

“Well… Yunhyung haven’t greeted me yet… none of the boys, in fact” I finally surrendered, it’s almost noon but none of them haven’t greeted me so it’s really weird and disappointing,

“ow shoot!” Im Ji snapped, I looked at her with a confused stare,

“I forgot to tell you… they had a call yesterday that they have an audition to be held today... it was from a big company and they only gave them short notice… so maybe they’re just busy right right”

I nodded. Oh wow, that’s good but why today? What a timing huh? I felt disappointed but at the same time happy for them, they’ve been waiting for this… but then again, I’ll truly appreciate if they just give me a fast call or a simple 'happy birthday' text... I feel upset but of course, I understand them… so yeah

I shrugged at that thought and we continued to play some more. It’s my day today, isn’t it? So I have to be happy. We rode every ride we saw and laughed all they long. We also talked about girly stuff and bought some souvenirs for home.

A when the clock at 6pm, we decided to go home.

We are walking in the neighborhood when I sensed someone’s following us. At first didn’t mind it but as we get closer to the house, that weird feeling won’t leave me. So I stopped. Im Ji, confused as to why I halt from walking, asked me “what’s wrong?”

I looked at her and replied truthfully, “I feel like someone’s following us”

It’s getting really cold now and we’re the only one in the street. Her eyes doubled from blinking and tugged on my jacket, “Ha ha, Min you’re funny” she said with doubtful voice, I think she also figure me out as she start fast walking, “let’s go, auntie’s waiting for us”

We started juggling a little fast just to get to the house as soon as possible. And when we reach our outside gate, we finally stopped and sighed in relief,

“I think we’re safe now” she almost whispered while easing her breath,

Me, on the other hand, panning myself even though it’s too cold already. We exchanged

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter