CHAPTER 2

Vampire Obsession

It has been a week since Sungmin saw the guy he met at his uncle's bookstore, he felt regret as he has not even asked something as simple as the guy's name. He would be lying if he said that he has not sat at the same spot inside the bookstore, hoping for the same man to walk inside just like he did before. He even kept the door unlocked, despite the taller guy's warning, in case he decided to show up again.

 

He sighed as he flipped the last page on his book, finally deciding to call it a night and go home. He stood up and placed the book back to its place in the shelf and gathered his things. He put on his bright blue coat, a grey scarf and his bright yellow bonnet, both he got from a winter collection he once endorsed, as he went outside and locked the doors to the shop. He has always liked his blue coat and yellow bonnet; he loved how the colors brightened up any room during the cold, grey winter.

 

He walked against the harsh winter cold, it has been harsher these past couple of days, causing him to nurse a clogged nose. He hated having to endure clogged nose, it always made it difficult to breathe, especially during photo shoots wherein he had to look so effortless, not like he had any work these days anyway. His apartment was 15 minutes away so he always walked towards it rather than taking a car, but tonight the snow made sure to make it more challenging for Sungmin.

 

"God why did I decide to go home extra late today" he said breathily, watching as how his breath fogged up in the cold air "Why did I even expect for that guy to show up again, it's not like he had anything to do in there again" he muttered to himself.

To be absolutely honest, Sungmin would have taken a bus or a cab, even if his place really is just 15 minutes away. The winter always made it hard for Sungmin as he had short legs, but he had to save his whole salary for the month. It was becoming more and more difficult to get a job in the competitive world of fashion, but no matter how difficult it got, Sungmin just couldn't give up on it. He loved fashion, but not just fashion but the story behind the pictures. He loved flipping through fashion magazines when he was young, looking at the models with admiration of how they could look so stunning and how they could make someone feel something through just a picture. And frankly he liked how he could be anyone behind the picture. As he was about to turn the corner he heard a certain voice that made his heart stop beating from his chest.

 

"Hello again Mr. Chatterbox" he stopped from his tracks, and before he turned around to face the guy he first let out a wide grin which he could not control from his face, then made his best 'I'm-so-annoyed-I-saw-you-again' face as he finally decided to turn again. He glared at the latter before speaking

 

"Wow, I really am unlucky today huh?" Kyuhyun gave him a smirk at that "You know what? I just realized something"

 

"And what did you realize?" Sungmin said, amusement in his tone

 

"You really are every bit of a talky person are you? You were taking a ing monologue while you were walking down alone" Sungmin gasped at that and gave kyuhyun his best glare "You know what? I'm surprised you didn't bore yourself" kyuhyun said, this time in a joking manner.

 

Exasperated, Sungmin mumbled before playfully turning his heel to pretend to walk home. Kyuhyun gave a chuckle as he ran to catch up to Sungmin, when he got near enough, he grabbed Sungmin by his elbows to put a stop to the shorter guy. "What do you want?" Sungmin said annoyed. Kyuhyun gave Sungmin a goofy smile "Okay okay I'm sorry, let me make it up to you?" Sungmin gave a questioning look, Kyuhyun noticed this so he took out a thermos from his bag and gave it to Sungmin, who looked even more confused.

 

"What's this?"

 

"It's chicken soup, from the way you sound it's obvious you have clogged nose, it'll at least keep you warm" Sungmin looked at the thermos thoughtfully, it was weird, but he felt as if Kyuhyun was here, in this spot waiting for him, waiting to give him the soup he prepared especially for Sungmin, it's as if Kyuhyun knew Sungmin loved Chicken soup. Sungmin became even weirded with his own thoughts 'What am I thinking?, you met him once and you ing expect he purposefully prepared soup for you'. Sungmin chuckled with his own thoughts. Kyuhyun gave Sungmin a weirded look before looking at his watch

