III

Surreptitious

 


 

“So, are you going to my house this weekend?” Hakyeon suddenly said, made the student of his startled, when they’re alone in her class that afternoon. Shifting quickly from her textbook towards her favorite teacher, she felt dumb, “Uh? Y-your house? Um, I-I think so, since I’ve no plans for this weekend and it’s better to start now, t-true?”

Hakyeon looked thinking for a second and after that he smiled towards his student, “That’s good. Have you finished it?” Eunyoung looked back to her textbook. Yeah I’ve done it since 15 minutes ago, in my mind.

“I guess, please check my answers,” Eunyoung said, giving Hakyeon her book. Leaning one of his hand on the table behind him, he carefully read Eunyoung’s answers on her book. When he spotted a mistake, he was about to correct it but finding no pen inside his pocket so he borrowed Eunyoung’s pencil.

“Eunyoung, can I borrow your pencil?” Eunyoung’s heartbeat was so loud she could scarcely hear the man in front of her talking. But she still heard it.

“Sure,” she said. Their fingers brushed—whether it was accidentally or Eunyoung or maybe Hakyeon did it on purpose, only God knows—and Eunyoung jolted at his touch. She tried not to be too obvious.

“It’s should be like this, Eunyoung. Don’t forget about it, if you use ‘did’ before the verb, the verb must be verb 1, and you shouldn’t add the ‘-ed’,” he said as he scribbled the words on Eunyoung’s textbook. “Got it?”

Nodding, Eunyoung replied, “Yes, Sir.” Hakyeon smiled, “You did this one better than the last lesson. It’s good,” he said as he closed Eunyoung’s book and gave it back to the girl, along with her pencil. “I think that’s enough for today, looking forward to our next meeting at my house. You can bring your notebook and pens. I’ve many resources at my home, and I can lend you some.”

Eunyoung bowed, “That’s great, Sir! I-I’m looking forward to it too,” she replied shyly. Hakyeon chuckled lightly, “You should go home quickly, it’s getting late too.”

The tall girl nodded again, “See you this weekend, Sir.”

 

                ‘Hakyeon-ssaem, I’m going to your house now, are you at home?’

Eunyoung giggled reading her own message to him—gosh, that’s not yet his reply though! She dressed nicely that day. Walking in a blue v-neck with denim jeans, casual sneakers and carrying her school bag—it was practically emptied before—oh, and of course with a huge smile, she bid her goodbye towards her aunt, and her best-friend.

“Yewon unnie, I’m going!” She said. Whispering, Yewon said, “Good luck! Fighting!” and fisted her palms. Eunyoung giggled once more and hopped outside.

Her driver waiting outside, and asked as soon as he saw Eunyoung, “Miss, where are you going today?” Eunyoung shook her head, “No, Jiyeop-ssi, I’m going by myself today.”

Jiyeop—the driver—widened his eyes, “But Miss, I don’t think your aunt will let you?” Eunyoung let out a little laugh, “It’s okay, Jiyeop-ssi, I’ve told her, and she said it’s okay. It’s not far from here, I only need to walk pass 2 blocks. Besides, we need to save the earth by reducing the pollution, right?”

The driver bowed, “If that’s what you want. Please take care, Miss.”

“I will.”

 

                ‘Yes I’m at home. You can come now.’

Oh look, even his message looks so cool, I think I’m gonna die…

She took one last glimpse at her phone screen that shows her the address of her favorite teacher. After making sure that she’s standing in front of the right house, she rang on the bell.

“Oh you’ve came. Come inside, Eunyoung-ssi,” Hakyeon, the hottest English teacher, opened the door for his student. Anticipating him to say something like, “You look great today” or “You dress really nicely”, Eunyoung secretly batted her eyelashes and throwing her best smile to him. “Good afternoon, Sir!”

Oh. My. Holy. Shisus. Hakyeon-ssaem. In. Casual. Clothes. I’m. Dying.

Only smiling back as a reply, Hakyeon led the girl inside his modern house. “Okay so this is my house. It’s not big, but it’s comfortable. I’m sorry I haven’t tidy some stuffs, but please make yourself comfortable here.  We can use the living room or the dining room.”

