A companion in need is a friend indeed

[Series] The Happy Place to be

"Argh!!" 

Yoseob rushes to Gikwang, who is holding his ankle in pain. In no time, Junhyung who has been sitting out watching the match follows to the soccer field.

"Gikwang-ah, are you okay?" Yoseob asks, his eyes as wide as marbles, filled with worry.

"I don't think so.. So sorry to make you worry, Yoseobie, Junhyungie.." Gikwang looks at both of his workmates with apologetic eyes.

Doojoon shakes his head. "No, it's me who should apologize.. If I don't ask you guys to play soccer with me.." he lets out a deep sigh and continues, "I went overboard and end up hurting you." 

"There's no need to be sorry, it's an accident," Junhyung adds in a calm tone. He sat besides Gikwang, eyes carefully examines his ankle.

"Doojoonie, can we use your car? I think we better get him treated."

 

****

 

The car door opens. Doojoon walks out to open door to the the middle seat.

"Can you walk?" he lends Gikwang a hand, which he receives. Junhyung lets Gikwang cling his other arm around his shoulder, helping hoist him up. It's Monday, a working day for them all. Even though Gikwang is injured, they have no choice since the cafe has to be in service. 

Yoseob pulls a key out of his hoodie pocket, stuffs it into the keyhole unlocking the cafe door. He waves to Doojoon and Junhyung who just successfully lift Gikwang out of the car, signaling them to go in.

The four of them enters the cafe. Yoseob turns on the light switches and the air conditioner while the other two guide Gikwang to the staff room. 

"Here," Doojoon passes two crutches, which Gikwang accepts and put against the wall besides the chair he is sitting on. "Thank you so much Doojoon-hyung. Sorry to bother you even in this early morning," apologizes Gikwang.

The other guy smiles, "No worries. We are friends, and friends help each other right?"

"You're right," Gikwang smiles back.

"Don't force yourself, okay? The doctor says you better don't do too much activities," he adds, patting Gikwang's shoulder lightly. He peeks at his watch. It's almost 7. He tidies his coat and walks out the room. "See you guys later, I have to go to my own workplace."

"Nevertheless, thank you Doojoonie," Junhyung asures him to the door. "I don't know how to repay your kindness. You are still our client."

Doojoon turns and faces his good friend, eyes twinkling, "A cup of warm americano will do."

 

****

"Welcome to the Happy Place!"

Dongwoon is startled to see a familiar face with greeting him. "Yoseob-hyung?" 

"Wah, if it's not Dongwoonie," the babyfaced guy brightens even more. Dongwoon nods at him politely, then steps in the cafe. His eyes dart around the interior. He cannot find what he is searching for. He asks the shorter guy besides him, "Where's Gikwang hyung?" 

"There," his finger points the cashier booth. Dongwoon squirts his sight, spotting the guy he is looking for, sitting behind the cashier machine. His fair face barely seen.

"I thought you are always the cashier guy. You two switched position?" Dongwoon asks in curiosity.

Yoseob shrugs, initially wants to hide this. But seeing the deep eyes like a foreigners' staring at him intently, he gives up. "He got injured. So for the time being, I will be the waiter and the doorman replacing him," he explains. 

Dongwoon's long legs get him in front of the cashier straight away. "Gikwang-hyung! I heard you got injured. Are you alright?" 

The man who is called looks up. "I'm okay. I sprained my ankle playing soccer. So foolish of me," he scratches his head in embarrassment. "It will heal soon, don't worry," he adds with a smile, his eyes turn into lovely cresent moons. Yet behind that smile, Dongwoon knows Gikwang is actually in pain. But he doesn't want other people to see it.

 

****

What can I do to help him..?

These thoughts has been circling in his mind since he left the cafe. Even though Gikwang may not know it, he has been helping Dongwoon a lot. His bright and cheerful personality, his energy to work and kindness to serve, his eye-smile that brings peace and calm to his heart whenever he sees it.. It is frustrating when someone you are close and cares about with is in trouble yet you cannot help it. Or rather, do not know how to help. Dongwoon knows, being a university student he is young and has no experience at work. Not to mention he feels awkward and out of place sometimes. Yet, there is something he can actually contributes. 

The next day, even though his class starts in the afternoon, he gets ready early in the morning. The place he goes to is still closed. He leans his tall body against the door frame, waiting. Not long after, he catches three figures approaching within his field of view. One is using crutches, awkwardly walking. It must be Gikwang. The barista, Junhyung walks closely beside him, seems alert, ready to catch in case his colleague lost balance. 

"Good morning, Dongwoon-ah." Yoseob greets. Dongwoon startles, wondering when does he reaches the door. He grins and replies "Good morning hyung." 

"What brings you to the cafe this early?" he unlocks the door and pushes it, letting Dongwoon in. The younger man enters, then facing the three staff of the cafe. 

"Let me join you guys."

"HUH?" Yoseob, Gikwang and Junhyung exchange glances. They stare at him, dumbfounded. Dongwoon clears his throat, re-explaining his expression, "I mean, let me help out in this cafe. Starting today."

Yoseob throws him a strange look. "Um, but don't you have school?"

"You can help as a part-timer. If you want to," Junhyung offers, and turns to Yoseob, "Besides, with him helping here, Gikwang can have more time to rest. And he can heal faster."

"You're right," Yoseob replies. His lips curves into a wide grin.

"Welcome to the Happy Place. As part of our team."

 

--------------

SOOO SORRYYYY FOR THE SUPER LATE UPDATE guys.. It's been months and just got time to visit AFF to let my creative juices flow and my fingers type even though it's almost 2:30am and I got work. Here's a treat to you guys for staying with this fanfic of mine. Dongwoonie joins the team! ^o^

If you have any suggestion or critics or praise or anything, feel free to write it in the comment. I'll appreciate it ^^