day one

(500) Days of Summer

Day One: Changmin's Diary Journal Chapter Entry 

 

 October 5, 2009
2:30 PM, my apartment.

 

 It all started with the meeting. It always does, otherwise there can't be any past, present or future. But when I got invited to my violent half-sister's wedding, I couldn't get out of it or my mother will kill me. Dad passed away a long time ago, longer than I care to remember, but in time, she found it lonely to raise her beloved only child. So she met my step-father, the most hyperactive feminine man called Hyungshin, who brought along his only daughter, the Dumpling Tornado, Kim Hyoyeon. Ever since then, they were my family. 

 

 Now at the tender age of (whispered) twenty seven, Hyo nuna found herself engaged to the equally insane Lee Eunhyuk. Within three months of panic planning, tears and tantrums on my nuna's side, and extreme exhaustion on my soon-to-be brother in law's side, they held a ceremony at the local church. Nuna went overboard with the ribbons and flowers, but even though I would never admit it to myself, I enjoyed it.

 

 And it's not because all the women were tripping over themselves to talk to me, nor because the food was top notch, but because I was genuinely happy to see my sister so in love. After years of wanting a sibling and finally getting a half-sister, I was beside myself to be called 'dongsaeng' or 'my younger one', even though at six foot plus, I'm not exactly smaller than her. I felt like a protective older brother, and our bonds ran deeper than blood. She was my sister through and through, and when I saw her walk down the aisle, I almost cried myself to oblivion, much like my mother beside me who was currently filling seven buckets of tears. And when they got pronounced husband and wife, I was the one who lead the cheering and the obnoxious cat-calling. 

 

 It was tradition for the bride to kiss the males of her new family, and it was my turn, she pulled me into an iron hug. As I gagged for air, she pressed me even closer and whispered, "Your turn, Minnie." She then smacked her lips loudly on my cheeks and winked at me, "Make sure you make nuna maid of honour!" and pointed in the direction of one of her many, many 'besties'.

 

 I didn't really care at the moment, and to be honest, I thought that I'd never see a reason to fulfil her desire to be Maid of Honour. But when I turned and saw her, I found myself thinking of flower arrangements and ribbon colour themes. She was magnificently beautiful. Tall, elegant, but with graceful curves. She had a small face, but when she smiled at one or the things her friends said, her cheeks bunched up adorably and her wide smile was just gorgeous. The way she carried herself had a gentle grace to it, with a... aw, screw this. I'm not in the least bit poetic, nor eloquent when I talk. Let's just say I fell in love, okay? I fell so fast and hard into love, it was a miracle I'm still standing. There, that was kind of fluid.

 

 I really can't write very well. Hyo nuna says it's one of my (few) flaws.

 

 Anyway, I couldn't approach her because she was swarmed by friends. And anyway, I can't talk to women unless I'm formally introduced by a friend or family. And anyway- ah. English lessons dictate I must not use the same word over again. So, hang on...

 

 

 

 My thesaurus suggests at any rate. So I'll go ahead and use that.

 

 At any rate, I want to meet her again. I need to know who I fell in love with after all. 

 

 

 

- - - -

 

 

 October 14, 2009
5:16PM, at my apartment.

 

 And it turns out, I don't have to wait that long! Precisely nine days after looking across the room and being hauled into a falling sensation out of love (how's that for poetry? keke~) I was invited to meet her. Hyoyeon nuna has just got back from her trip in Jeju Island, glowing and still deeply in love. She rang me one early morning and demanded that she have coffee with me and one of her 'besties'. She didn't even wait for an answer, just shouted at me and hung up. Really, she was getting a bit too comfortable around me. Next thing you know, she'll be farting in my face.

 

 But that's never happened; in fact, I've never seen a woman fart.

 

 Anyway, moving on from the weird topic of gaseous exchange, I went right ahead and opened the door to the quaint coffee shop just a few blocks from my apartment in the heart of Seoul. As my sister has recently bought a house in Seoul so that she can be closer to me and The Parents, she was currently planning to host a dinner party to celebrate her grown-up-ness in buying a house with her new husband. I was obliged to plan with her, since she thinks I now have the responsibility of over-seeing anything she sees fit. The woman would make an excellent dictator, and I would make a great party planner.

 

 But as soon as I entered, my eyes found hers. She looked up from her seat beside the shop window, and her fresh face was shining with purity, and she gave a shy smile, looking down as if she was embarrassed to get caught looking. I stopped breathing, and probably lost consciousness when Hyoyeon nuna tackled me and gave me one of her affectionate kisses. She slammed me down on one of the chairs opposite them and smiled widely at me, putting her hand up to gesture at the woman beside her. 

