My Best Friend

My Best Friend
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Hi. My name is Cheon Seonhee. P-please take care of me!" she bowed hesitantly, lowering her head so that no one could see her face. Everyone chuckled at her shyness. Seonhee bit her lip nervously. She lifted her head back up and cautiously made her way towards the desk that the teacher pointed out to her. All her classmates whispered and giggled as she passed by their tables.

"She seems timid. It's cute," a student whispered.

"She doesn't seem like such a bad person," another added on. Seonhee tightly held onto her bag and sat down. She didn't move a muscle at her seat and looked as stiff as a board. Seonhee glanced to her left. A boy calmly stared at her with great interest. With her shy personality, she hid her face and faced the other way. The boy reached out a hand and poked her. Seonhee jumped in surprise and turned to look at him.

"Hi," he gently smiled with a small wave. Seonhee blankly stared back at him. "so, your name is Seonhee huh?" He asked. She slowly nodded. "My name is Kim Jongdae, it's nice to meet you!" he grinned as he held out a hand. Seonhee glanced down at his hand, then back up at his face. The two just stared at each other. Chen made a sour face. He took her hand and shook it with his own. "There." he grinned again. Chen went back to his work. Seonhee stared at him, bewildered.

It was now lunchtime, and everyone had dispersed. Seonhee was new to the school system. Before entering junior high, she spent her elementary days as a homeschool student. That was when her dad was alive. Due to a heart problem, he, unfortunately, passed away, forcing Seonhee's mom to work two jobs to support the both of them, which resulted in Seonhee getting sent to a public school. During lunch, Seonjae always stayed inside the classroom, but, she wasn't the only one. Strangely enough, the curious little boy named, Jongdae, stayed with her also, pestering her with questions non-stop. Seonhee was never much of a talker, especially after her dad passed away. She always answered his questions by writing her response down. Even when she did talk, it'd be short and soft.

"Hey, Seonhee, what do you want to be when you grow up?" Chen asked.

'I want to be a medical scientist,' she scribbled down.

"Oh. Why is that?" he queried. Seonhee first paused, then smiled to herself.

"I think that it would be nice to help find cures for people," she continued to grin at him. "It's nice that people spend their life trying to save others. I think it's heartwarming."

"Oh! She talked!" Chen pointed his finger at her with a light gasp. Seonhee froze. She blushed and turned away to hide her face. "No, it's okay! I like your voice." Chen held a thumbs up. Seonhee relaxed at his words and turned back to him.

"Really?" She asked. Chen nodded. Seonhee smiled.

"So you want to be a medical scientist, why that specifically?"

"I was watching a show on TV, and a person died because of a disease. It made me cry when I saw the rest of the family." she put a hand to her heart. "That's why I want to help others. I understand what it's like to lose someone dear to you..especially if it just appeared out of nowhere. It wasn't there, to begin with. Just imagine if there was a medicine that could prevent heart attacks for life! A lot of people would be happy." she brightly smiled. Chen lightly chuckled at her. "So, what do you want to be when you grow up, Jongdae?"

"M-me?" he pointed to himself. He brightly smiled. His cheeks brightened with a hint of pink. "I want to be a singer."

"Ah, really?" she asked. Chen nodded again.

"Don't tell anyone but.." he moved closer and whispered. "I even thought of a stage name for myself. Do you want to know?" Seonhee nodded her head. "I want my stage name to be Chen." he proudly beamed.

"Chen? Why Chen?"

"Because it sounds cool and it's simple," he explained with excitement.

"Ah," she nodded. "Chen...I like it." she held a thumbs up. The two grinned at each other. "Would you like me to start calling you that?"

"Would you?!" Chen jumped up and down. "It will start to catch on with everyone~" he clapped his hands. Chen suddenly stopped and looked at her. "So, you don't think it's weird?"

"Of course not," she shook her head with a gentle smile. Chen fanboyed quietly to himself in his seat. "...you'll sing for me, right?" Seonhee asked. Chen stopped and looked up at her again.

