(iv)

Coffee, tea or me?

 

part(iv)

 

 

10pm finds Chaerin hunched over the table, closing her eyes and trying to magically produce a thousand word essay on Beethoven. It doesn’t work, however, because when Chaerin opens her eyes, the sheet of paper in front of her is still blank and her head has not stopped throbbing.

 

She sighs and looks up, eyes flitting around the cafe. To her surprise, it’s completely empty now, save for Jiyong cleaning up the counter. Her stomach flops at the thought of being alone with Jiyong, which was a situation she’d tirelessly tried to avoid since this afternoon. Apparently she’d gotten so caught up in her work that she didn’t realise the cafe was already closing.

 

Her mind goes back to the conversation with Dara after she’d stalked Chaerin all the way to the cafe then indirectly confessed to Jiyong on her behalf. She’d walked back to the table hoping to find Dara avoiding her eyes in guilt and maybe receive an apology or two. Instead, she was met with Dara’s smug face as Chaerin sat down opposite her.

 

“Seriously, what do you think you’re doing here?”

 

“Trying to get you a boyfriend.”

 

“What?”

 

“Please, you’ve liked this guy for months, I think it’s about time you—”

 

“Months? I told you about him three days ago!”

 

Dara had sighed, reaching forward to grab Chaerin's hands.

 

“You have no idea how important observational skills are in our friendship, Chaerin-ah. It was painfully obvious from the start how you kept clumsily dropping your pen during music history and making moony eyes off in the distance.”

 

Chaerin gaped as Dara leaned back into her seat, satisfied.

 

“You like this guy a lot more than you think, Chaerin.” She’d said, voice gentle.

 

Chaerin moved forward to whisper, noticing that Jiyong was now making curious eyes at their table. It wouldn’t do for him to overhear anything.

 

“Maybe I do, but he doesn’t like me back, so it really doesn’t matter.” Chaerin had tried hard to keep the disappointment from seeping into her words.

 

“And you know that, how?” Dara replied, tone skeptical.

 

“He makes coffee for me and I drink it. That’s it, now can we drop it?”

 

Dara rolled her eyes. “You never know until you try, besides, I have a feeling he likes you too.” she said, stealing a glance at Jiyong, who had been making rather agitated hand movements at Suka as Suka scratched the back of his neck, looking guilty. Chaerin had frowned.

 

Dara paused, shifting her eyes to something else and smirking. “Also, anyone who has the sense to hire a waiter as hot as that has my approval.”

 

Chaerin had followed her line of vision and turns out Dara had been eyeing Youngbae, who happened to have his shirt half ed, chest in full view.

 

Totally Dara’s taste.

 

Chaerin found herself laughing despite her anger, and before long both of them are laughing. The mood had lightenened immediately, like a dark cloud vanishing on a rainy day.

 

 

Chaerin can never stay mad at Dara for long and she easily forgives her because she knows Dara. She knows that Dara does things that mean her well, and always has her best interests at heart. She knows that when Dara had decided to follow her here, it was because she thought she could help Chaerin. Help Chaerin make the first move, because admittedly Chaerin would never do it herself. Dara’s methods may be a little impulsive and completely unethical in her opinion, but her intentions are good, and that’s all Chaerin needs to know.

 

It’s quite heartwarming, really.

 

Then Jiyong had rung the bell and Chaerin gave Dara a look, making the other scamper off the get her drink.  

 

The picture on the latte this time had been a cheesy smiley face with the words “Enjoy!” drawn out at the bottom. Chaerin, although a little disappointed Jiyong didn’t shout it from the counter like he usually does, had smiled inwardly and enjoyed her drink just the same.

 

Dara left moments later, but not before forcing Chaerin to ask Youngbae for his number. Youngbae was hesitant at first, mumbling something about “betraying” Jiyong which has Chaerin raising eyebrows, but when she finally explained that it was for her friend, Youngbae easily agrees and Dara had skipped off a little too happily.

 

Chaerin had spent the rest of the day with her eyes fixated on her work after realising that Jiyong kept throwing glances at her for some reason. It was horribly unsettling when all she wanted was to focus and get her assignments over and done with.

 

So here she is at the same spot she’s been since three this afternoon, wrecking her brains trying to write out an essay which will most likely take another hour, and she’s not sure whether Jiyong is going to kick her out because he needs to close the shop. There’s no time to think because then Chaerin hears footsteps from the counter and her breath hitches.

 

 

 

Jiyong pauses at Chaerin’s table. “Not done yet?” he asks, sounding concerned and Chaerin reluctantly looks up at him.

 

It’s the first time she’s seen him from head to toe, without the counter blocking the lower part of his body. She gives him a subtle onceover and finds that the rest of his body is just as pleasing as his face and the combination is, well, even more pleasing. Her stomach lurches.

 

“Nope,” she manages to reply. “You’re closing soon though, maybe I should go.” She gathers her stationery to stuff them into her Rilakkuma pencil case but Jiyong puts a hand forward to stop her.

 

“It’s fine,” he grins. “Maybe I can help.” He slips into the seat opposite Chaerin, chin propped on his two hands as he looks at Chaerin.

 

Chaerin scoffs, trying hard to mask her nervousness and starts fumbling with a few papers. She leans back into her chair and reads the essay title aloud.

 

“Ludwig Van Beethoven in the 21st century,” Chaerin glances at him expectantly.

 

Jiyong seems thoughtful for a moment, lips pursed and brows furrowed. Then he smirks and leans in closer to Chaerin. “Well, he soothes my soul while I’m off creating new recipes in the kitchen.”

 

Chaerin pauses for a moment.

 

 

But then she's laughing, keeled over the table and almost crumpling her work. Jiyong just stares at her, amused before he breaks out into a huge smile himself.

 

Chaerin has no idea why she’s laughing so hard, whether it’s the thought of Jiyong in a kitchen or incredulity at herself for being so worried that talking to Jiyong would be awkward. Because it feels the same— he’s being the same. It’s comfortable and natural, and Chaerin is so glad she can’t help but laugh.

 

Jiyong gets up from his seat as Chaerin is calming down. “Where are you going?” she asks, tears still in her eyes.


Jiyong simply replies, “If you’re going to get this essay done, you need another latte,” before he disappears behind the counter doors and leaves Chaerin feeling confused, still stressed, but mostly very, very relieved, all at the same time.