 

 "Minnie-ah!" she half-screamed. "This is my dearest friend and partner in crime, Choi Sooyoung! Be nice to her or I'll kill you."

 

 There was no need to commit murder, darling sister, as I'm sure I'll get alone very well with her. I stood and bowed to her, smiling in a way I knew women melted under. She blushed in turn, and murmured her greetings. I was already planning when to propose. 

 

 The rest of the outing went quite well. She was surprisingly witty and had a very sly personality, where she can balance Hyoyeon's outright bluntness with her own well-put remarks and jokes. I loved spending time with her, and I love the fact that she has a backbone. By the time we said goodbye to nuna, she had slipped me her phone number and with a sweet smile, she caught the next bus heading for southern Seoul.

 

 I felt like jumping up and banging my head against the sidewalk as I waved her goodbye. I've only seen her once, talked to her for one afternoon, and she wants to communicate! She gave me her number, she gave me her number, she gave me her number, SHE GAVE ME HER NUMBER. YES!!! THIS MEANS LOVE!

 

 

- - - -

 

 October 16, 2009
11:36PM, Nyx Niteclub

 

 Screw all women.

 

 I hate every single one of them.

 

 She was just another hose teaser, that .

 

 I did try my hardest, truly I did. I bught so flowers, chocolates and took her out about five times and all was going really well. I even got to kiss her on more than one occasion, and her response was great. Like, really great! We made out on the alleyway behind this really posh restaurant. She was a great kisser, and I really wanted things to work out.

 

 Until I turned up at her apartment with flwrs, just to greet her and say ahnyeonhegai ahnyeonghi hdusa hello. She opened the front door and was surprised to see me standing there. Imagine my surprise when I saw some guy standing behind her and with nothing but a towel around his midriff. I was stood, rooted to the spot, until he moved away to do whatever he was going to do. I then abruptly shoved the flowers in her arms and stalked off. 

 

 I reaaaally dun care about my speelling rite now, i'm HAMMRD.

 

 I won't admit this to anyone else.

 

 I cried.

 

- - - -

 

 

 October 19, 2009
12noon, Seoul Magistrate Office

 

 I'm not sure what just happened. But I'm pretty sure I'm ed for life.

 

 At precisely 5:00 this morning, I was hauled out of bed by someone who had very feminine lines. A cup of Starbucks coffee and a smart suit was thrown at my face and was instructed to dress very quickly, by an achingly familiar voice. So I did, and by 7:15 that morning, (um, no, I didn't take that long. It was the other person!) I was on my way to God knows where. I'm thankful my wits were around me at the time, and I thankfully remember to bring this book with me. At 8:00, the car stopped and I was dragged to a tall, pretty imposing looking building that I've never seen before and was lead to a small room full of books.  

 

 The thing you have to understand about me is that I take a very long time to become fully awake. I wake up at around six and take at least two hours to become fully awake. I'm not even a morning person; I am extremely grumpy when it comes to waking up. I hate it, because I love to sleep so much. And when I'm grumpy, I am extremely hard to calm down. 

 

 So I was furious when I became aware of my surroundings... and what I've done. It only took one flash of a flashbulb and I was back to reality, my eyes focusing and taking in the scene before me. A man was smiling at me widely and shaking my hand vigorously. "Congratulations dear boy! Have a wonderful life with your new wife!"

 

 I froze at those words and slowly turned my head to the woman beside me. I was taken aback. Sooyoung! What was she doing here?! And... wow, she looked beautiful. She was wearing a white dress that stopped half-way across her thighs and had a train at the back. The bodice hugged her curves and was very, very y in the way they pushed the swell of her s up. She was smiling widely at the man who had shaken my hand. 

 

 "Thank you! I'm very happy to be married to my new husband." Husband? Aw , she was married?! Well then, there's really no hope for me. Maybe I should just turn gay and find someone who won't rip my heart out and bulldoze it to the gr- What the?! She kissed me on the lips and smiled up at me sweetly. If I haven't been so confused, I would've smiled back at her in a daze. "Right, darling?"

 

 Suddenly, all was clear. Like some ed up fog had cleared away to reveal some horrifying truth. I spied the silver ring around her finger and saw mine matched hers. I then looked up at the man in growing terror, as he handed me some form of certificate. I took it, my hands slightly trembling, and looked at the names on the certificate: Mr. Shim Changmin and his wife, Mrs. Shim (née Choi) Sooyoung. 

 

 As realisation suddenly struck me, one thought was running through my mind: Does this mean I get to have with her? 

 

--------------------------