"Sure," he shyly smiled. "I'll practice in front of you every day so that you can hear my progress and tell me how I'm doing." The two nodded at each other. "And I trust that if I ever become sick, you'll come up with a medicine to save me?"

"Yes," she chuckled.

"It's a deal then," he held out a hand. Seonhee gently shook it. The two looked at each other and laughed.

 

 

 

"Seonhee?" Chen called out. As usual, there was no answer. Five years had passed, and the young preteens have already entered their second year of high school. Seonhee focused on her medical career, and therefore, has been studying hard to get into a good medical college. Chen focused on his music career and auditioned for every audition available possible. He sang to Seonhee now and then, composing songs or just singing his versions of others. Chen climbed up the tree and onto her balcony. He tapped at the glass window. "Seonhee, open up," he smiled. Seonhee only ever faltered her gaze from stuff for Chen, but strangely enough, she didn't this time. Chen pursed his lips. "Seonhee, take a break. I haven't seen you in a whole week."

"I can't right now. I'm going to take a test this weekend. I must study hard!"

"Come on, just for a little bit~."

"No," she sternly decided. Chen sighed. He leaned against the balcony railing and just watched her through the window. Chen took a while to glance around before staring at her again. He cheekily smiled to himself before clearing his throat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4IUWLMPuC8

"Fail three times, cry six times, overcome five times, you can see the end," he began to sing. "the more you rush ahead, you will lose important things. Give yourself some time so that you can catch your breath." Seonhee froze. It was easy for her to ignore Chen, but not when he was singing. Chen's voice was like an angel. He genuinely smiled at her as he held out a hand. Seonhee finally got up from her seat and opened up the balcony door. She unconsciously walked outside and placed her hand on Chen's. He warmly embraced it into his palm and paused just to kiss it, then continued singing. "Like the sun that always rises at the same place, 3.6.5, every morning, I start my day by waking you up. 3.6.5, every one minute, one second, without a break, I will be with you. 3.6.5, as I hold your hand, 3.6.5, I'll never let go." Seonhee curved the corners of her lips. She looked down with a shy smile, her cheeks pink. Chen smiled back at her. He retrieved his hand then wrapped his arms around her waist and gave her a big hug, gently patting her hair.

"Did you write that?" she asked, her voice muffled against his chest. Chen nodded.

"I wrote it just for you," he chuckled and pulled back. "It was just a little snippet. I wanted to surprise you." He brushed a strand of her hair behind her ear. "I miss hanging out with my best friend."

"Oh whatever," Seonhee waved it away and hid her blushing face. Chen chuckled again.

"So, you said your test is on the weekend? Want me to come with you?"

"Sure," she brightly smiled. She pulled Chen into her room, closing the balcony door behind them. Immediately, she went back to her desk to continue her study.

"Ahhh no!" Chen nudged her shoulder. "Pleaaaaase, just take some time to spend with me!" He pulled on her arm and stomped his feet like a child. She turned to look at him with a disappointed look.

"Chen, you know how important this test is for me. Can't you understand my feelings?"

"Seonhee," Chen knelt beside her chair. He pouted, taking her hand in his. "I'm very considerate of your feelings." he gently swiped his thumb over the back of her hand. "Can we just go out, just this once? I promise I won't bother you anymore until after your test!"

"Chen..." she furrowed her brows as she looked at him.

"Seonhee," he continued to pout, swaying his body side-to-side as he did so.

"Chen..." she repeated. Chen just did the same thing, having no intention of leaving her alone. "Ugh, fine. What do you want to do?"

"Perfect! Let's go on a date." he stood up, pulling her from her chair.

"A what? D-date?"

"Yeah! You've been so busy with your work, you forgot about that new milkshake shop that opened. We promised we'd go with each other."

"Oh, that's right...I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it. Let's go now!" Chen pulled her out of her room. They locked up the house before leaving and walked down the sidewalk. The pair lived in a small town in the countryside. Everything was within walking distance. The restaurant had an American diner theme to it. The two sat in a little booth near the front of the room. Seonhee gaped around the int

Please log in to read the full chapter