Awkward

Colonel Wu
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Yifan was vexed. He had never, ever thought of Chanyeol to be someone he’d want to screw senseless; but lately, the thought doesn’t seem to disturb him as much as before. Their lessons still continued and Chanyeol was still as clingy as ever; the only difference now is that every once in a while Yifan would find himself staring at something he’d never catch himself staring before – strange areas of Chanyeol’s body like the shell of his ear, or the corner of his mouth or...

Yifan blinked and looked away. He had just caught himself staring at Chanyeol’s collar area. He mentally fussed at how Chanyeol wore his uniform wrong hence the exposed patch of skin, but the younger male didn’t seem to be aware of it.

“Ha...” Yifan sighed. He shouldn’t have done this in the first place. He shouldn’t have listened to that old, erted senior. If he had just kicked Chanyeol out the first time, then he wouldn’t be feeling so troubled over silly things.

The young recruit, unaware of the senior officer’s dilemma, noticed his tired look, “Um, are you all right, Daeryeong?”

Yifan, who was rubbing his temple, turned blankly towards him. “Huh? Oh, yes. I’m fine.”

Chanyeol shifted uncomfortably in his seat and half-turned towards the elder. Yifan wished he hadn’t done that. Now that godforsaken collar area was right in his line of sight. Yifan coolly looked away, trying not to make it obvious that he was bothered by Chanyeol’s neck area.

Jesus, calm yourself, Yifan. You’re better than this. Yifan scolded himself in his thoughts.

“Daeryeong,” Chanyeol called out, earning his attention again. “If you’re tired, we can stop early. I... I don’t want to put any more trouble on you.”

“...” Yifan found himself turning to face the young man. Well, it was only proper etiquette to look at the person you’re talking to. “It’s fine, Chanyeol.” And his chest squeezed. It’s not like it was the first time he was calling the recruit by his name, but lately, it seemed to make his chest squeeze every now and then.

“But...”

“I’m not too troubled by this.” Yifan brushed the topic aside, “It’s just that, I’ve had a lot on my mind lately, but that’s my problem so there is no need for you to worry.”

Chanyeol’s mouth hung slightly open and Yifan would’ve scolded him by now for it but he didn’t.

“What is it?” He found himself asking, curious as to why the recruit reacted this way.

Chanyeol looked down at his hands and a tinge of pink crossed his cheeks. “.......” He had mumbled something but Yifan couldn’t catch it.

“What did you say?” Yifan asked again, leaning a little forward.

Chanyeol shot his head up that Yifan almost had a heart attack. Their faces were so close but Chanyeol seemed to be unaware of that, “Daeryeong! I’d be happy to listen to your troubles!” He barked.

Yifan’s eyes were slightly wider than normal and for a good minute or so; he was just staring back at Chanyeol’s brown orbs. Then, his eyes slid down to that exposed patch of skin – Chanyeol’s collar area. “Ah... e-er....” Yifan surprised himself that he was stuttering. He pulled back quickly and scratched the back of his neck. “N-No.... y-you don’t have to...”

“But I want to help you in any way that I can!” Chanyeol insisted, completely oblivious to Yifan’s growing uneasiness. “I promise I won’t tell anybody what you tell me!”

“It’s not that—“

“I...!” Chanyeol added quickly before Yifan could finish, hoping to change his mind. “I just think that if you tell me, maybe it’ll help make you feel better...” Chanyeol finished softly and Yifan glanced away, his chest squeezing strangely.

“I’ll be all right, Chanyeol.” He mumbled softly and Chanyeol looked at him. The young recruit sighed at the elder’s lack of eye contact but he knew he shouldn’t press any further. He might get kicked out and he had worked so hard to get this close to his admired officer.

Chanyeol lowered his head and nodded solemnly, “I understand. I’m sorry for bothering you about it.”

Then, silence. An awkward silence. Yifan could hardly believe it. They’ve never had this awkward silence before, especially since Chanyeol’s always had something to say to him. Had he hurt Chanyeol’s feelings by rejecting his help? No, the young recruit can’t be that shallow right?

This isn’t high school. This is the army. Yifan chanted in his head as he stole a quick glance at the male whose eyes hung low, not looking back at him. But then again, Chanyeol was much younger, probably still in his teens – eighteen, perhaps? And that was when it hit him – he hardly knew anything about Chanyeol other than the fact that he’s always wanted Yifan to be his mentor.

Still, he felt no obligation to ask him for anything personal. He settled to end the lesson early since the awkward silence continued to linger on. Both men fixed up their things and silently left the west boardroom, heading towards opposite ends of the hall – one heading for the barracks and the other to the senior officers’ lounge.

 

“Earth to Chanyeol,” His friend waved a hand over the young recruit’s face. “Hello? Are you alive? Everything all right?”

“Leave me alone.” Chanyeol sulked, burying his head in his arms as they sat on one of the long, wooden tables for lunch. “I think I may have just done the most terrible thing ever.”

“What?” His friend made a face, not sounding too concerned.

Chanyeol shot his head up and glared before frowning and looking like a lost pup, “I think the Daeryeong hates me.”

“....” His friend pressed his lips tight before he shrugged, “I thought he already did.”

“You’re not helping!” Chanyeol threw his bread at him, which he quickly caught. “Wh-What am I going to do? What if he doesn’t like me anymore? What if it’s all over?”

“Then get a new one.” His friend shrugged again. Chanyeol was about to retort when his friend’s eyes caught somewhere else. Chanyeol blinked and turned around, only to see the Junwi (Warrant Officer) that his friend got as his mentor. The elder gave a knowing smile directed to Chanyeol’s friend before turning away to the rest of his company. Chanyeol wondered what that was all about and got his answer when he turned back to continue disclosing his problems.

His friend sighed, almost too dreamily, at nothing in particular. The bread Chanyeol threw at him still in his hand as he gazed at it like it was something more than bread, “Sorry, what were you saying?”

“.... Are you all right?” Chanyeol croaked.

“Of course I am.” His friend smiled, “In fact, I’ve never been better. Why do you ask?”

“No... you just... you look a little...” Chanyeol started to feel uncomfortable for some strange reason. He’s never seen his friend like this before. There was almost this radiant aura around him. “Wh-What did the two of you do?”

“Hm?” His friend raised an eyebrow. “Who? Him and me?” He pointed with the bread at the Junwi now seated with the rest of his comrades and then back at himself. Chanyeol nodded slowly. “Nothing in particular. Just... you know... stuff.”

Chanyeol already had a vague idea what that stuff was, but he still felt like asking. “Wh-Why?”

“What do you mean why?”

“I-I mean...” Chanyeol leaned closer, almost ashamed and embarrassed. “I-Is that thing... necessary? Is it... compulsory?”

“....” His friend gawked at him before he suddenly burst out laughing, “Wh-What?! Chanyeol! A-Are you seriously asking me that?! Oh my god!”

Chanyeol flushed beet red. He knew this whole mentor-student thing included that. It’s almost tradition... or some kind of given code to test your manliness. But still, he was embarrassed. He had never done it before and having to do it the first time with a man was an entirely different story. To add to that, even though he had known about that tradition, he had never once thought of it every time he’d ask Yifan to be his mentor. He had just wanted the guy to take him under his wing.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter