Miracle

A Winter's Tale

"Sehun! Sehun! It's snowing! Look out your window!" Jaekyung screamed excitedly through the phone. She had purposely called me that afternoon just to inform me that the snow was falling for the first time that year.

I did as told and as I opened the curtains, it revealed a picturesque scenery. It was white and I was indeed amazed by the little bits of snow falling from the sky above and to the ground. It was nothing unusual nor it was a once-in-a-lifetime-chance or anything, but it was beautiful. It was such a beautiful season with the snow sparkling white like crystal. The cold winter sunlight that danced on my window-pane was bright but cold. Like diamonds.

"Do you see it?" Jaekyung asked on the other line.

"Eo. It's pretty," I commented.

"Ahhh! Why does the snow have to fall early? It would be perfect if it falls when we are on our date," Jaekyung whined.

I just chuckled at my girlfriend's cute behaviour. I replied, "It's already perfect now. You're not here, but we're still watching the first snow together, aren't we?"

"Well, yeah...but still."

"Tell you what. Why don't you get ready now and then you can meet your handsome boyfriend in 30 minutes, okay?" I suggested.

I could hear her giggle excitedly as she agreed to fasten our date. We were supposed to meet for dinner but I guessed there was no harm to meet up for a lunch date as well. 

 

I picked out a brown cashmere sweater coat from my wardrobe and put it on in front of a mirror. I tried posing in front of the mirror to see how I look and I chuckled. She was right. I do look better in this coat. The 'Growl' ringtone started blasting throughout my apartment suddenly which startled me a bit. The caller ID stated that it was Suho hyung. These guys, couldn't they wait for a few more minutes?

"Hello?" I said.

"Oh, Sehun-ah! Ya where are you? The guys are getting tired waiting for you," Suho hyung spoke a bit louder. I could hear that it was pretty noisy in the background.

"I'm heading there, hyung," I replied as I closed the apartment door.

"Alright then, hurry up!" the elder said before he hung up.

I took the elevator and then walked on the streets of Myungdong. The city of Seoul itself was lit up by colourful neon lights and fancy decorations. Everyone was busy doing their own things. People buying, people selling, people passing by. If only I hadn't feel so weird and strange. Why? Because I was alone. Everyone else was ecstatic and their excitement was clearly portrayed on their faces. It was the day before Christmas after all. For the first time, I felt lonely. Because she was not here with me.

There was a couple, boyfriend and girlfriend, trying to take a picture together. Unknowingly, I stopped in my tracks. The girlfriend, trying to take the perfect selca with her boyfriend reminded me of you. No, actually, they reminded me of us. Well, when there was an 'us.'

 

"Ahhh! One more time, Sehun," Jaekyung held her hands out and smiled for the camera. 1,2,3, click. She checked to see if the picture came out well but suddenly she pouted.

"Yah! Oh Sehun! What kind of face is that?" she scolded me because of the huge grin I did in the photo. Frankly, I was getting kind of exhausted taking another picture for the tenth time. So, I sarcastically did that facial expression on purpose. Plus, I liked it when she was mad. She looked cute rather than intimidating.

I shrugged innocently. She grimaced as she huffed her bangs, which I thought made her look cuter. I just loved teasing her like that as her reactions were funny and adorable. "One more time! If you screw up, I'm leaving you here on this street," she warned me. And so once again, she stretched out her hands and said, "Kimchi!" Click! 

"You really don't love me, do you? Ugh!" she screamed at me, probably agitated that I once again messed up. That time, I purposely looked away, pretended to be uninterested in the picture. Jaekyung was getting really mad and annoyed. She stomped her feet in annoyance and started walking away from me.

"Yah! What are you talking about? Of course I love you!" I shouted. She was walking away further and I had no choice but to follow her. She pretended to not hear a thing and kept on walking away. Her pace was getting faster by the second. I sighed and rushed up to her. Had I gone too far? Did I really made her that upset? Out of the blue, I just felt sorry towards her. Did my jokes this time went overboard? I started to become worried compared to my teasing mood earlier.

I grabbed her hand once I managed to and turned her around. "Yah, are you really mad?" I asked, concerned. But the only answer I got was silence. "I'm sorry, okay?" I held my hands firmly on her shoulders and stared directly into her eyes. They were not on the verge of crying, thank goodness. Instead, they were rather calm. She did not even try to look away from me.

The time seemed  to stop at that time. I knew everyone was watching us but it felt as if we were the only ones left in this world. After what seemed like forever she finally opened up, "Fine. You are forgiven. After all, you spending Christmas Eve alone is just going to be sad."

I chuckled at her response and pecked her on the lips. She was a bit startled because at that time, I was pretty sure I could hear the passer-bys whispering to each other about how cute we were or that were we trainee actors. 

