(i)

Coffee, tea or me?

part(i)

 

 

 

It’s hard to find a conducive place to work when you live in the bustling city. It’s a hot day and Chaerin has her music assignment tucked under her arm as she walks. She has entered almost five cafes before she finds YG COFAY BABAY, a small but rather grand cafe about five minutes away from campus.

 

It’s quite fancy, yet at the same time it’s homey and quiet enough to concentrate, so Chaerin thinks it’s perfect and grabs a seat by the window. She puts her belongings onto the seat and looks around the cafe, tapping her fingers on the wooden table. It’s quite empty, save for a few couples here and there and that one student who looks like he’s drilling his brain trying to complete.. whatever that is on his table. He looks up and catches her eye and Chaerin nods, smiling sympathetically because that’s probably going to be her two hours into this assignment.

 

She pulls her wallet out of her bag and walks to the counter, looking up at the menu thoughtfully.

 

“What can I get for you, y babAY?” a greasy voice says and Chaerin stumbles back in shock as a dirty, unshaven face appears before her from behind the cash register.

 

“Err- just..”

 

The guy wiggles his eyebrows, face questioning but nonetheless ugly.

 

Chaerin clears .

 

“Just a caramel latte.” she forces out, squinting at the menu, trying hard to look at anything but the monstrosity in front of her.

 

“Suka! What the hell did I say about taking orders? Only I do it! The dirty cups are at the back!” A voice comes from the kitchen, sounding exasperated.

 

The greasy guy fidgets, flashing an embarrassed smile at Chaerin, who raises her eyebrows.

 

Seconds later, a platinum grey hair emerges from the two doors as Chaerin is paying, wet towel sloshed over his shoulders which he uses to whack the (apparently) dish washer on the head. “Go behind, Suka!”

 

“Dammit hyong, I’ve been washing dishes for 3 years, can’t I at least be in charge on book arrangement?” Suka whines, gesturing to the shelf of books near the seats with the comfortable chairs and candles on the table.

 

“No! Youngbae is in charge of that. Just wash the dishes Suka.”

 

“Youngbae can’t even reach the top of the shelf..” Suka mumbles before disappearing between the doors.

 

Chaerin takes all this in with an amused smile on her face as the grey haired guy turns to face her with a wide smile, eyes vanishing.

 

“Sorry about that, your order is eight dollars and sixty cents.” he says, typing something into the register and Chaerin promptly passes him the money.

 

“Nice place you got here.” Chaerin says conversationally, looking around the cafe as the guy fishes out some change.

 

He chuckles lightly. “Thanks, is this your first time here?”

 

Chaerin nods and waits for him to make her drink. He chuckles again and it’s a very nice laugh. “I hope it isn’t your last.” he says as he pours the drink into a mug. Chaerin laughs too.

 

“One caramel latte.” he drawls, squeezing the caramel sauce onto the drink.

 

Chaerin takes the chance to glance over at his nametag. It says “Jiyong “GD””.

 

She snorts a little at the nickname, it’s cute.

 

Jiyong’s eyes gleam as he passes her her drink and she takes it with a small smile before sauntering back to her table.

 

“Enjoy!” he calls loudly when Chaerin settles down into her seat. She lifts her cup up in the air to show that yes, I will enjoy this delicious latte.

 

She gets to work on her project, but it’s rather distracting when the barista is constantly humming tunes while cleaning out the blender and shouting at the dish washer in frustration every five minutes.

 

She eventually completes it in three hours and leans back to stretch, feeling her headache vanishing. She looks over to the same kid at the table who had been hunched over his homework as well. He’s leaning back with earphones on and looks relaxed. Whatever he was doing seems to have been completed. They meet eyes again and he flashes Chaerin a victorious smile which she returns.


This cafe is rather nice.