SMA Chapter 8

Starship Magic Academy

Minwoo sat there as his body trembled like the leaves of trees being swayed by the wind. He felt like he had fallen and was trapped underneath a wretched building while an earthquake was occurring. His body was stiff as he stared at the foul looking beast that looked as dark as hell could ever be. He was frozen solid and couldn't move himself no matter what he tried.

 

The Hengeyokai was staring at every inch of his body trying to find the best way to devour Minwoo. It's eyes looked gleamingly red as blood underneath the light of the washroom. He inched closer and closer towards Minwoo and there wasn't anything that Minwoo could do. Minwoo tried to think of a way to get out of this horrendous situation. It brought back his traumatic memories and that was slowly beginning to cause him to panic and hyperventilate. If the Hengeyokai hadn't given any chance to another person then what is to say that he would be able to survive. His heart started to beat faster at the thought of dying from the same reason he lost his everything. He wanted to scream at it and cry to it to give back everything this monster took from him but what were the chances of him living to gain it back? Then that's when Minwoo noticed the big red plunger behind him and started inching towards that corner. He was having a hard time moving and keeping his eyes on the beast simultaneously. His body felt paralyzed but kept trying to scoot closer towards his intended weapon. When he noticed that the Hengeyokai was about to plunge on him he hit the growling monster as hard as he could and started running towards the door. However, before he could reach the knobbed wooden door a sharp claw pinned him against the floor and the beast roared out loud in anger.

 

He was terrified and his fear controlled him as it gave him adrenaline, "HELP ME! HYUNG! YOUNGMIN! KWANGMIN!!! HELP M- AHHHHHHHHH!" he screeched in pain from the sharp claw that was starting to dig slowly into his back and bruising it. Then another wave of excruciating pain shot through his body as he felt the Hengeyokai start to his powers out of him. It felt vaguely familiar, but it definitely wasn’t a good feeling.

 

The poor boy had tears rolling down his face as he could feel himself losing consciousness. The combined pain was too much for his frail body to handle. He was going to die here and he wouldn’t be able to meet his beloved grandma once more. He didn’t want to die in the hands of this monster, the same monster which killed his parents. He screamed for help again, but his voice started to fade and tremble, the pain making him unable to speak. He could feel the Hengeyokai’s claw dig deeper into his back, and starting to feel numb and weak from the powers being slowly and painfully out. Minwoo was losing hope.

 

Suddenly, the heavy door to the washroom flung open. "Minwoo!" Donghyun yelled, but he froze as soon as he saw the Hengeyokai snarling at him.

 

"H-Hyung, hyung it hurts! Plea-ahhhhh!"

 

Donghyun eyes were wide and his hands started to tremble furiously. He wanted to help, to do something, to just do anything but he couldn't do it. His ring started to glow and shimmer. Then without thinking straight and his hands still trembling he shouted out a spell and targeted the firebolt towards the Hengeyokai. With a bright glow from his hands he blasted a gust of flame towards it. His legs couldn't support him anymore even if his mind was the opposite and his legs gave away and he fell. The Hengeyokai let go of Minwoo's back and leapt to the side to avoid being hit by the hot gush of flames. Then with a loud shriek it started to approach Donghyun.

 

Minwoo looked at his hyung with teary clouded eyes, "H-Hyung...hurry….run away….!" he gasped repeatedly. His eyes felt hazy, blurred from the tears and his body started to feel light, yet at the same time glued to the floor. His vision became very blurry as he tried to keep looking at Donghyun and the evil creature advancing towards him. He tried to use his hands to push himself off the floor and help the elder. He yelped however as pain once again washed over him and his mind was taken over by the shade of black.  

 

Meanwhile, Donghyun's mind was blank and he couldn't move at all. He saw Minwoo fall limply to the ground and he started to panic. Quickly, he regained his senses but he could only watch the beast slowly advance towards him, step by step. His body was frozen as he watched the demon of death coming closer. He waited with eyes closed for the harsh impact, the blood, and the waves of pain afterwards.

 

"Donghyun oppa!" Someone screamed and the Hengeyokai halted in its steps and turned to race towards the interrupting voice.  However, with a loud yell she raised her hands and an immense amount of energy surfaced through her body. Then harsh lighting flashed at the running Hengeyokai and engulfed the monster in flames, burning its body to bits. The Hengeyokai shrieked in pain this time and burnt in a second to turn into nothing but a pile of fine black dust.

 

Running from her spot she knelt down next to Donghyun, "Yah! It's okay! Your sister is here and the Hengeyokai is gone. Donghyun oppa breathe!" she exclaimed frantically and slapped his cheeks hard to snap him out of his frozen state.

 

His eyes blinked open and he stared at his savior. "Hyorin...," he said with a raspy voice. Then with all the strength he had he hugged her and the tears started to drop like rain.

 

Hyorin patted his head gently, "It's alright, everything is okay Donghyun oppa. I am here," she mummered with a hushed and calming voice.