"Well, it's getting late I should go" Kyuhyun hesitated before moving towards Sungmin and fixing Sungmin's scarf to cover more of his neck "Keep warm", Kyuhyun stated in his low voice which made Sungmin's heart skip a beat

Kyuhyun gave Sungmin one last smile before he waved his hand goodbye and started walking the opposite direction. Sungmin went out from his reverie at that and hastily ran towards Kyuhyun "Wait! What about your thermos?" Kyuhyun turned around, gave Sungmin a playful smile before shouting

 

"You'll give it back to me when we see each other again Sungmin-ssi"

 

Sungmin was left standing on the sidewalk, rooted on his spot, a surprised look on his face thinking 'how'd he know my name?' and 'why the hell did I not ask his name again!'

 

----------------------------

 

Sungmin was interesting. That was what Kyuhyun thought after his meeting with the young man. And with his numerous connections over the past years, he has found out so much about Sungmin.

Sungmin is currently 19 years old. He graduated High school but did not take up College as he followed his dreams of becoming a model. He is currently not under any contract from any model agency, which weirded Kyuhyun out, if he was a scout from a modelling agency, just seeing Sungmin amidst a crowd would draw his attention, and immediately sign him. Sungmin was beautiful, why can't any of these stupid modelling agencies see that? Because of that Sungmin was forced to work in a diner not so far away from the book cafe to cater to his material needs, especially now that he's living alone.

Sungmin was an only child, which was unfortunate for him, as he was an orphan. Kyuhyun released a deep sigh, Sungmin's parents died in a car accident when he was only five years old. He was living with his uncle until he moved to his own apartment not so far away from the book cafe, fortunately, his uncle was every bit of a kind, caring and encouraging uncle. 

Sungmin loves reading, that information however, he did not gain from any of his connections. He learned that from whenever he would sit down on the bench from accross the book cafe. Of couse he doesn't sit there every 9:00 in the evening to wait for Sungmin and just watch him from afar like a creepy stalker would, he just likes sitting at that particular wooden bench during that time of the night. But that didn't stop him from watching every movement of Sungmin. the way he always forgets to lock the door despite his warning the other night, the way Sungmin scans the shelves carefully before finally lifting up a book, going to the far end corner where he could not be seen, and just sits there to read until 11:00 in the evening. At times he would make himself a steaming cup of hot chocolate when the weather gets too cold.

At the end of the night Sungmin goes out with his heavy coat, his beanie and a scarf around his neck, his face barely visible. He locks the door and battles the harsh winter as he walks to his apartment. Kyuhyun would love to follow Sungmin home, only to make sure he doesn't stumble on his face against the strong winds of course, but he felt he would be too much of a stalker then. 

However, watching Sungmin from afar and actually talking to Sungmin are two very different things, and he has to admit that he was eager to talk to the young man again, it must be because the night he talked to Sungmin was a night he would've normally wanted to forget immediately, as it was a night he had to gather blood from an actual live human being, but because of Sungmin he just can't let himself forget any part of it. 

He groaned as he felt the familiar longing he felt that night. He knew he wanted to see Sungmin again, but what reason did he have. He can't just suddenly show up at the book cafe again, knowing that at the time Sungmin arrives, the cafe is already closed, Sungmin would be suspicious if he shows up like that again. 

"Wait a minute! Why are you here?! Didn't you see the sign outside? It said close C-L-O-S-E "

He smiled as he remembered the squeaky voice of the arguing Sungmin. He had to see Sungmin again, he knew this longing won't stop until he does, besides, Sungmin was suffering from clogged nose, someone has to give him something to soothe his nose.

 

------------------------------------ 

 

Kyuhyun walked home happily, humming a tune as he opened the lock to his apartment, but before he could even step in his apartment, an all too familiar voice resounded in the room

 

"Well look who's ing happy" 

 

Kyuhyun glared to his side, seeing Hyukjae, one of his best friends, comfortably sitting cross-legged on his couch. Hyukjae was shorter than him, but could still be considered tall, as Kyuhyun is really tall. He was shorter but had the same lanky but muscular built of Kyuhyun. He was wearing a black vest and really tight black jeans.

