Almost

In the Distance

She spun around to face Shin. Without hesitation, Shin ran to hug her. 'Gyu Won-ah!'

It almost felt like old times, holding her in his arms. Almost. Shin did a double-take as he realised Gyu Won was standing there stiffly with arms straight down.

Shin gently let go and put his hands on her shoulders as he stepped back to take a closer look at her. 'Gyu Won-ah, what's wrong?'

Gyu Won broke eye contact. 'Let's go somewhere to talk,' she said in a monotone.

Shin nodded silently and took her hand but Gyu Won quickly slipped her hand away. Her new harsh gaze seemed to falter when she saw Shin's crestfallen face, but only for a moment. She swallowed and quickened her pace. 'I'll explain when we get there.'

*      *      *      *      *

Shin picked out a small cosy cafe. He gestured for Gyu Won to go up the stairs first and followed with his suitcase. After they had ordered, Gyu Won stared at the bear still in her hand. Shin noticed her hands were shivering.

'Are you cold?' he asked her. Gyu Won nodded shyly and Shin frowned. Why had she become so quiet around him? It was almost as if they were strangers. Shin opened his suitcase and looked for something to give her to wear.

Minutes later, Gyu Won whispered, 'Where's that cardigan?'

Shin hesitated and looked up to see tears in her eyes.

'I left it in the room. It doesn't mean anything to me anymore,' he explained. Gyu Won bit her lip but couldn't stop a tear from dripping down her cheek.

'You gave it to her, didn't you?'

'No, Gyu Won! I thought we solved this!'

'I thought we did too, but I kept thinking about it and it just doesn't make sense!'

'What doesn't make sense?'

'You suddenly decided to come to London and then she was there on Skype, which is fine by me, but she was wearing your cardigan and-'

'Gyu Won, there is nothing going on between me and Samantha and... why are you here anyway?'

Gyu Won's eyes widened and she stood up. 'You don't even want me here, do you?' She stormed out of the cafe and even though Shin chased her, he lost her as she ran down the street. Shin sighed. At least he knew where she would go.

He stuck his arm out for a cab. 'To the airport please.'