Eunyoung thought, wherever as long as I’m still in this house, and more importantly with you. “The living room will be nice.”

“The living room, okay.”

Hakyeon tutored a few more basics before going on the lesson Eunyoung’s studying at school. They—well Eunyoung—had a really good time. Studying privately with Hakyeon never leaving her side—well twice or thrice he left her to grab some food for her—in his house. Oh this day couldn’t be better!

Hakyeon spent 2 hours tutoring the girl. He knew a new side of her, that she’s diligent, a hardworking person, and crisis. But he also acknowledged that she wasn’t a meticulous one, and she struggles to focus on her work. He needed to work harder to teach this one, he thought.

The teacher also remembered one more thing. Eunyoung scented so sweet and feminine like chamomile.

 

“Be seeing you at school on Monday, Sir,” Eunyoung bowed once before she left the small residence. Nodding and smiling, the older replied, “Sure. You’ve improved really well today. I’m expecting high from you.”

I will, Sir. Just wait, I still want to be with you a little bit longer.

“I will. Thank you for today, Hakyeon-ssaem. I’ll be going now.”

“Please be careful.”

I WILL BE CAREFUL.

Hakyeon then closed the door of his house, and finally Eunyoung exhaled a long one—she didn’t know for how long she’d been holding her breath.

Rapidly turning her body around, she skipped to the main road with a huge, huge grin drawn on her face. She wanted to jump from tree to tree like the people in Naruto do, then do acrobatics spin like people in Tokyo Mew Mew do, then scream, well scream, just scream.

 

She ran as fast as she could to her spacious house and dragged Yewon to her room.

“Eunyoung, is that you? Why are you running?” asked her surprised aunt. Still trying to catch her breath, she shouted from the 2nd floor, “Y-yes, it’s me, auntie! Sorry!”

 

Locking herself inside her—spacious­—room, she then squealed in front of her best-friend-slash-maid. “Yewon unnie, I’m seriously going crazy right now!” Yewon, fixing her slightly un-tucked shirt replied, “I need every detail!” Eunyoung sat on her study chair, while Yewon—as usual—made herself comfortable on the carpeted floor. “Okay,” Eunyoung cleared , “So, when I first—”

“Eunyoung noona, what happened?” Suddenly, a boy with dark ash brown hair and green eyes opened the door to Eunyoung’s room. He’s pretty tall—or maybe Eunyoung was too short—for a 14 years old. His body was well-built, and his teeth were pearly white. Little freckles were visible under his slanted Asian eyes.

“Oh! Taylor, hey,” Eunyoung turned her head, “Nothing happened, noona was only over excited.” The half-Korean-half-English boy nodded and smiled a charming one, “Mom said I should check up on you. It’s good that it wasn’t a bad thing. Eunyoung chuckled, “Auntie Jess worry too much sometimes. Tell her that I’m okay, would you?” Taylor nodded, “Sure. Oh, and,” he smirked a playful one, “Noona should tell me who’s the guy,” then left.

Isn’t he such a cutie pie?

“Okay, let’s continue where we left off,” Eunyoung said, dragging her unruly hair to her sides.

 

A full hour passed with Eunyoung talking about her first experience of being privately taught by her hugest crush, Sir Cha Hakyeon.

“And after that, I was like ‘Oh, so that’s why!’ and he was like, ‘That’s what I’m talking about! I’m glad you’ve understood.’ Isn’t he adorable, unnie? But duh, who doesn’t know why we should put the ‘-ing’ after the ‘to be’? Oh my goodness,” Eunyoung was now laying on her stomach, with a pack  of unhealthy chips beside her.

Munching that unhealthy chips too, Yewon replied, “I’m really glad your plan works really smoothly, Eunyoung-ie. I hope you can tell him about how you truly feel towards him.”

Placing the unbitten chip back to its plastic bag, Eunyoung became silent. “That’s the problem, unnie. I can’t tell him about it. I’m too afraid. He’s beyond my reach, I’m afraid he won’t feel the same way about me. And I’m still negative he will someday.”