 

Nodding, Donghyun looked up at his sister and then suddenly remembered his dongsaeng frantically scanned the whole room. Minwoo was lying on the floor, clearly hurt. The younger’s face was pale and bloodless, and red blood started to seep through his blazer, forming a huge dark red patch. He got up and went to inspect the injured boy.

 

"He's badly injured….Hyorin we need to help him!" he shouted as he picked the boy up into his arms."Teleport us to the nurse’s office immediately."

 

Hyorin nodded and with ease used her magic powers to teleport into the nurse’s office.

 

"I thought I told you students not to use your tele-," the nurse started but stopped short as her eyes landed on the bleeding boy, "Put him in the bed on his stomach. How did this happen?" she asked, staying calm and composed from her years of experience. She took Minwoo’s pulse and placed a hand on his forehead.

 

Donghyun answered, "At the boys washroom near the main hall. He was attacked by a Hengeyokai but he couldn't defend himself because he's a newborn."

 

The nurse nodded as she used some kind of herbal medicine with her water magic to clean the wound. Donghyun bit his lip as he winced in pain looking at the vulnerable passed out boy on the bed. He looked at the mark that the Hengeyokai had left on Minwoo's back; a claw mark and it seemed deep because blood was flowing out. Donghyun felt like crying because this all seemed so familiar. He felt useless and weak.

 

"I want you two to go stay outside and wait. I have already called the headmaster, I would need his help for a injury this severe.”

 

Both the siblings bowed at the nurse and started walking outside. Donghyun glanced at the lying and hurt Minwoo once more and apologized internally once more before he shutting the door. He closed his eyes as both he and his sister sat down on a bench.

 

Hyorin looked at her upset brother, "Stop blaming yourself Donghyun oppa!" she said, "Neither this nor that incident in the past was your fault. So please stop blaming yourself! You know I hate to see you like this."

 

Donghyun turned to his sister, "It was my fault! The incident involving Yunho and now... I...I could have saved Minwoo from being injured so badly but...but because I i was stupid and froze...I...."

 

"No, it was a good thing you were even there. You managed to buy some time for me to get there and stop it. If you weren’t even there Minwoo would not even have lived.”

 

Donghyun sighed and hung his head, resting his elbows on his knees, "I wasn't there with him, I followed him because he seemed troubled. Bad enough, when I was face to face with that Hengeyokai I couldn’t do anything just like before. I could be the reason another precious friend will die. I am a coward Hyorin. I didn't do nothing to save him."

 

"Stop being so stupid because even I would do the same. Even if we know magic it doesn't mean nothing can happen. We can have fears. Deep down to our core we are still human. We aren't invincible and we can't always save everyone. Plus, you fear Hengeyokais and it's not your fault that you do," she stated while putting an arm around her elder brother’s shoulders. "Stop putting yourself down so much Donghyun oppa because this whole thing was an accident and I am sure Minwoo will be alright."

 

"I hope so," Donghyun replied and sighed inwardly.

  

The atmosphere became dull and a silence hung between the two. There was no more conversation until Mr. Kim and Professor Jung appeared in front of them.

 

"Mr. Kim, freshmen No Minwoo has been attacked by a Hengeyokai. He is inside the nurses office and she is asking for your presence." Donghyun  announced as he stood up with his sister.

 

K. Will looked at the two and could tell they seemed tired, "A Hengeyokai  attack inside of the school? Did anyone other than Minwoo get hurt?" He asked, worry etched in his voice as he hastily opened the door to the infirmary.

 

"No Mr. Kim. Fortunately it was only the three of us." Hyorin answered.

 

"I see," K.will replied. “Mrs Jung, please inform all teachers and prefects about the attack, and make an announcement that all students are not to leave their dorms at all tonight.” “Certainly sir.”

With a nod the headmaster entered the nurses office and closed the door shut.

 

There was silence again as the Kim siblings sat down to wait. Until a moment later when more people appeared in front of them.

 

"Hyung! Hyung we heard that Minwoo was attacked by a Hengeyokai. Is he alright?" a scared Jeongmin came up to them asked.Youngmin, Kwangmin and Hyunseong had similar panicked expressions as they waited for an answer.

 

"We don't know for sure but the nurse and Mr. Kim are inside working on his injury."

 

The four then sat down alongside the two siblings with the same expression and feelings as the two. Nobody asked for any further information about the incident and the place was quiet. There was no use knowing the incident until Minwoo was in the safe zone.

 

Donghyun looked at his friends and then to the nurse’s door. He closed his eyes and prayed silently to save Minwoo. He didn't want to go through the pain of losing someone important to him once again.

 

The group of friends waited in silence, the atmosphere solemn that their precious friend could either be saved or not. It was a horrible feeling to feel that their friend could die and be stolen of his life.  

 

The white heavy doors with gold colored knobs finally swung open to reveal the headmaster, his expression weary but relieved. "The treatment spells were successful. Minwoo is going to be fine. He was saved just in time but resting right now," he informed the group. "I have sent notifications to the entire school population to stay in their dorms for the night and I will say the same to all of you here."

