Chapter 5

Of Tea and Music *officially on hiatus*

*First off um sorry I'm a terrible person and I never update anything...*

 

CHAPTER 5!!!!!

The next morning, when Jongdae got to the store, he was in for a surprise. He found himself locked out (since his keys had mysteriously disappeared), but he couldn't have gotten in even if he had wanted to because the door itself was blocked on the inside by three large black bookcases that the shop used to store CDs. A poster was taped on the outside with a crudely drawn octopus shouting 'GO AWAY CHEN'. The so-directed person stood in front of the doors in shock and confusion.  

"What.The. Heck." Chen muttered as he ripped the poster off the door. 

From inside giggling could be heard and a loud "Shh Chanyeol, he'll hear us!" 

Chen glared at the door before crumpling up the poster in his hands. 

"BYUN BAEKHYUN LET ME IN RIGHT NOW! I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE! " He shouted, throwing the wad of paper at the door.

Jongdae was met with silence.

"OH MY GOD BAEKHYUN! " Jongdae shouted again, ready to rip his AND Baekhyun's hair out.

" Go away!" Came a reply.

"PARK CHANYEOL I CAN NOT BELIEVE YOU! LET ME ON! I AM LITERALLY THE ONLY ONE THAT ACTUALLY WORKS HERE!" Chen banged on the glass doors with open hands for emphasis. 

"Baek says no." Chanyeol replied.

"Dammit Chanyeol!  Don't let him know we are here!"

"Nevermind!" Chanyeol yelped, "No one is here, no Chanyeol and especially no Baekhyun,  but you should still go away!"

Chen groaned and leaned his forehead on the cold doors,"What did I do to deserve this God?"

"You deserve it because there's no other way you'll actually man up and go talk to Xiumin-shi!" Baekhyun shouted from behind the shelves.

Chen jerked off the door,"That's what this is about!?"

"Yes! So get over there now!  Did you even look at my poster?"

"How was I supposed to guess that from an octopus?" Chen picked the offending paper off the ground and threw it at the door again.

"OCTOPUS! THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE HIM YOU IDIOT!" Baekhyun growled angrily.

"WELL, IT'S A DAMN GOOD THING YOU'RE NOT AN ART TEACHER! " Chen retorted, staring angrily at the back of a black shelf.

" I SWEAR TO EVERYONE GOD OUT THERE, KIM JONGDAE.  IF YOU DO NOT CROSS THAT STREET RIGHT NOW I WILL HIT YOU WITH A BUS!"

"Hyung, we don't own a bus..."

"GOD DAMNIT CHANYEOL!"

Chen sighed and weighed his options. He could deal with Baekhyun or save a couple gray hairs and walk across the street. Deciding the latter was the better option, Chen turned and trudged across the street (Grumbling the whole way and nearly getting hit by a bus on his own). When he reached the opposite sidewalk he stopped and took a breath. 

" Alright, you can do this Kim Jongdae." Chen held up a fist and whispered "fighting" before reaching to open the Tearoom's door. Upon entering Chen was swamped with the scent of herbs and spices. The room felt warm, not just in heat but in atmosphere.  It had dark wood floors and tables. Wood tried chairs with jade green cushions scattered around tables. The walls were painted a warm cream with pictures of different kinds of herbs, spices,  and teas placed advantageously around the room. To the immediate left of the door was a small raised platform where Chen had seen musicians play on occasion. Continuing forward from the door was the order counter. Chalkboard menus hung above the counter with colorful writing displaying the available teas. A refrigerated case next to the counter held small pastries like croissants,  cake or pie slices, and various biscuits or bread items.

 "Hello welcome to the Tearoom! How may I help you?" A girl greeted him happily from the register. 

Chen looked up from standingawkwardly in the middle of the restaurant and shuffled over to the girl. 

"First time here? " she asked with a giggle. 

Chen nodded silently, unable to speak. 