 

"I WAS happy, until I saw your of a face" Kyuhyun smirked seeing the glare his friend gave him

 

"Well, look who's already at each other’s throats" 

 

This time, a guy the same height as Kyuhyun with practically almost the same built as him spoke. He was sitting across Hyukjae with a glass of blood infused wine. No doubt he got that from Kyuhyun's cabinet. 

 

"Well Changmin, it's not my fault our less attractive friend here decided to ruin my day with his face" Kyuhyun smirked to another one of his best friends, this time moving to sit next to the aforementioned friend. "Don't say that, it wasn't his fault his face got deformed" Changmin said with mock sympathy on his face. Kyuhyun with the same mock sympathy joined his friend "Oh no Changmin, unfortunately, that's just his face, it is not deformed in any way". Both laughed at their exchange before they both ducked at the pillow thrown their way, then laughing again once it hit no one.

 

"I have no idea why I'm friends with two of the rudest guys I know, especially you" Hyukjae pointed an accusing finger at Kyuhyun, who only raised his eyebrow. 

 

Kyuhyun and Hyukjae became friends even before they became what they are right now, they were fated to become friends even before they were born, as both their fathers and mothers were close. They played, teased, fought, laughed and even cried with each other. They laid their dreams out for each other, telling each other what they wanted to be when they grew up, where they'd want to be, how much they wanted a family of their own. Family. Just thinking about it made Kyuhun want to die and get away from this unwanted type of life they were given. It was such a taunting term, a reminder of his hopeless future. He wanted so much to have a wife, to have children of his own. He even planned how many kids he wanted, he wanted three, one boy, two girls. He wanted to see them grow up, to be a proud parent, watch himself grow old with his wife. He had an entire life planned out before him. He and Hyukjae had one, but fate was not kind to them. Now they hide their sorrow with this mask of rudeness and sarcasm. This was not how he saw himself then. 

 

"You're friends with us because we're the only ones who can stand you" Changmin said with a huge grin, one matching Kyuhyun.

 

Changmin, however, became their friend just ten years ago. It was the year he became a vampire. He was alone, afraid and had no idea what to go on doing with his life. He planned on killing himself, until one day he saw Kyuhyun and Hyukjae. The two were going home after collecting some blood from the blood bank, the smell was so strong, Changmin could not resist going after their filled suitcases. He tried to steal one suitcase from Kyuhyun but, being a hundred and so years older than him, Kyuhyun was much much stronger. He failed to steal the suitcase, Kyuhyun was about to end his life then and there, and to be honest Changmin would have even thanked him for that, but Hyukjae stepped up and persuaded Kyuhyun to let the guy explain.

 

"So, is it wine night, or are you guys just here to bother me?" 

"Well no…” Hyukjae trailed off with an expression Kyuhyun knew too well

“We came here because we have news from the council. Bad news."  Changmin said with a grimace

Kyuhyun released a deep sigh, he thought he was having a great day, but then he thought wrong. 

"What is it now?" 

"The fight between clans are getting worse, and this time, our clan can no longer stay away from that ty mess" 

 

Kyuhyun's jaw tensed, getting involved in the growing clan war means the clan recruiting fighters. It means the council picking the greatest fighters their clan had and forcing them to go to war. It was not like he didn't anticipate this, it was inevitable that their clan got included here anyway. Their clan has grown to be one of the most powerful clans, they were so powerful, no one dared to mess with them. One of the reason was him and Hyukjae, as they had unusual powers that no one can explain, not even the two guys themselves can explain. Hyukjae had unbelievable strength; no one has ever beaten him, with the exception of Kyuhyun of course. Kyuhyun, however, had the council raising their eyebrows the first time he was introduced to them; he had this unusual power of conjuring up fire, and not burning from it. Kyuhyun and Hyukjae were the clan’s most prized warriors. This means him and Hyukjae goes to war. His whole form tensed, his eyes darkened. He had to go to war. 

