Decision Made

Running from the Dreams
Please log in to read the full chapter

Everyone went their separate ways after the meal. Gary went on the computer to participate in an online Leessang fan chat that Gil had scheduled. Ji Hyo walked down the beach, still trying to sort out her feelings. And Jong Kook exercised in his home gym, overworking his stiff muscles but continuing to push himself anyway.

Because the adults hadn’t seemed interested in playing after they ate, Sun Marie played alone in her room, making her two teddy bears act the part of king and queen, and adding a third teddy bear into the mix as the commander. Kaimana had just finished gathering up Gary and Ji Hyo’s laundry and now went into Sun Marie’s room to collect any clothes that she might have. She saw the girl playing on the floor.

Sun Marie had stacked a few books on the round pink area rug and had positioned two teddy bears in seated positions atop the stack. Kaimana assumed that these two bears were the king and queen. She watched as Sun Marie held the third bear in her hands, making it slowly approach the seated royalty.

“I am Commander Teddy,” Sun Marie said. “And I am in love with the Sad Queen.”

Sun Marie then made one of the seated teddy bears stand. “No, I am the King. And you can’t have my Sad Queen. She is mine.”

Kaimana sighed and left Sun Marie’s room.

She didn’t have any chores to do in the exercise room – Jong Kook always wiped off the equipment himself after he used it – and so she really didn’t have an excuse to come see him. But she went there anyway, wanting to check on him.

Jong Kook smiled when he saw her. “Ai, Kaimana, you here to work out?”

Kaimana teasingly scoffed. “Mr. Kim, when have you ever known me to do such a thing?”

He laughed. “So, if you’re not here to exercise, then what’s up?”

Kaimana took a deep breath. She didn’t want to interfere in his affairs, but she already felt involved. “About what your daughter asked in the kitchen…” she said. “Do you know how long Ms. Song and Mr. Kang will be staying?”

He turned away and grabbed a dumbbell from the rack, curling it now to work out his bicep. “I don’t know,” he said. “I guess it’s up to them.” He switched arms now, balancing out the reps.

“Okay,” she said.

She was about to turn around and walk away when he asked her if she had something else in mind that she wanted to talk with him about. “Is everything okay?” he asked.

“I wanted to ask you that same question,” she said. “But I don’t want to impose. It is not my business.”

Jong Kook put down the dumbbell and sighed. “Kaimana, you are family. You are like a mother to Sunny. Please, always tell me what you are thinking.”

“I am just worried about you, Mr. Kim,” she said. “I understand the situation with the guests to be… a bit strange.”

Jong Kook nodded. “Yeah, it’s–” He didn’t know what to say. “It’s confusing. I don’t know how much you know about what’s going on…”

“I think I understand,” Kaimana said. “I think I understand everything.”

Jong Kook nodded. “I thought you might.” He grabbed a towel and wiped the sweat from his brow. “Ji Hyo, she is… she might be feeling something for me. Yeah, I don’t know. Maybe I feel something, too. I just… I’ve been trying not to think about it much.”

“I see. Because of Mr. Kang?”

“That, yeah. And it’s just so soon,” he said, “so soon after…” He left his voice trail off. “When I woke up on the floor earlier, you asked me what the answer to my dream was. What did you really mean by that?”

“In the olden days,” she said, “we relied on our dreams to guide us, to give us answers. I was asking what answer you found in the dream.”

Jong Kook looked down and sighed. “I’ve been dreaming about her, Kaimana. About Jennifer. But that last dream, something was different. It didn’t feel like a dream.”

“What did she tell you, Mr. Kim?”

“This will probably sound crazy…” He looked down at the towel in his hands, embarrassed to look Kiamana in th

Please log in to read the full chapter