Yewon smiled, “Even though it won’t turn out as what we’re expecting it to be, you should try, and give your best to him, Eunyoung. That’s what I’m thinking.” She continued, “It’s all up to you, whether you want this whole plan to crumble down, fruitless, and him still not knowing about your feelings, or to crumble down but he knows about your feelings, but you still get to harvest the fruits, even though they’re bitter.”

Eunyoung has never heard such wise words. He played with her nicely polished fingers and sighed. “Though I prefer the former,” she bluntly replied, “But I won’t let my feelings to go waste.”

Yewon smiled a big one, “That’s what I’m expecting for you to say! Come on, don’t break down when you haven’t even try. Got it?” The younger smiled back, “I remember you saying the exact same words when we first planned these whole things out. Thank you unnie, you’re the person that keeps me going. I’ve never regretted having you as my best friend, and yet the best maid!” Both girls hugged each other tightly.

“I’ve never regretted being one of the maids here, too.”

 

A few days has passed. Eunyoung improved on her tests and quizzes—C+ was the worst—and both Hakyeon and Eunyoung were happy. Sometimes it hurts Eunyoung, the fact that she’s lying to the person she loves bothers her.

 

‘Hakyeon-ssaem, are you at home? I’m coming to your house now, ppyong! ^^’

Placing her now unicorn-covered iPhone on the table, she applied thin lip gloss and fixed her hair once more. She smiled at her reflection on the mirror. She dressed a bit too nicely today, a baby-pink tinted denim shirt, sloppily tucked into her white skirt. A pair of feminine black Mary-Jane and a pair of lacy socks, she felt so girl that day.

“Unnie, where are you going?” A young girl with two brown ponytails on her sides, looking less English than her brother Taylor—and her eyes are darker, Raven asked. Eunyoung squatted down to the younger’s eye-level and patted her head, “Unnie is going to study for my exams. Can I have a ‘fighting’?” her tiny hands, she smiled and said, “Unnie fighting!”

“Noona has been going out every weekend since last month,” Taylor, who was casually walking with a carton of strawberry milk said. “And you dress a bit too nice for studying. I’m smelling something.”

“And that smell is you, little trouble-maker. Go take a shower! I’ll be going now. Take a good care of your sister. Bye!”

 

“Hakyeon-ssaem, it’s me,” she rang on the doorbell and waited for the person to open the door. One full minute has passed, no sound was heard.

Oh, yeah, Hakyeon-ssaem hasn’t replied my text yet, she thought.

Grazing inside her bag, she was secretly cursing for not waiting for him to reply. Her hand took nothing but her pen, some stupid paper, and some candies. Wait, where was her phone again?

On my goddamn table.

She mentally slapped her face with a baseball bat. How can I be so stupid.

It’s goddamn far from her house. She took a bus for 10 minutes, and yes she lied about how near the house was so Jiyeop shouldn’t drive her there.

I will wait. I will wait for him. Until the sun sets.

 

It was already passed 12P.M. and again, Eunyoung mentally slapped herself—with a brick this time—for not having lunch before she go.

1 hour.

2 hours.

2½ hours.

3 goddamn hours.

The air got colder, and the wind blew harder. One drop, two drops, three drops, 10 drops, 100 drops, infinite drops of rain touched Eunyoung’s form.

No! I dressed way too nice for rain! No please!

13 minutes since the rain started to pour. Suddenly a screeching sound of car being stopped was heard. It was Hakyeon’s, she was sure. The guy seemed urgent, and walking out from the car with an umbrella in his hand, Eunyoung finally felt an angel was sent to her.

 

 

 

—;

21 subscribers... i'm so undoubtedly happy! anyway, hello! i'm finally back even though i'm still in the midst of midterm. sighs... i just updated Together Let's, and i finally managed to update Surreptitious. most of all, thank you very much for still subscribing to this story. that way, i know that you guys are still looking forward to the story. thank you. and guys, come on! please speak up your minds! i have to know about your thoughts for this story so far, so leave your comments below. soon this story will reach it's main complication keke. not gonna spoil it! oh and dear mechyni, thank you for the upvote! ^^ love ya! <3