Two Odd Boys

Knock Knock

Author's Note:

Chapters shall be short for now until I actually know where this fic is going or if I should really still continue it~

--

"Isn't that Park Sandara?"
"So it's true? She'll really be studying here?"
"So much for being a student of some prestigious school, huh?"

Dara could feel the embarrassed heat rising up her cheeks as she walks down the corridor, trying her very best to keep her eyes focused up ahead. She couldn't bring herself to look at anyone. Not only are they judging her for completely flunking out of her old school, but they're also judging the way she dresses. Or at least, she thinks they are. She should've worn something normal; like what any high school student in middle class would wear. But how would she know that when she doesn't even belong in that class?

'I shouldn't mind them. Just get to your first class and you'll be fine.' She thinks to herself, relief slowly swelling up inside her the closer she's reaching for her destination.

Upon finally entering the classroom, she nearly yelps in surprise when a paper plane suddenly comes flying to her direction though it ends up hitting the wall beside her. A round of laughter enters her ears and she glances over at the far back of the classroom where a group of young boys are laughing and grinning at her reaction. She huffs at their immaturity before averting her attention to an empty seat which is... oh great, just right near those boys. She frowns at the thought and tries to look harder for a better seat but she fails to have enough time when the teacher has finally stepped inside. Pursing her lips, she hurries to the vacant seat while at the same time, trying not to pay attention to the immature boys who are still snickering at her.

"Good morning, class!" Their teacher greets them in a quite enthusiastic mood in which the class greets her with equal amount of eagerness. It seems like the teacher is well-liked. "Do I still have to introduce myself?" She asks, giving her students a playful look.

"You don't have to, Miss Hyojin~" One of the male students sighs dreamily.

The teacher clicks her tongue and shakes her head. "Now now, what did I say about calling me by my real name? Just call me Narsha!"

Dara squirms uncomfortably on her seat, somehow feeling out of place. But then again, she is literally out of place considering the fact that she's the only one not in her uniform. And it appears like Narsha had noticed that for her eyes immediately settle on her and a friendly smile tugs the corners of the woman's lips.

"Oh yes, I have almost forgotten." She pleasantly clasps her hands together. "We have a new student joining us for the rest of the year. Miss Park, please stand up and introduce yourself."

And as though on cue, Dara immediately feels all eyes are settled on her and she suddenly feels her legs shaking out of pure anxiety. She never had a problem introducing herself before. Hell, she never even had to introduce herself for everyone already knows who she is. Belonging in the first class, she knows that she should feel like she's above every person in the room but she wasn't raised that way. She knows that a person should not be defined by their class at all which explains her sudden insecurity of the fact that the students around her are constantly judging her every move in spite of the fact that they're a class below her.

"Stand up already unless you want to be a bigger disappointment than you already are." Someone behind her with a somewhat deep voice says, causing her to flinch in surprise. She looks over her shoulder to see a tall light-brown-haired boy with large innocent-looking eyes, and his ears somewhat bigger than they should be. He's part of the immature boys and he's evidently giving her an amused smirk, making her frown at him before finally standing up and facing their teacher.

"I'm... My name is Park Sandara but you may call me Dara for short." She finally says, surprised that her voice is hardly shaking in spite of her racing heart. "I transferred here from--" She abruptly cuts her words off in mid-sentence after realizing where her introduction is going. She casts a glance at her classmates who are all giving her expectant looks as though they know what she'll be saying next. She swallowed the thick lump that has formed in as she tries to recollect her thoughts which is quite futile due to the fact that the stares are giving her a hard time.

"She transferred from Saint Maiden," the boy with the deep voice continues for her and she looks over her shoulder again to give him a confused and bewildered look. He, however, looks bored now compared to how he was just snickering with his friends a few minutes ago. "but because she relied too much on her family's name and reputation, she utterly flunked out which is not a surprise because most rich girls think they can get away with anything just as long as they have their daddy's money."

He then looks at her, a playful challenging glint flashing in his round eyes. "And now, she's repeating her junior year in hope to get her widdle daddy's approval which is unlikely because she's no longer a student of Saint Maiden. So princess, how does it feel like to take your off the throne and join us so-called peasants?"

A number of giggles and snickers fill the air of the classroom as Dara averts her gaze down at the floor, not certain how to respond to his question. She hardly sees them as peasants at all but it seems like this boy here assumes that she does due to her background.

"Now that's enough Chanyeol." Narsha gives the boy a warning look before focusing back to Dara, a smile gracing her lips. "Are there anything else you'd like to share, Dara?"

Dara purses her lips and shakes her head before promptly sitting back down at her seat, her cheeks completely flushed with color. What is that guy's problem? What did she ever do to him?

--

Break time. Not exactly the hour Dara is looking forward to.