At that moment, I took the polaroid that was in her hands and pulled her closer to me with my left hand. I stretched my right arm, the one with the camera, as far as I could and said, "1,2,..." Click! I managed to kiss her on the cheek which managed to make her blush. I showed her the photo and she smiled, feeling satisfied.

 

The couple walked away with the girl smiling in her boyfriend's embrace. I sighed when they were no longer seen as they turned around the corner. They certainly did remind me of my memories with you.

I pushed the doors to Lucky Cafe, the one that my friends and I hung out at the most. It had been decorated just the same as last year's December. Green, red, white and gold were splashed all around. The workers all dressed up in santa suits, putting on fake smiles, because who in their right minds would be happy when they had to work on Christmas Eve? The background music was playing 'All I Want for Christmas.' That got me thinking, was that the only Christmas song they could get hold of?

I walked up to a group of boys noisily chattering, joking around by themselves. They were obviously happy to celebrate this Christmas. I was glad that at least my friends were not as depressed as I was.

"Sehun! Finally, you're here! Why don't you go and order first?" Chanyeol hyung greeted me happily, cheekily grinning as always. I replied, "Okay," before going to the counter to get myself a drink. I stared hard at the menu that was advertised on the wall. Hmmmm, perhaps I should try a new drink? They had quite a list of Christmas drinks, those I never had the guts to try before. After one long thought, I ended up choosing the regular one I had been always drinking.

"One mango frappe," I said my order aloud, only to be shocked by the person beside me. She ordered at the same time as I did and I thought, did I really took that long to think earlier?

I looked to my side and our eyes met. My brain was screaming at me that she was right in front of me. It was telling me to say hi to her, to act normal, to act cool. I wanted to look like that in front of her, it was just that my heart lacked courage. I froze and so did my lips. Even when it was pretty warm inside, my lips couldn't seem to move. Ugh, Oh Sehun, way to make yourself look pathetic in front of the ex-girlfriend you had been thinking about everyday!

"Sehun?" she blurted first. Of course, she did. Because I was too damn stupid to even utter a simple hello.

"Jaekyung. It's been a long time. How are you?" that was the only thing that I could think of.

"Good. You?" 

"Good."

Silence. There it was again. As if mocking me, nothing could be heard except for the Christmas song. 

"So, two mango frappes?" the worker repeated our orders. I could tell by her expression that she was feeling rather guilty of whether to in or not, but I was pretty sure she had to get her job done.

"No, different orders," Jaekyung said.

"It's okay, make it two. Don't worry, it's on me," I offered. "But I came here with my friend. So, I need one Americano as well," she explained and bit her lip, feeling guilty. She probably didn't want to be burdened but I agreed to treat her friend as well. When the orders were done, I helped her carry her orders to her table. But what I saw was even more shocking. That friend was not a she. He was pretty good looking. Even for a flower boy like me.

"Oppa, this is my friend. He decided to treat us, today. Sehun, this is Siwon oppa. Oppa, Sehun," she introduced us. I put down their drinks and shook Siwon's hand. He was smiling broadly and I could tell he had this mascunility that women would be swooned over with. "Nice to meet you," he said, trying to act all friendly.

I despised him. How the hell could he already make my Jaekyung got over me within a year? Oh, I could just feel some sort of fire was burning madly inside of me! If I could, I would just hit him right across the face that very second. Let's see if Jaekyung was going to like you after your  face became distorted, shall we?

"Sehun! Sehun!" I got back to my senses when Jaekyung waved her hand in front of me. "Oh, sorry. Well, I should get back to my hyungs. You know, Exo hyungs are so impatient of their maknae," I rambled. The truth was, I just need to change my view to something less despicable. Somewhere that had no 'Siwon oppa' in it.

 

"He was just a sunbae!" Jaekyung yelled. For the first time, you actually yelled. It was not cute, not aegyo, it was you being mad. We always had fights before, but nowadays it was becoming almost too frequent. I didn't know what had gotten into us, when we were such a perfect team before.

"Sunbae? From the way I see it, I don't think so!" I hissed. The memory of you laughing and having a good time with that bastard was making my anger boil.

"We just had one meal, okay?!" you shot back. 

"Meal?" I scoffed. "Yeah okay, then I guess I should accept the noonas' offers to have lunch with me. You know how many women are out there willing to have a meal with me?"

"Oh so now you're talking about your beloved noonas, huh? Oh come on, Sehun! Grow up!"

"Why not? You can have a meal with that dude but I can't?"

"Please don't judge me without having any solid proof. I am not lying to you," Jaekyung sighed hard. Her expression was dark and I could tell that she was tired of this whole fighting.

"Well then why does it feel like you are?!" I shouted back.

