ONE.

Wrong Match

The deep voice Baekhun was familiar with woke him in the middle of his nap. He rubbed his droopy eyes a little bit too roughly, only to find his roommate talking so loudly on the phone. Baekhyun could guess who it was in the other line. ‘He really can’t keep it down, can he?’ Baekhyun grumbled, trying to be as low as possible, but the other man seemed to notice it. Chanyeol, Park Chanyeol it was. The unnecessarily tall man with big eyes, big ears, big feet, and pretty much everything about him is big. Chanyeol gave him an apologetic look before going back to put the biggest grin on his face.

Stupid freaking… cute… grin.

Baekhyun hated himself for thinking that way, but he was not going to lie to himself any longer. He had battled with his own feelings and sanity for the past 5 months, and he had finally come to conclusion that he liked his best friend, his childhood friend (since they were wearing diapers), the one and only gigantic Park Chanyeol. Baekhyun was sure it was because of the day Baekhyun broke down in his arms. One month before he started doubting his feelings for the younger guy, his mother breathed for the last time. Baekhyun was extremely… sad. He had a very loving and warm relationship with his mother. No, his mother did not die in an accident or anything, Baekhyun and his family knew that she was sick for a long time. She was strong enough to hold it until then, but God had another plan anyway. Baekhyun tried to be as accepting as possible, wanting to set a good example for his younger brother. He had always been a cheerful one, so he thought it wouldn’t be that hard to put an act. But reality hit him. He had to take his graduation picture without his mom. It was just the three of them, his brother, his dad, and him. Tears had been bubbling in his eyes when he stared at the picture before Chanyeol wrapped his arms around him. He held Baekhyun so tightly.

Baekhyun was quite surprised. To be fair, their friendship didn’t usually involve physical contact and affection. All Chanyeol did was make fun of him and Baekhyun did the same. But he didn’t mind though. Instead, he was grateful that Chanyeol had been there all along. Ever since then, Chanyeol threw less insult, and he really took a good care of the smaller one. He treated him like a prince sometimes, Baekhyun would often baffle at the situation. But once again, deep down, he was not complaining. He was beyond happy. He was happy that his cheeks flushed sometimes whenever Chanyeol got so close. He was that happy that he kept stumbling over his words whenever Chanyeol praised him. He was that happy until he realized his heart skipped a beat for his best friend and it was not mere happiness. It took him quite awhile but he finally admitted it to himself.

Baekhyun liked, or maybe was a little- just a little bit in love.

“Sorry about that,” Chanyeol added after hanging up the phone, a sheepish smile following.

Baekhyun shrugged and got off the bed, making his way to their shared bathroom. His face was super greasy and his dark circles weren’t making his face any better. Baekhyun heaved a low sigh before responding, “Jongin again?”

Chanyeol nodded happily at the mention of the other guy. Kim Jongin, right. He was Chanyeol’s new love interest. Chanyeol’s first ever male interest. Hell! Baekhyun didn’t even know Chanyeol liked dudes until he confessed that he had his eyes on Jongin when they were binging on Netflix two weeks ago.

“Yeah, he agreed going on a date with me. Well not exactly, I’m going to take him for a coffee tomorrow, he lent me his notes,” Chanyeol beamed excitedly. Baekhyun knew Chanyeol had been waiting for that moment to come.

Baekhyun finished up with the washing on his face, wiped it with a towel, then walked out of the bathroom. Honestly, Baekhyun still looked like he hadn’t been sleeping for ages.

“Okay, since I’m really happy right now, and I feel bad for waking you up when I know that you had been messing your sleeping schedule for the midterms, let me treat you Baskin Robbins,” Chanyeol announced and tried to cling his hands around Baekhyun’s. Baekhyun winced a little at the touch but he didn’t say anything and let himself got dragged by Chanyeol out of their dorm room.

Chanyeol never let go of Baekhyun’s hand as he pulled the shorter to walk faster. Baekhyun only laughed a little bit at Chanyeol’s excitement. “Slow down, will you? I only got 20 minutes of sleep because of you.” Baekhyun gave him a little smack on Chanyeol’s arm.

“Right, right. You’re getting ice cream any-“ Chanyeol stopped in the middle of his sentence. His gaze was focused on the man with a sun-kissed skin just a few meters away from them. That was the devil himself, the very hot and attractive Kim Jongin.

Baekhyun knew what was coming, because Chanyeol had put him in several similar situation before, he was going to-

“Baek, I know you’re going to hate me but, “ Chanyeol turned to Baekhyun with his best apologetic eyes he could give, “please. It had been hard to talk to him lately. I just want to make sure he is really going to show up tomorrow.”

-leave him again just by himself.

Baekhyun tried his best to look unaffected. “Yeah, go ahead, . You owe me double then,” Baekhyun replied in a joking manner.

Chanyeol pouted, “Yah, I could barely last this month-“

“Or I’m going to tell Jongin that you peed in your pants until you were 8.”

Chanyeol widened his eyes and tried to shut Baekhyun’s mouth. “Don’t you dare! Fine, I’ll get you double ice cream. See you later, Byun!”

Baekhyun could only watch him leave and approached Jongin. He chuckled to himself. He was sure that it was just a crush, and he would get over it soon. He should be supportive of his best friend.

Idiot, Baekhyun cursed himself.

“You must have liked him a lot,” a voice Baekhyun recognized almost made his heart drop.

“Sehun! What are you saying…” Baekhyun tried to hide his nervousness, “I will never like Chanyeol that way, you know.”

Sehun couldn’t hide his laughter. “I didn’t even mention Chanyeol, but I guess I was right all along.”