" Alright then,  our signature teas are written on the black board on your left," she pointed at the board, "and our seasonal teas are on the right. Each tea mix is made back in the kitchen. Every customer has a chance to see this happen through that door," she pointed to the right of the counter, "And lastly, we pride our selves in serving your tea to you in the comfort of our lounge with artistic and antique tea pots."

" Wow Youngjae,  any more talking and he might just die on the spot," A teasing voice came from behind Chen,"Look at him.  He's terrified. "

A slim brunette stepped around Chen and behind the counter. He wore a mocha colored apron with the store's icon on it in white, a steaming teacup.

" Kim Heechul at your service, " he winked and gave Chen a flirtatious smile, "You look like you need something strong. I'd recommend our Breakfast Tea. It's a great way to kick start your morning."

"Yes, trust Heechul-oppa.  He's great at guessing people's taste!"Youngji added,"Even if his fashion may be questionable. "

"Yah!"

" I guess..." Chen replied, slightly overwellmed by the two workers' banter.

Soon enough Chen found himself seated at a table neat the  front window and stage.  When he looked out,  he could easily see the music shop, as well as Chanyeol moving the shelves back to their original positions.  He cringed inwardly, hoping that Xiumin hadn't noticed him staring from across the street all too often. From his vantage point he could see the desk where he sat during the work day, now occupied by Baekhyun pointing to where Chanyeol should push the shelves. If Chen could see all of Baekhyun's expressions from here, what could Xiumin have seen. He shuddered at the thought.  

" Good morni-Chen-shi? "

Chen looked away from the window to see Xiumin standing before him holding a tray with a hand painted teapot and matching teacups.

"H-Hey," Chen stuttered. He was momentarily blinded by the ginormous grin that broke across Xiumin's face.

"Wow! I was beginning to wonder if you were still alive or not. Has it been busy across the street? " Xiumin asked jokingly.

"Ah, n-not really," Chen cursed himself right after the words fell from his mouth.  He should have just said yes.  At least then he'd have an excuse for not coming sooner. 

" No? Oh, well  sure there's been other things," Xiumin smiled shyly and placed the tray down on the table.

Chen could have sworn he heard disappointment in his voice.

"Breakfast Tea, eh?" the Tearoom employee asked quietly as he placed a red-brown napkin on front of Chen. He placed a teacup on the napkin before reaching for the kettle,"Rough morning? "

 Chen groaned as he was reminded of what happened not ten minutes ago.Chen braced his elbows on the table and let his head fall into them and his shoulders sag.

" You have no idea..."

Xiumin giggled at Chen's change in body language," So you're really going to need this."

Chen lifted his head and watched as Xiumin expertly poured the tea into the small teacup. Warm steam wafted out of the cup and a strong smell permeated the air. 

"This tea  has congou, pekoe, and pouchong in it along with some cinnamon and other spices." Xiumin informed and handed the cup to Chen.

" I have no idea what you just said but i hope that means it's good," Chen laughed awkwardly and took the cup.

Bringing it up to his lips, Chen blew cautiously over the surface before tipping the contents into his mouth. Xiumin's hopeful, glittering eyes looked at him from across the table paired with a soft smile, which immediately fell when Chen coughed up the tea partially into the cup and the rest on a mixture of him and the table. Chen nearly slammed the teacup on the table to save himself from dropping the ceramic, spilling a third of the remaining tea out. His eyes filled with tears as he smacked his chest repeatedly,  coughing never ceasing.

" Oh my god! Oh my god! Are you ok? I-I'll go get some water!" Xiumin panicked and rushed to the back. 

Chen stayed at the table trying to calm his violent coughs. By the time Xiumin came back with a to well and a bottle of water, Chen had ceased his coughing but was hiding his face in his hands. Xiumin rushed to his side and pat him on the back soothingly. However,  Chen froze at the touch. Small tendrils of lightning shot through his body as he blushed under the cover of his hands. 

" Chen-shi? " Xiumin asked worriedly. 

" I'm ok," Chen wheezed from between his fingers. 

"Have some water...please?" 

Chen blindly reached out for the bottle. Xiumin handed it to him after a confused pause.  The younger turned his back to Xiumin before twisting the bottle open and drinking.  Chen quickly recapped the bottle and wiped any remnants of tea or tears from his face before turning back to face Xiumin.

"Thanks, " Chen smiled sheepishly. His face was a little red from the coughing and from embarrassment. 

" No problem..." Xiumin blinked, "W-was it that bad?"

Chen's eyes widened in shock , ' Crap, I probably just insulted him really bad. '

"N-no! I-I mean...yeah i-it w-was kinda-um...I" Chen sputtered. his brain was unable to comprehend anything at the thought of insulting his crush. 

"So yeah, it was bad." Xiumin pouted, causing Chen to emit a strangled noise. 

" N-No...it was just...just really bitter?" Chen informed, eyebrows creased in attempt to show his sympathies. 

" I get that it's black tea and all, but is it really that..."Xiumin trailed off staring at the teapot, well more like glaring,"I can't be v that bad." 

Xiumin moved to pour himself a cup but Chen grabbed via hand and shook his head violently. 

" No. Save yourself," Chen croaked. 

"Now I have to try it," Xiumin raised an eyebrow at the other's odd behavior. 

He raised his own cup up to his lips and took a small sip, only to slam the cup down as a series of coughs rumbled up his throat. 

" Oh-cough-my-cough-god-cough!" Xiumin waved his arms around a little as if he had eaten something very spicy,"Nope. That's-cough-bad. Very bad."

Chen jumped out of his seat and pat the other on the back, just as the older had done the same. He quickly took the water bottle and offered it to the other. 

" Xi-Xiumin-shi?" Chen bit his lip as he watched the other gulp down the water. He could help but let himself think,'Indirect kiss!"

" Ugh, wow. Hate to think your first impression here was that," Xiumin gasped once he regained his breath.

" Don't worry,  I think you were my real first impression of the place, " Chen laughed before blushing at what he said,"I-I mean you're nice and all so your work place would probably be nice too... uh. .. I'll just stop talking now. "

Xiumin looked at Chen with an unreadableexpression before smiling big and laughing, "Ya know Chen, you're pretty funny. Come by tomorrow and I'll give you some real tea." 

He leaned over to Chen and nudged him in the side,"I'll make it myself to make sure it's trustworthy."

"Ah, heh...ok," Chen smiled shyly and looked away for a moment. Which really was a good thing because he saw a customer enter the music shop, and with Baekhyun behind the counter he'll would ensue.

"Crap. I gotta get back to work," he turned to Xiumin and bowed quickly,"Thanks,  I'll take you up on your offer. But if I don't show up just come across the street and force me to come, ok?"

"No questions. Just do it," Chen smiled and cut Xiumin off when he wad about to speak. "See you tomorrow! " Chen waved cutely before running out of the restaurant. 

As soon as he left though, he came back in.

"Actually,  Xiumin-sshi.  Could you give me the rest of that tea? I know two people that really need it."

"Your rough morning?" Xiumin asked in surprise as he went to the back to get the take away cups.

" Is about to get a lot better," Chen smiled wickedly as he took the cups of tea. 

---------------______-------------____________--------------------____________---------

 

Xiumin was in the middle of cleaning up the mess he and Chen had made when he thought he heard faint screaming.

"Youngji," he looked up to the girl at the register,"Did you hear something? "

"No," the girl replied in confusion,"Unless you count Heechul-oppa laughing his off in the kitchen because he slipped some Goldenseal root powder in a batch if tea. "

"KIM HEECHUL!"

------------ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -'--------------- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -------------------- - 

 

NOTE:so......hi. please don't kill me. 2000 words of blerg. ..I'm so sorry I'm not entirely sure what's going on with this story but I have some ideas but if you guys have any go ahead and say so. Eventually I've got v to get these two idiots yo date so. ..yeah...sorry.  but you guys should check out my other stories.big have renewed sense of writing so every thing should be updated by...like....July. ..m

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sorry...

 

 

PANDA