On rainy day

[Series] The Happy Place to be

Dongwoon sets his foot in front of the café. He doesn’t have to wait for long, an innocent face appears behind the glass door greeting him. “Dongwoon-ah!”

“Gikwang-hyung,” he replies as he walks in.

“Just finished with class, did ya?” the happy Gikwang opens the door and ushers him to his usual spot.

Dongwoon slides his backpack off as he sits comfortably on the couch. “Yeah, and I need some dose of happiness,” he looks at Gikwang with puppy eyes.

“That won’t work on me,” the doorman shakes his head in disapproval.

Dongwoon rolls his eyes, “Since when my handsomeness doesn’t work?” he adds with a smile, “Please?”

Gikwang finally gives in. “All… righttt… What do you want, customer-nim?” he jokingly changes to formal tone.

“Just the usual one, iced coffee…”

“Ne,” Gikwang nods and leaves for the counter.

“… and stop talking to me with formality! Aren’t we friends already?”

 

Gikwang leaves his order note to Yoseob and smiles. This regular customer, Dongwoon is always nosy, yet friendly. He is not so many years apart from them. After going in quite often he insists to drop formalities, stating that they are his friends and should use casual tone instead.

His attention returns when silhouette of a person appears in front of the café. He swiftly moves towards the door.

 

“Welcome to the Happy Place.”

The customer looks up from his phone, “Ah, Gikwang-ah, hello.”

Gikwang recognizes his face. “Doojoon-hyung,” he greets him back. “Take out?”

“Yup,” replies Doojoon, putting his phone back inside the coat as he approaches the counter.

“Doojoonie! It’s been a long time,” Yoseob cheerfully welcomes him, eyes set on him. Doojoon’s face brightened. “Sorry haven’t got time to drop by,” Doojoon apologizes, “Many things going on in the company. It stresses the out of me.”

“Hai hai..” Yoseob responds cutely in Japanese. “An Americano to cheer you up?” he suggests.

Doojoon grins, “You always know what’s my favorite.”

 

“Iced coffee is ready. Gikwang-ah,” Junhyung calls out from his counter.

“Coming!”

 

****

 

The café is not so crowded that day after the hectic lunchtime. Around 5pm when people usually come after work, there are only a few customers inside including Dongwoon who is busy with his laptop. Maybe the rain that has been pouring since afternoon is the culprit. Gikwang is about to take five when his eyes catch a woman out in the rain. In reflex he opens the door.

“Hello there!! Come in! May I help you?”

“Um…” She looks back at him with a big question mark, but nods and follows him into the café anyway. His eyes start to observe. The woman brings big bags along with her. Brunette hair, skinny S line body, big eyes. She doesn't really look Korean.

This is bad. He clears his throat, trying to remember any English words, “C-can I help you?”

She digs her bag and pulls a phone out, “Can you help me to search for this place?” she asks slowly in English. She shows the screen for Gikwang to see. It’s a map of place around Ehwa University. His fingers are under his chin, thinking mode on. He knows how to get there, but how should he explain it to this foreigner?

Yoseob comes over with concerned look. “Let her sit first,” pulling out a chair for her. “Here,” he gives a towel to the mysterious woman. She thanks him and starts drying rainwater out of her hands and head.

“Something bothering you?”

Gikwang turns and Dongwoon already stands near their table, asking in perfect English. The woman’s face looks relieved, maybe happy there’s someone who can understand her language.

“What’s your name?” asks Dongwoon. “I’m Gina.”

“Gina, nice to meet you. I’m Dongwoon,” he greets while sitting on a chair next to her, “What can I do for you?”

Gina shows her phone to Dongwoon. “Can you help me to go to this place? I am an exchange student, I just arrive in Seoul this afternoon and I’m lost.”

Dongwoon adjusts his glasses position to focus on the screen, then nods in understanding. “Don’t worry, we will help you,” he assures her.

“Guys, she is an exchange student, and she needs to go to Ehwa University,” he explains to Gikwang and Yoseob, both looking at him. Their confusion clears up.

“So that’s it,” Gikwang responds. “Then we can just tell her how to go.”

“Wait for a moment.” Yoseob cuts him. “It’s still raining. Dongwoon-ah, can you ask her whether she has an umbrella?”

Dongwoon translates and she shakes her head. “Ah, too bad we don’t have an umbrella here either,” Yoseob grunts, “I left mine at home”.

“She can stay here for a while waiting the rain to stop.” Junhyung joins the three with a cup of steaming beverage. He hands the cup to the dazed Gina, “For you, hot chocolate,” Junhyung adds in broken English.

Gina receives it with a smile, “Thank you.”

Junhyung turns his head, “You’re welcome,” he replies softly before going back to the counter.

Soft instrumental piano plays in the background, uniting with the sound of rain outside. Dongwoon stays next to Gina, chatting with her in English. Entertaining her as well to kill time. Sometimes they laugh, joking in the language that Gikwang does not understand. Well, he still has dishes to clean.

He feels a pat on his shoulder. “Gikwang-ah, want to swap? There’s not much customer today anyway,” Yoseob offers.

“Thanks,” Gikwang appreciates it. He feels so tired and thankfully, a cup of steaming brown liquid appears in front of him.

“Drink,” Junhyung orders.

He looks up, puzzled, “What’s this?”

“Honey tea, good to prevent flu,” he shakes the cup a bit, gesturing Gikwang to take it. He sips from his own cup.

“Thanks again.”

“You’re welcome.” 

 

----

Hello there! Finally, the second chapter!!

I plan to write some idols to come to our cozy cafe! Do look forward to the next chapters ^^ 

Thank you for your votes and support!