Baekhyun felt really stupid. How could he fall for that kind of  that trap? Sehun didn’t even have tu try. “You prick. Fine, I like him, but it’s probably just a crush. I’ll get over it.”

“From the way you defend yourself, it sounds more than just a crush to me,” Sehun responded with his annoying smirk. The youngest one out of their circle of friends really didn’t know how to respect his older hyung sometimes.

Baekhun puffed his cheeks. He wanted to escape from Sehun’s questioning, and maybe even went back to his room to catch some more sleep. “What do you want, Sehunnie?”

Sehun shook his head and made a face playfully. “Nothing, hyung. It’s just sad to see your undying unrequited love-“

Baekhun sent the deadliest glare to Sehun and tried to cover his mouth with his hand. “What if somebody heard you?!”

“Heard what?” a new face appeared and  Baekhyun almost had a heart attack. He was glad it was just another friend of theirs. If it were Chanyeol, Baekhyun would make Sehun’s life a living hell for sure.

“Ah, Luhan-hyung. Nothing.” Baekhyun waved his hands and assured Luhan that they were just fooling around.

“You kiddos. Whatever. Sehun, Your dad asked me repeatedly to come to our family dinner. You already missed it twice,” Luhan scolded him Baekhyun just stood there as if he was forgotten by the two.

“Come on hyung. You know that Lu Yang doesn’t like me, she has a boyfriend for sake,” Sehun said and snorted.

Luhan softened his eyes towards the younger. He smiled and squeezed Sehun’s shoulder, trying to relax Sehun’s tensed emotion. “I know you both are still young. I also disagree if our parents rush you two into marriage. But… just come, okay? I’ll help you out if they put you on edge.”

Sehun couldn’t help himself. The cheeky and I’d-do-whatever-I-want Sehun could only give in to Luhan’s words. Who could resist when Luhan was giving him his doe-like expression? Luhan always had that charm. Anybody would do anything Luhan asked. And Sehun was not excluded.

“Great, see you later, Hun, Baek,” Luhan bid his goodbye with a smile before walking past Baekhyun and Sehun.

“Wow,” was all Baekhyun could say.

Sehun gave him a look, “What?”

“You must’ve liked him a lot,” Baekhyun replied with a teasing raised eyebrow. Sehun snorted at the statement.

“No , Sherlock. I don’t like him that much, he’s just much more interesting than his younger sister.”

Baekyun didn’t hold back his laughter. Sehun wasn’t as tough as he always looked. “Yeah, whatever lover boy.”

Sehun didn’t ask Baekhyun’s permission when he pulled his wrist. Baekhyun protested and asked where they were going, but Sehun only gave him a cheeky grin and kept pulling him until they arrived in front of Sehun and Kyungsoo’s shared room. Baekhyun frowned upon this scene. Was Sehun going to try something? As annoying and as bratty Sehun was, he knew Sehun wasn’t like that. Also, he liked Luhan-

“Don’t let that mind wander any longer,” Sehun broke his imagination and shook his head in disbelief, “I can’t believe you think of me that way, hyung. How could you.”

“I didn’t even say anything.”

“Yeah, sure hyung.” Sehun opened the door and let Baekhyun inside. Baekhyun didn’t expect Sehun’s room to be this clean, but then again he remembered that Kyungsoo was Sehun’s roommate. Kyungsoo was a total clean freak so that made sense.

“So… what am I doing here again?” Baekhyun asked with his eyes squinted.

“Nothing, just want to spend time with you,” Sehun said and threw himself to the couch.

“We hang out but it’s never just the two of us… Sehun I know you want to move on from Luhan hyung but I’m not the best option, I’m sure you can find-“ Baekhyun’s words got interrupted by a laughing Sehun.

“Hyung, chill. Let’s watch a movie. Kyungsoo hyung still has an exam tomorrow so he has been spending his time in the library since this morning.”

“Well, nobody says becoming a doctor is easy,” Baekhyun shrugged and finally took a seat next to Sehun, not too close yet not too far either.

Sehun his smart TV and scrolled through his Netflix. “Yeah, Luhan hyung is super busy too,” Sehun said and Baekhyun knew there were more words Sehun wanted to actually put but he decided not to push it.

“What do you want to watch?” Sehun turned to him, unable to find interesting movies to watch since he had watched most of them.

“How about cartoon?”

Sehun made a mocking face, “Are you serious?”

Baekhyun’s face turned red as he was being embarrassed by his choice of movies. “Well, you asked for my opinion! I’m fine with anything…”

“Okay, horror then,” Sehun nodded to himself.

Baekhyun stopped Sehun’s hand from choosing the horror movie, and added, “Let’s just watch romcom or something.”

Sehun chuckled at the older one but said nothing and went along with it. Twenty minutes went by, and the found themselves immersed by the movie. They shared their thoughts over the time, but Baekhyun was still curious until know. He knew Sehun had another intention asking him to watch a movie with him.

“Sehun, are you not going to tell me?” Baekhyun whispered although there was nobody there.

Sehun faced Baekhyun with much confusion on his face. “Tell you what?”

Baekhyun shrugged and bumped his right shoulder to Sehun’s left. “I don’t know but you do. Come on, just tell me.”

Sehun sighed and pretended as if he was caught. “Fine, fine. I’m going to tell you.”

“Okay, go on…”

“I have a plan.”

“Keep going. About what?” Baekhyun became really impatient with Sehun.

“Well, it involves Chanyeol and Jongin.”

 


 

hi! so this chapter went mostly like the previous one i wrote, but some details were different, so it's better to re-read it. i hope you guys enjoyed this.

p.s baekhyun's brother is younger than him here & luhan has a younger sister which I don't really know what to name her. if you can come up with better suggestion, please leave it in the comment!