He had to go to war again.

 

"I guess you're thinking what I'm thinking" Hyukjaee said bitterly

 

Kyuhyun glared to the ground at the painful memories that resurfaced in his mind. Changmin, sensing the tension in the room, decided to lighten up the mood, but failed due to his words that were heavily laced with doubt.

"Relax guys, the situation in the clan's not that bad.......yet" 

That didn't make Kyuhyun feel any more better. Here he was, thinking that he finally found someone he actually looks forward seeing, but he should have known better. Fate was not kind to him even from the start, why should it be kind to him now. 

"It might not be that bad yet, but it's certainly going to head that way" Kyuhyun heard Hyukjae said with an expression that read 'not again'.

Hyukjae and he had gone to war 100 years ago, when Hyukjae and he were still quite new to the clan. They were forced to become soldiers as they had unusual powers that the council used as much as possible. Almost all the chosen warriors died because of that war, as the clan was not as strong before as they were now. Other clans were not afraid to wage war on them and attack them; it was a fight for territory after all. All their new found friends, dead. Before Hyukjae and him were part of a group of friends consisting of 12, they were like brothers joining in the pain and sorrowness of being in the battlefield, and now only him and Hyukjae were left.

Kyuhyun tried to will the past thoughts away as he stood from his seat and went towards his kitchen, grabbing the other two male's attention.

In a few seconds all three of them were standing in the kitchen, everyone determined to no longer talk about the clan, the council and the war.

"You know what, I think a midnight snack would be a good idea" Changmin said

"Oh wow Changmin, that's not what I was thinking when I went inside the kitchen" Kyuhyun said sarcastically, earning a glare from the latter

"I'm just wondering, do you even have food at your houses? You always seem to eat here all the time, I don't think you guys even need a refrigerator" Kyuhyun said

Hyukjae, at that, retaliated with a teasing tone

"Oh babykyu, it's not like you could eat anything without me, just be thankful you don't have to eat anything you cook, I don't think anyone deserves that" 

"First of all, my cooking's not that bad" both Changmin and Hyukjae laughed loudly at that

Kyuhyun looked at the two of them with annoyance before continuing "second of all, I'm older than Changmin, stop calling me babykyu" 

"Oh? “You're older than me? with how stubborn and short-tempered you are I feel like I'm the older one" Changmin said, earning a grin from Hyukjae and a glare from Kyuhyun.

"Okay it'd be best to stop now before the dragon inside Kyuhyun comes alive" hyukjae said giving a playful nudge at Kyuhyun's shoulder

"Besides, you were in such a good mood earlier, god dammit you were even humming" 

"Yeah, what's up with that?" Changmin said glancing at Kyuhyun curiosly as Hyukjae prepared some pans to make a quick pasta, blood infused of course

"It was nothing" Kyuhyun said timidly, they didn't have to know how he was completely interested with Sungmin, besides, it's not like Sungmin was such an important person in his life to tell his friends. No, Sungmin was just a random person he finds quite interesting, that's all.

"Nothing always means something when it's Kyuhyun" Hyukjae said as he filled one pan with water to boil. "Shut up Hyukjae" he said in a warning tone, he didn't want to talk about Sungmin, not when he feels like Sungmin was just a very brief part of his life before he has to go to a cruel war. Hyukjae, despite his warning tone, chuckled teasingly but didn't say anything else nevertheless.

Somehow, the thought of Sungmin being just a brief part of his life made Kyuhyun sad, but that was the reality of his life. The sooner he accepted it, the better. He just has to stop seeing Sungmin, before anything even happens. The thought made him feel the longing again, he gave a deep sigh as he tried to will it away.

But not seeing Sungmin doesn't mean he can't continue to watch him from afar right?

 

 

Right?

 

 

 

------------------------------------------

a/n

I'm sorry if updates are too slow, I just don't want to give you guys anything that's not good enough. 

Anyway, updates will continue to become slow, but I'll try my very best! I hope you enjoyed reading :)