She couldn't help the displeased frown the dawns upon her lips once she catches sight of the cafeteria food. They hardly look presentable at all compared to Saint Maiden's and she wonders whether or not the food is clean. Should she still even buy some? She chews on her bottom lip and steps out of the line, knowing that her hesitance is probably going to keep the other people behind her waiting.

"What's wrong, Dara?" A familiar deep voice enters her ears and she turns to look at a particular table taken by the familiar group of immature boys. The same tall boy with round eyes, who she is assuming is Chanyeol, offers her an entertained smirk. "You think the food is not worthy of your attention? Yeah, I guess it's better for you to starve than be seen eating our kind of food. Don't lose too much weight though or we might end up barely seeing you anymore, chicken legs."

A round of laughter spreads on the table but Dara could only frown at him before stepping out of the cafeteria, her cheeks once again warm with color. No, there is no way she is going to retort to every idiotic thing that slips from his lips. She's just going to let him see that his taunts do not bother her and that a person like him is not worthy of her attention.

As she walks down the corridor, her stomach makes a low rumbling sound. Her frown deepens.

'Maybe I should just buy the cafeteria food... but that would mean facing Chanyeol again... Aish...! Why is this day turning out worse than I imagined?'

She runs her fingers through her auburn hair as she settles herself on the bench, barely noticing a particular blond seated on the other end with a book in hand. Dara huffs to herself and crosses her arms, wondering whether or not she should go back to the cafeteria. Maybe she should just wait for Chanyeol and his group to leave... then she could get her food. But how long is that going to take? Her hunger is getting worse.

"Go be an eye sore somewhere else, Park Sandara."

Blinking in surprise, Dara glances over at her side to see--

"Ah, you're... you're that guy I encountered this morning..." She ends up blurting out without thinking. The blond refuses to settle his gaze at her as he flips a page of his book.

"I believe you didn't hear what I said." He says, not giving her a single glance. "I said go be an eye sore somewhere else. I'm reading here." 

"What am I doing wrong?" Dara slightly pouts at him in befuddlement.

"Being an eye sore."

"I'm not...!"

"You are." The boy sighs, finally closing his book and looking at her through his spectacles. "A person who has failed their family will always be an eye sore. Now stay away from me. I do not wish to catch your germs, you incompetent idiot." 

"What did you call me?" Dara grits her teeth, her hands slowly clenching into fists. Who does he think he is calling her names? The last time she checked, they study in the same school which evidently makes them both on equal stand. No one is above or below than anyone. And yet this blondie here still thinks he has the right to call her names? 

"Not only are you an idiot," he pushes his glasses back up to the bridge of his nose. "but you are also deaf. The disappointment just keeps on piling up."

What?!

Having enough of his attitude, Dara opens to finally snap at him until a loud cheerful voice cuts her off.

"Jiyong-oppa! Jiyong-oppa!"

Dara is immediately pushed away from the blond by a certain short female brunette who immediately sits down beside the boy, who is obviously Jiyong, with an all-ear grin. Resting on her lap is a packed lunch. "Jiyong-oppa, were you waiting for me?"

"Unlikely." Jiyong scowls at her before opening his book again and focusing on whatever it is the book is about. "Now leave me be. I don't want a taste of your cooking that is obviously created with cheap ingredients. I only eat what my personal chef makes me." Dara just couldn't believe how he's rudely dismissing the girl... in spite of how the girl had just also rudely pushed her away. The girl doesn't seem to mind his attitude though for she opens her packed lunch, her sweet smile hardly ceasing.

"Ta-da! I made this just for you!" She exclaims excitedly but Jiyong doesn't even bother to take his attention off the book. "Come on, oppa! You'll like it! Just try it out!"

"Take a more thorough bath and I'll consider it." Jiyong says before standing up and walking away, evidently annoyed. The girl just watches his retreating back, her shoulders slumped in defeat. Dara, who's seated at the other end of the bench, looks at her-- uncertain if she should say something or not. She doesn't exactly like how Jiyong had treated the girl. Annoying or not, nobody deserves to be dismissed like that-- especially one who's offering him food.

"Don't let him get to you." She finally manages to say, stealing the girl's attention. Dara smiles at her. "Maybe he's just having a rough day."

The girl doesn't say anything at first and just stares at her with narrowed eyes. Finally, she opens . "You're... Park Sandara... aren't you?"

Dara blinks and nods her head. "Um yes, I am."

The girl only nods her head. "I'm Kim Taeyeon." She offers her hand for a handshake, as though the topic Dara had just opened is something she refuses to acknowledge. Awkwardly, Dara accepts her hand to which Taeyeon smiles. "And if I ever see you near Jiyong oppa again... I will cut you." And with that, Taeyeon closes her packed lunch and leaves the scene; leaving Dara utterly dumbfounded by her words.

Wow... That escalated quickly.