"You know what, if you can't trust me, maybe this whole thing is a mistake. Meeting you was a mistake too. Falling in love with you was the dumbest mistake I ever did!"

"I'm a mistake? You are unbelievable," I ruffled my hair in irritance.

"Let's just break up then!" she finally blurted out the painful words that I wished to have never come out. My emotions hit me like a bullet through my chest. It hurt so bad but my pride was winning at that time.

"Go! Go if you want to leave me so bad then," I said. She looked at me, surprised and taken aback. But then, she managed to compose herself, went into her room, took out her luggage and started stuffing her clothes into it. After a while, she came out of the room, pulling her suitcase and she tossed a small box which looked like to be a present.

"Merry Christmas, Sehun," she sarcastically said that out loud. Jaekyung opened the door and smashed it close. I sat down on the beige sofa (the one she chose when we first moved in) and ran my fingers through my hair in frustration. She actually walked out on me. I scoffed thinking how absurd the situation was. I glanced to my right and the small present she threw at me earlier caught my eye. Slowly, I unwrapped the red ribbon on top of it only to unveil a fancy looking watch. It was expensive, probably could take up my whole salary. I put it on, already feeling restless of why didn't I stopped her earlier. Regret rushed through my veins for my harsh words before.

Nice one, Oh Sehun. Way to go.

 

A year had passed and yet here I was, in the exact same place after she had left. I stared at my apartment door, the one that allowed her to walk out of my life. This place seemed so cold now without her around. It was gloomy and dark, the wonderful aroma from her cooking were no longer lingering around. It felt empty, like something was lacking. And deep down inside, I knew that 'something' was her.

If only a miracle would happen. If only I could turn back time. If only I treated her better. If only I didn't let her go.

"Please, come back to me, Jaekyung-ah," I muttered softly before I broke into tears. Soon, I started sobbing uncontrollably, be my unlucky fate. 

"Ding dong!" the sound of the doorbell ringing startled me from my dreadful crying. I stood up and walked towards the monitor to check who was outside my door. My eyes bulged in surprise when I saw her blinking innocently towards the screen. Forgetting the tear stains on my face, I immediately dashed to the door and opened it. 

Na Jaekyung. She was there, she was really there. I pulled her into my embrace and hugged her tightly as tears started trickling down my face. It wasn't like me at all to cry in front of a girl, on top of that, because of a girl. But at that time, I threw away my stupid ego and just savour the moment of being able to hold her again in my arms.

"Se-sehun," she stuttered. Obviously, she was even more shocked than I was. "Wh-what are you doing?"

'I'm so sorry," I blurted out the words I should have said a year ago. "For everything, Jaekyung."

We just stayed silent like that for a few minutes, she didn't even try to break free from me. I wished to be able to hold her like this forever even when I knew I did wrong. Finally, I let her out of the hug and looked her in the eyes. My eyes were puffy from all the crying and I could feel a trace of wetness around the lids. At that time, I was ready to beg for her forgiveness. I would even kneel for her at that rate.

Instead, she flashed her winsome, angelic smile to me and slowly wiped the tears on my cheek with her thumb. "Don't cry, Sehun. What are you going to do about your handsome face, then?" she joked. I chuckled at her wittiness. She didn't change at all for the past year.

"I actually came to give you this. Suho oppa said that you left this at the cafe earlier and something about you going to end up crying while celebrating Christmas alone because you saw me and my 'new boyfriend'," she handed me my black leather wallet. 

"Suho hyung said that?" I asked. Sometimes I felt like he could really read my mind. Perhaps he knew me too well.

"And he was right. But there was one thing he was wrong about. Siwon oppa...he's not my boyfriend. He's going to marry Minkyung unnie next month. My future brother-in-law," Jaekyung explained everything which left me dumbfounded. I gaped at her answer and she just laughed at me.

"I am sorry, too. I was just so mad at that time but I didn't mean a word I said," she confessed.

"So, you want to be my girlfriend again?" I asked cautiously. 

"Why would I be here then?" she immediately kissed me on the lips, causing me to be off guard due to her bold action. I kissed her back passionately, relieved that she was mine again. 

After we break apart from the kiss, she wished me, "Merry Christmas, Oh Sehun. I love you."

"Merry Christmas, Na Jaekyung. And I love you too," I circled my arms around her waist and pulled her into a warm hug again. I kissed the top of her temple, feeling grateful. It was indeed a miracle in December.

 

Finally, done! Thanks to the people who subscribed, I totally wasn't expecting that! Keke. Honestly, I didn't have any idea for this story at first. I just did the poster first and then it was like I had to post a Christmas story with EXO in it. Their songs were just too amazing and I actually used them for inspiration. Vocal line, your voices were lovely. Christmas is over, but December isn't. Enjoy the final 2013, guys!