The Letter

The Letter

Sehun almost got all the way to work before realizing that he forgot his cellphone at home. “,” he cursed under his breath before making a sharp, illegal U-turn and headed back home.

 

“Kai! Kai-ya! Where are you? Where’s my cellphone?” Sehun called while entering the house and he began the search for his cellphone. He went into their cozy little bedroom and instead of finding his cellphone, Sehun found a letter folded neatly at the foot of their bed. Forgetting about the phone, Sehun sat on the edge of the bed and picked up the letter, unfolding it carefully before reading it:

 

 

---

 

 

My Dearest Sehun,

 

I don’t really know how to begin but here goes nothing…

 

We were once in love – or at least I think we were… I could be wrong.

 

You don’t look at me the same anymore. We barely talk like we used to. You even started treating me like a stranger. And then you started coming home late…

 

The scent of perfume lingered on your clothes… the smell of alcohol on your breath… the glazed look in your eyes…

 

I know you’re seeing someone else, Sehun. I knew it but I always denied it. I denied it even to myself but no more… no more can I stand by while you see someone else. I’m done.

 

I’m done with the constant arguments. I’m done waiting for you to come home at late hours. I’m done crying myself to sleep every night. I’m done loving someone who will never love me back…

 

Do you remember our first kiss? I do. The stars seemed to shine brighter that night but none shone brighter than the twinkle in your eyes. You looked at me with such love in your eyes that it captivated me… entranced me… it made me fall in love. At that very moment I knew that I wanted to be with you forever but I was wrong…

 

Yet again, I was wrong…

 

It’s not that I didn’t want to be with you forever but you didn’t want to be with me forever. You made that very obvious. Too obvious.

 

What happened to us? What happened to the love we used to share? What happened to the “forever” that you promised me? I asked myself these questions all the time but of course it was all to no avail. I never got an answer. The answers are with you – not me. I wasn’t the one who changed… you were. You changed and became a completely different person yet I stood by you. I would have stood by you through anything as long as I had your love to give me strength… but your love was gone. Your love died along with the person you used to be.

 

The old you would have never hurt me like this. The old you would take me in his arms and never let go. The old you wouldn’t even let Death stop him from loving me. This was the guy I fell in love with. This was the guy that became my happiness… my smile… my protection… my strength… my world… my everything.

 

He became everything I ever needed, wanted, and loved.

 

Until I see him again, I will be gone. I will fade away from your memory just like our love faded from your heart. No longer shall I stand in your way. If you want to be happy with her or whomever, I’ll wish you all the best. The only thing I ever wanted was to see you happy. If you’re happy then I’m happy… even if I couldn’t make you happy no matter how hard I tried to. I really tried. I’m sorry if I let you down. I’m sorry if I wasn’t the one for you. I’m sorry I couldn’t make you happy like you deserve.

 

I’m sorry for everything…

 

Saranghae, Sehun. I always have and always will.

 

 

 

Yours truly,

Kai.

 

 

---

 

 

 

Tears trickled down Sehun’s face and splashed on the note, slightly smearing the handwriting. Kai was gone and it was all his fault… He didn’t treat Kai like he deserved to be treated and he knew it. He knew it. He had been purposely driving Kai away but now that he did, he regretted it more than ever.

 

 

---

 

 

 

A year ago Sehun overheard an argument between Kai and his mother one night.

 

“So you gave up your dream of being a dancer to be with Sehun?!” his mother spat, “I cannot believe you would do such a foolish thing!”

 

“I don’t expect you to understand but this is my life and I’ll make my own decisions,” Kai replied calmly, not looking at her.

 

“This is absurd! You will go back to dancing this instant or I will disown you,” his mother said through clenched teeth.

 

“Then I guess you’ll have to disown me… It isn’t a big deal really considering I never liked this family anyway,” Kai retorted, “I’m perfectly happy with just Sehun.”

 

His mother scoffed before snatching up her purse. “Once you get back to dancing, you may rejoin the family. Until then, enjoy living this pitiful life with your pathetic excuse of a husband.” She adjusted her scarf proudly and walked out of the house with her head held high.

 

 

---

 

 

The flashback sent more tears to Sehun’s eyes and he balled up the letter in his hand. He drove away the only person he ever loved so that he could pursue his dreams. In a way that made Sehun feel better but… now what was he to do with his life? Kai was his life.

 

Sehun angrily threw the crumpled letter across the room and covered his face with his hands.

 

“I… I had to drive you away so you c-could… so you could follow your dreams. And now that I let you go, I can’t help but regret it. You meant everything to me… I’m sorry my yeobo. I’m s-so sorry…” Sehun quietly said to himself before breaking down into choked sobs.

 

‘I still love you Kai-ya…’ Sehun thought sadly before hearing someone clear their throat.

 

Sehun looked up to see Kai standing in the doorway with his luggage – he also had tears in his eyes.

 

“You…” Kai breathed.

 

“Y-you’re back? But… why?” Sehun asked, shocked and quickly wiped away his tears.

 

“I forgot my plane ticket…” Kai replied quietly, “but… did you really… do all this to drive me away?”

 

Sehun found himself unable to respond so he slowly nodded his head ‘yes’ instead.

 

“W-why? …Why would you do this to me?” Kai questioned, his voiced becoming choked with his own emotions.

 

“B-Because I… I was the ‘pathetic excuse for a husband’ standing in the way of your dream,” Sehun managed to squeak out, desperately trying to keep himself from crying.

 

“Aish… so you heard that, huh?” Kai sighed and set down his luggage before sitting beside Sehun, “you are my dream, Sehunnie. Since the very moment you proposed, my dream became to wake up beside you every morning for the rest of my life… to make you smile whenever possible… to love you with all my heart and soul. …Don’t you know that by now?”

 

Sehun didn’t know how to respond to Kai’s question – he was at a loss for words. He spent so much time pushing Kai away that he never considered that he himself made Kai happy.

 

“I… I’m s-sorry,” Sehun said quietly, avoiding eye contact with Kai. It was the only thing he could think of to say… he was deeply embarrassed for the way he treated Kai this past year.

 

Kai sighed again and pulled Sehun into his arms. “I love you Sehun… I hope you know that now.”

 

“I love you too Kai. I swear I never meant to hurt you. I just wanted to make you happy…” Sehun sighed and tried to blink away his tears but a few fell anyway.

 

“Sehun-ah… I am happy. You make me happy… not dancing,” Kai assured and kissed away a tear falling from Sehun’s eye.

 

Then… I… I just want – no need one last chance… one last chance to make it up to you and make things right. That’s my one and only dream…” Sehun uttered and looked up at Kai.

 

“Then your dream is about to become true,” Kai said with a small smile.

 

And with Kai’s statement, Sehun slowly edged forward and placed a tender, loving kiss upon Kai’s lips to which Kai responded passionately. This one kiss led to the healing of two broken hearts so that they may beat as one once again.

 

People will usually say that if you love someone enough, you’ll be willing to let them go. However, sometimes all that person wants is for you to hold on a little tighter… for you to fight a little harder… and for you to love a little deeper.