 

"We will, thank you very much Mr.Kim!" The group thanked and hurried into the room, the headmaster smiled slightly before returning to his office.

 

"He should be awake soon and the moment he wakes up one of you will have to prepare medicine with this herb. His magic powers are in weak condition. One of you would also need to use the water spell to help him numb the wound," the nurse informed them as she showed the group a bottle, "Don't stay up too late! And only one of you can stay overnight here with him!"  Then she left into her personal side room with a heavy tired sigh.

 

Youngmin alongside Kwangmin were the first to go approach the sleeping figure that was resting on a simple white fabricated bed. The twins ushered the others to follow and join and they complied. They were quiet.

 

"I can't believe that he was hurt this badly!" Youngmin stated as he gasped at the bandages that seemed to cover all of Minwoo's back. Minwoo moved a little and whimpered slightly, his facial expression obviously showing that he was in pain.

 

Hyunseong who had listened to the nurse knew what to do and slowly his ring glowed a hue purple colour. Then as he chanted a short spell, water started to accumulate under his hands. Stepping forward he started to dab the water and spread it on Minwoo's back. Minwoo pained expression also seemed to soften as he was relieved of the pain.

 

"I think we all need to take shifts for this water treatment," Hyunseong stated as he hovered his hands left and right, across Minwoo’s back  “Before he wakes up we should have the herb ready."

 

Jeongmin understood and got the herb that was well grounded and stored  in a metallic container. "I’ll need help with this," he turned towards the twins, "Kwangmin-ah use the combination spell for fire and water since you seem more relaxed with both elements."

 

Kwangmin did as he was told. His ring glowed a darker blue and blue fire ignited in the palm of his right hand, a water cyclone in the other. Jeongmin added the mashed herb with the water and the brunette carefully combined his 2 hands to cook the herbal water. It was going to take time. Youngmin sat beside his brother as looked at the burning flame. Hyorin was siting in one of the chairs placed beside the bed, looking at her guilty faced brother sitting across her. Donghyun looked at Minwoo's face with a depressed expression that was filled with guilt. He was gently holding onto Minwoo's left hand and solemnly apologizing inside his head.

 

12-15 minutes passed by just like that. Donghyun’s eyes widened as he felt Minwoo's hand twitch. He looked at the moving hand and back at Minwoo's face. Minwoo slowly groaned and tried to move his body but couldn't.The young boy’s eyes blinked open slowly, trying to get used to the light.

 

The older prefect sat up straight immediately. “Minwoo-ah, how are you feeling?” His voice was laced with worry.

 

"H-hyung…." Minwoo smiled weakly when his eyes focused on the elder, "I’m glad that you’re safe."

 

Hyunseong was surprised at the voice. Donghyun's eyes widened at the sudden confession and the regret filled him up even more.

 

"Guys, Minwoo is awake!" Hyorin announced and the other three quickly shuffled towards the said boy.

 

"Oh my goodness!!! Minwoo are you alright? How do you feel? Does anything hurt? Do you need anything? Can you speak? We were sooooo worried and I thought that I wouldn't- Oh my goodness we need to give you the medicine herb thing! Kwangmin!" questioned Youngmin with a vivid worried expression.

 

"Alright, Youngmin you need to quieten down because that's just disturbing Minwoo and yes, the herb should be ready," Jeongmin said and brought out the container filled with a thick green liquid.

 

Minwoo looked around at everyone and then at the medicine. His eyebrows furrowed in disgust as he looked at it. He looked up at Jeongmin and whined, "Do I have to drink it hyung? I don't like bitter things!"

 

Everybody smiled at the childish Minwoo and the atmosphere in the room lightened. With a lot of protest from Minwoo and explanation from Jeongmin and Donghyun the medicinal herb was finally swallowed.

 

"Hyunseong let's switch and I can put water on his back," Donghyun suggested and the other complied.

 

There was a moment of silence as everybody sat down excluding Donghyun and finally the question was asked.

 

"It might not be the right time but, um.. What exactly happened that you got so hurt?" Jeongmin asked. Everyone seemed tensed by the sudden question, at the same time eager to know.

 

Minwoo bit his lip and closed his eyes and took a deep sigh.

 

"I mean you don't have to tell us if your don't feel comfortable."

 

Minwoo closed his eyes as he remembered the memories of these past moments. "I felt uncomfortable during dinner when you guys were talking about joining the Orion team. I really didn't want to stay here at all. Then when I left to go to the washroom I met face to face with a Hengeyokai and that’s when I got attacked. There was nothing I could do and for a moment I had actually lost hope and I wouldn't be able to live anymore. Donghyun hyung came at that moment and helped me. I don't know what happened after I lost consciousness."

 

Hyorin looked at Minwoo with sympathy in her eyes, but she knew there was more and so she decided to press on, "What in their conversation made you so uncomfortable though? "

 

Opening his eyes Minwoo looked at Hyorin. "I….I guess I better tell you everything.”


“I have a fear of Hengeyokai.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is co-author Kittynya 

kuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu

 

hi! (smiley face)