Chapter 4: Nice to Finally Meet You!

You're Not My Type

 

Author's Note: Sorry for the unprecedented hiatus! I got super side-tracked by school and all that. But since I'm on break now, I have more time on my hands and a few chapters I still need to edit before I publish them. I am also completely open to suggestions for this fanfic or just general suggestions. Thank you for reading!

And without further ado...

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

It was a little past eleven at night when Dara got into her car and prepared to head back to her apartment. She reached for her iPod and realized it wasn't there. Huh?she thought. She started looking on the floor and under the seats before she smacked her head. It's on my desk! Eh, I guess it'll be okay. She hadn't driven without her iPod in a while but she remembered that Durami left a mixed CD in her car before. I wonder what she put on it? Dara started the car and inserted it into the CD player.

 

Neowana maeumgwa kamjeong deuri deokkeo jyeoga

Eotteokhae mageo saekhae niga eopseumyeon neomu heojeonhae

Anajulke jeomjanke modeun saenggak da ijeobeorige

Kkwakhabara naeheorie naega shiganeul meomchweo beorige

Mommaeneun sekshihae eolgureun kkyuteu 

Neon nae geongange joha orenji jyuseu 

Nigaman yage suri yeosseu myeonnanbaro sulkkun

Neon kkulbeok jikkureol muretamyeon kkurum

 

Dara started bobbing her head. "This song is so good!"

 

Every time I hit you up 

Maldo pyohyeon halsu eopseo 

Urin galla noheulsu eopseo

Neoneun jillijiga anha

Neon jeongmal wa byeokhan yeoja

Eotteohke bodeunga niga neomu akkaweo

You can be my bestie girl 

You can be my bestie girl 

You can be my bestie girl 

You can be my bestie girl

 

Dara wanted to call her sister to ask her who was singing this song. She'd never heard it before. Dara was so distracted by the song that she missed a turn she was supposed to take a long time ago. She slowed down a little bit and realized she didn't recognize any of the buildings or stores around here. "Aiya... At least our schedule is clear for tomorrow." She started looking for people walking around to ask for directions when she spotted a 24-hour convenience store

Dara parked her car and pulled the hood of her jacket up before grabbing her wallet and keys. She walked into the store and smiled at the old man at the register. "Annyeonghaseyo!" she greeted cheerfully and made her way to the back of the store looking for a bottle of juice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Annyeonghaseyo!"

A man sitting in the back of the convenience store looked up from his bowl of instant ramyeon. He was startled because he didn't think anyone would come into the store at this hour. Eh? She sounds familiar, he thought shrugging to himself.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dara was humming to herself as she walked through the aisles. She grabbed some snacks for her members, a bottle of water, and a large cup of instant ramyeon for herself. After she paid for her items, she headed to the back of the store and spotted another person eating ramyeon. She filled her bowl with hot water and sat down a couple seats away from him. Three minutes! Dara thought to herself. She drummed her fingers on the counter, feeling restless and hungry. Oh! Maybe… Dara yanked out her cellphone.

“… … … Hello? Du-ra-miiiii!” Dara greeted her sister cheerfully.

“Mm, yeah?” Durami answered sleepily. “Unni, do you know what time it is right now?”

“I know, I know… I just wanted to ask you something.”

“Hm?”

“You know how you left that CD in my car—”

“Is that where it was?” Durami interrupted, sounding more awake. “I was looking everywhere for it and thought I lost it! Make sure you bring it with you the next time you come home.”

“Yeah yeah yeah. I will. But…”

“What?”

“You know the first song on it…” Dara hesitated.

“What is it!?”

“Who sings it?” There was a long pause.

“…Why?”

Dara could tell that her sister was smirking at her right now. “Because.. he sings really well! And it’s a cool song…! Why? Who sings it? Hurry up and tell me.”

“Unni.”

“What?”

“What are you going to give me if I tell you who sings that song?”

Dara stared at her phone in disbelief. “Yah! Why do I have to give you something for such a small thing like that!?”

“Fine. I won’t tell you.”

“Argh!” Dara groaned. “I’ll… get Seungri to sign your copy of his VVIPalbum. How’s that?”

Durami squealed. “Really unni? You promise?”

“YES! Now tell me!”

“It’s Jay Park, unni.”

Dara paused for a moment. “Really? Jay Park?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay, thank you!” She hung up the phone. Jay Park, huh?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Really? Jay Park?”

The man sitting at the counter stiffened a little. Someone was talking about him?

“Okay, thank you!”

Jay looked to his right. Wings? Where have I seen that before? The girl suddenly jumped up to grab chopsticks and started eating her bowl of ramyeon. She looks sorta familiar. Kinda like… “Sandara Park?” he blurted out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Sandara Park?”

Dara looked up in surprise. “Yes?”

“Are you really Sandara Park?”

“Uh… Yes…?” The person suddenly got up and moved to the chair next to hers. She could see his face better and got really shocked. “Hey! Aren’t you Jay Park-sshi?”

“Yeah!” Jay stuck out his right hand. “Nice to finally meet you! Uh, I mean…” he got up and bowed deeply towards her. “Nice to meet you, Sandara Park-sunbaenim.”

“Oh!” Dara got up and bowed towards him as well. “Nice to meet you, too, Jay Park-sshi!” They sat down again. “I was just talking to my sister on the phone about you!”

“Oh yeah?”

“She left one of her mixed CDs in my car. When I played it, one of your songs came up and I really liked it!” Dara smiled brightly. “Your voice is really nice!”

“Thank you!” Jay blushed a little. “I really like 2NE1’s music. Ever since you guys debuted, I’ve been a fan.”

“Really? Thank you for supporting us! It makes me happy to hear that people like our music.”

“’Lonely’ is a great song! I’m looking forward to hearing the rest of the songs on 2NE1’s new mini-album.”

Dara grinned mischievously. “You’re going to be totally surprised!”

They resumed eating their food and started talking about random subjects: Dara's eccentric members, Jay's friends, family, food they liked, music they liked. Dara quickly got comfortable talking to Jay and before either of them noticed, an hour had passed. Jay's laidback nature was refreshing and so different from—

“Dara-noona, are you okay?” Jay waved his hand gently in front of her face. His forehead creased a little when he noticed Dara stopped talking. “You look a little pale.”

“Oh… no, it’s nothing. I was just thinking about something,” Dara smiled weakly. “It’s nothing. Really.”

“You know,” Jay hesitated a little, “you can talk to me if you need someone to talk to. I’m a good listener. I mean, only if you need someone to talk to. About… stuff…” he finished awkwardly.

Dara looked at him guardedly. “Do you have a schedule tomorrow?”

“No, why?”

“Let’s go somewhere else to talk.” They walked quickly out of the konbini and to Dara’s car.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jay looked at her worriedly. She drove them to a park that was nearby and hadn’t said a word since they left the konbini.

After a few minutes, Dara turned towards him. “You have to promise not to tell anyone,” she looked at him pleadingly. “Promise me.” She stuck out her pinky finger.

“I promise.” Jay hooked his pinky around hers.

Dara took a deep breath. “I guess I should start from the beginning…”