Snow in California

Snow in California

 

       "Do you really have to go?" I ask for the millionth time. She chuckles, shaking her head lightly.

       "Dara, you know I need to. My work won't clear itself up." I pout, following her as she scurries around my apartment, cleaning up.

       "But I don't like staying away from you!" I whine jokingly. She laughs as she bends down to unplug her laptop charger.

       "You'll survive," she consoles. Suddenly, she drops her charger on the floor and turns around, gently grabbing my chin. Her lips capture my surprised ones in a kiss that overflows with tangible love and warmth.

       "I don't like staying away from you either," she murmurs once she breaks away, putting her forehead on mine. I close my eyes, feeling our hands intertwine and marveling in the comfort that immediately calms me.

       After a couple of moments in beautiful silence, she pulls back and kisses me lightly on the forehead. We lock our eyes together and her eyes are filled with sadness that pulls at my heart. But she smiles gently and turns back around, grabbing her charger and putting it in her bag.

       She grabs my hand and pulls me over to the door where the rest of her luggage is waiting. I stumble after her, still caught in my own selfish disappointment.

       We walk out to the waiting taxi hand in hand. I help her put her suitcase in the trunk and then she kisses me longingly and I immediately melt into her embrace.

       She pulls away, looking at me with a bittersweet gaze.

       "Until next year, baby Ssantokki," she says breathlessly, chuckling a tiny bit. I chuckle too.

       "Until next year, CL-roo." And with that, she turns away, getting in the taxi. She drives away without another look and I feel a slight twinge of relief. At least we both didn't try to prolong the agony of separation.

       I wave halfheartedly as the taxi drives out of sight. Then I turn around, my heart feeling emptier than ever, a familiar feeling I can never seem to get used to every Christmas.

       As I walk into my apartment building, I glance at the sky, pouting childishly.

       "Santa, what happened to our agreement? Look at how sunny it is! Hul..." I mutter as I enter the building and slam the door a little too hard.

       I reach my apartment and kick off my shoes, flumping onto the couch and flipping through a magazine absentmindedly. My mind starts to drift to our times together.

       How we video chat every day, blowing kisses into the camera and laughing at each other. How I pick her up from the airport every year a week before Christmas and how the look on both of our faces makes us burst into embarrassed giggles. How we spend all the time we possibly have doing whatever we can while we have the chance to be together in person. How we separate three days after Christmas every year with resigned hearts.

       And how each year, the Christmas magic helps us both realize how deep our love runs for each other. And how that love carries us through the year until the next holiday season.

       A click of the door startles me out of my reverie. I jump up, the magazine flipping off my lap and folding on the ground.

       The door slowly swings open and the sight I see makes my heart leap and jump and beat against my ribcage.

       Chaerin stands there with a goofy grin on her face.

       "Santa called. He told me I should stay and you know what? I agree." She drops her suitcase and her laptop case on the ground, holding her arms out. I laugh in surprised delight, rushing up to her and jumping into her arms.

       She squeaks in surprise, stumbling back from my weight.

       "Hey you," she says, holding me tight.

       "I didn't know it was next year already, CL-roo," I tease, my voice chirping with glee. She just laughs, snuggling into the crook of my neck.

       I close my eyes, inhaling her scent and smiling blissfully.

       "Thank you, Santa," I whisper with an exhale. Chaerin pulls away with a confused look. She looks at me, her eyes a mix of happiness and curiosity.

       "What'd you say?" she asks breathlessly. She tilts her head a little. I smile softly, shaking my head and hugging her again, surrounding myself with her warmth.

       "It's nothing. Merry Christmas I love you."

       "I love you too."

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~