(vi)

Coffee, tea or me?

part (vi)

 

 

Chaerin does come over after her last exam and brings along three other friends, including Dara who looks like she might faint from nervousness because its the first time she’s going to be meeting Youngbae after long nights of texting and eyes that never seem to leave her phone.

 

Chaerin doesn’t think she’s seen Dara this happy since the day she found out Chaerin was going to the same university as her, which brings back a lot of fond memories. She simply smiles as she watches Dara play anxiously with her fingers and tapping her foot impatiently. Apparently Dara is more serious about Youngbae than she’d thought she would be.

 

It’s nice seeing your best friend chase happiness so enthusiastically but it makes Chaerin wonder if she would ever be this open with her feelings— or more specifically her feelings for Jiyong.

 

The confession the previous night had been a step forward though, but now she’s not so sure it was a good idea because a small ‘okay’ could mean anything, rejection being no exception.

 

She pushes it to the back of her mind as they walk towards the counter where Jiyong has his back bent and appears to be searching for something under the counter.

 

“Hey,” Chaerin greets, grinning and Jiyong jerks up, head hitting the edge of the counter as he does.

 

It’s the stupidest action and has Chaerin doubling over as Jiyong rubs the top of his head, grimacing. The three friends behind watch curiously before they too start laughing and Chaerin thinks Jiyong’s face has never been this red.

 

“Way to make a first impression,” Chaerin teases, leaning over the counter.

 

Jiyong rolls his eyes playfully. “Whatever.” Then his face takes a 180 degree change as he flashes the most irresistable smile at Chaerin’s friends. Irresistable to Chaerin, at least.

 

“Hi, I’m Jiyong.” he introduces, extending a hand to Bom who introduces herself as well. He does it to Minzy as well before he stops at Dara, who’s kind of distracted and is staring over the bookshelf where Youngbae is arranging books-that-do-not-actually-need-to-be-arranged-but-it’s-his-job-so-whatever.

 

He looks back at Chaerin, grin in place. “Well, why don’t you just take a seat? I’ll prepare the drinks.”

 

Chaerin sees a glint in his eyes that remind her of the confession from the night before and it makes her stomach bubble in the most uncomfortable way as she leads the three of them to one of the empty seats with the comfortable chairs and candles on the table. Because what does that glint mean, exactly?

 

Dara chirps happily next to Chaerin because from this seat she gets a perfect view of Youngbae’s concentrated face and barely covered chest as he takes out a stack of books before putting them back in the same place and repeats.

 

“So that’s the guy you like?” Bom begins, turning to look at Jiyong. Chaerin thinks Bom is talking to Dara and sputters incoherently when she realises the question is directed at her.

 

“What?” she asks, giving Bom an incredulous look before her knowing gaze falls on Dara. Of course Dara would tell all her other friends about her love life. Chaerin didn’t know what she was expecting, really.

 

“She was going to find out anyway,” Dara mumbles, avoiding eye contact.

 

“He’s cute,” Minzy comments from the side, nodding in approval. Chaerin flushes because she can’t count the number of times that thought has occurred in her mind.

 

Said cute guy appears before them moments later with two trays in hand, full of cakes and various drinks that has Chaerin frowning because she’s pretty sure Suka had helped prepare some of those drinks and if it were possible she’d rather nothing Suka makes come less than an inch near .

 

As Jiyong sets the large platter of food on the table, Chaerin almost begs for a hole to swallow her as she notices her friends nudging each other and whispering, as well as Jiyong’s curiously raised eyebrow at the scene before him. Chaerin tries to shrug it off in a desperate gesture as if to say ‘Hey don’t worry, they’re usually retarded. It’s no big deal.’ and Jiyong smiles lopsidedly at her in reply. Coming from Jiyong, she imagines it means something like 'It's fine, I expected them to be as weird as you.'

 

“Dig in everybody! This is all on the house." He points out, flashing his pearly whites at the guests. "Youngbae, Suka, get over here!” Jiyong calls out as he settles himself opposite Chaerin. Suka, in his eagerness to join the group, drops a row of sparkly clean ceramic plates onto the ground and runs over. Ignoring the glares he gets from the other customers, he takes a seat beside Jiyong, not before bowing a few times in apology as Jiyong eyes the mess in the kitchen. “Nevermind, clean it later,” Jiyong sighs. Youngbae, on the other hand, walks over casually and Dara swoons in her position, body falling onto Chaerin’s. He takes a seat next to Dara and slings an arm around her, facial expression unchanged. Chaerin fails to hide her amusement at Dara’s flushed ears and cheeks.

 

Exchange of greetings and several awkward moments later, all of them begin stuffing themselves with cakes and all sorts of different drinks, some of which Chaerin has never tried before. And surprisingly, all very drinkable.

 

“So, how did you start this place all on your own?” Bom asks Jiyong amidst casual conversation, mouth stuffed with chocolate brownie (some crumbs lands on Jiyong’s face). Jiyong, thankfully unfazed, thus begins the story Chaerin has heard a million times before and still never gets sick of. (Only in less detail, but its okay because Chaerin would prefer to keep the other bits and pieces to herself anyway.)

 

“Well... to put in very simply," he starts, "since I was five I’ve always wanted to manage my own cafe and my parents really supported my dream. So when I became of age to live on my own and take care of myself, they sent me to Italy on a three-year course to learn the art of coffee-making. I can’t take the credit all for myself, but during the three years, I worked really hard, juggling several jobs to earn money— enough money to rent a small area in this town once I got back. It wasn’t easy but once I’d collected enough funds to build this cafe, business took off and it just continued from there. Of course my parents chipped in, but proud to say most of this was me.” Beside Jiyong, someone taps his shoulder. “And with the help of Suka, of course.” Jiyong adds with fondness, before taking a sip of his Americano.

 

Bom nods slowly, eyeing Jiyong as though he just successfully passed the first milestone in a job interview. “Hmmm, that’s interesting. So are you single?” Minzy shoots, her feigned interest in Jiyong’s backstory completely giving out, and Chaerin notices the supportive squeeze on the arm Bom gives her. A dreadful realisation hits Chaerin.

 

They’re not really interested in his business, are they? They’re simply here to interrogate Jiyong to assess his suitability for Chaerin which, is completely unnecessary, because if anything, it should be the other way around. Someone should be grading Chaerin on whether she’s enough for Jiyong or not because she can’t think of a single flaw that Jiyong may have, while she could imagine Jiyong picking on one of her many inadequacies. She looks up at him, sipping his coffee like he isn’t the most flawless being in the world while Chaerin feels… just Chaerin. She bites her lip at the thought. Wow, does love always make a person feel especially insecure about themselves?

 

Chaerin pinches Bom on the thigh in an attempt to stop this little ‘interrogation’ and spare Jiyong the discomfort, watching as Bom suppresses a surprised yelp. Bom narrows her eyes at Chaerin. “Stay out of this Chaerin. It’s for your own good,” she says in hushed tones. Chaerin groans, releasing her grip and leaning back in defeat. She throws Jiyong an apologetic smile. Chaerin knows that once Bom has made up her mind about something, she doesn’t go back.

 

Jiyong seemingly notices what is happening and nods at Chaerin determinately. He puts down his cup, mouth tightening in a straight line as he prepares himself to face Chaerin’s unrelenting friends.


Meanwhile, Youngbae and Dara excuse themselves to the bathroom after not-so-subtly cuddling with each other in the corner. Chaerin sighs. This is going to be a long lunch.