Final

Hot Mess

", why am I even here?" Baekhyun curses as he stands in line, together with some crazy fans, in a fan sign event. His eyes wanders towards the stage, looking for his friend-slash-enemy, Park Chanyeol. People are  bumping into him and  pushing him around. The stench of sweat from the packed venue makes Baekhyun want to puke his lunch out.

 

He finds Chanyeol sitting on the far end of the table, smiling gloriously, at a beautiful, young fan girl. The way Chanyeol's dark brown eyes crinkle and his cheeks lifted, makes Baekhyun want to throw a tantrum and flip tables. Seriously, he wants to run up the stage and pull the girl's hair off of her head.

 

Alarmed by his sudden train of thoughts, Baekhyun slaps his cheeks. Just where did that violent streak of unnecessary emotions come from?

 

He looks at the album in his hands, sweat trickling on the sides of his face. "Hot Mess", the album says. Baekhyun huffs and opens the album, looking for Chanyeol's picture. When he finds it, he rips it out without any second thought, and fans himself with it. Baekhyun is still annoyed, with the hardship he is going through, or maybe the fan girl. He doesn't know. Really. He doesn't.

 

----

(flashback)

 

It's a hot Sunday morning, the middle of summer, sun high up in the sky, ruthless as it beams down on the land. Baekhyun locks himself inside his air-conditioned apartment, watching romantic movies. He enjoys himself studying the characters, wishing to have the same love story as them. Suddenly, somebody knocks on his door.

 

He peeks, not fully opening the door yet, and rolls his eyes. Park Chanyeol, the next door rock star hottie who is Baekhyun's frenemy since the day they laid eyes on each other, was there, grinning from ear-to-ear. 

 

"Ah, what a pleasant surprise!" Baekhyun's sarcastic voice makes Chanyeol cringe. Opening the door wider, he lets the tall guy enter his abode.

 

"Well, i just thought i have to visit you more often, because the ahjummas downstairs are starting to think your a drug-dependent young man for always locking yourself in here. If they see me here, it might lessen the suspicion but i don't think your name will be cleaned." Chanyeol explains, going straight to Baekhyun's kitchen, grabbing a can of soda from the refrigerator.

 

"Conceited ," Baekhyun murmurs, glaring at Chanyeol. They fight like cats and dogs but they are comfortable with each other's places. "Thank you for your compliment but I think you need to leave now. I don't want you drinking all of my sodas coz you ain't paying for them."

 

The younger guy takes his place beside Baekhyun on the sofa, flipping the TV's channels with the remote control. "Stop watching those love stories. They'll turn you into an old maid."

 

Baekhyun stays silent, thankful that Chanyeol doesn't listen to him because he likes it when Chanyeol is sitting on his sofa. Chanyeol suits the sofa, Baekhyun thinks.

 

"Do you really hate Hot Mess that much?" Chanyeol asks out of the blue.

 

Baekhyun hears pain in the younger's voice but pretends he doesn't care. Pride is important for him. "Yes."

 

There was a pregnant silence between them. No one speaks. Baekhyun feels like suffocating because the dead air between them is distancing them.

 

"It's going to rain today." Chanyeol breaks the silence.

 

What's up with his random thoughts today? Baekhyun muses.

 

"I don't think so, Dumb-oh."

 

"Oh, it will."

 

"No."

 

"Do you want to bet on it?"

 

Baekhyun raises an eyebrow.

 

"If I win, you have to be at my fan sign event tomorrow and act like a real fan. If you win, I'll stop coming over and raiding your kitchen," Chanyeol says.

 

The second choice is supposed to be favorable to Baekhyun but he doesn't know why he's unhappy about it. Looking out his window, checking for rain clouds, he turns to Chanyeol and says, "Call."

 

The room seems to be brighter when Chanyeol smiles. "Good! Don't forget to bring your umbrella when you come out later." Chanyeol stands and marches towards the door, leaving his can of soda behind.

 

"You wish, Idiot."

 

Baekhyun reclaims his spot on the sofa, letting his movies play again. Sometime into the movie, he loses focus and his mind drifts back to the deal. Crossing his fingers, just for good luck, he turns the channel into the weather center.

 

His jaw drops. 

 

"A low pressure area had been detected South of Busan. Everyone is advised to bring umbrellas as they go out."

 

As if the world is conspiring against him, the bright sun is suddenly covered by dark gray clouds. Rain drop starts to pat on Baekhyun's window, like saying "You are so ed up, Byun Baekhyun."

 

Baekhyun feels like he's got no strength anymore, so he slumps back on the sofa, squeezing his eyes shut, and mentally preparing himself for the worst.

 

♫ Sumgyeo do twinkle eojjeona? Nune hwahk ttwi janha

Beire ssayeo isseodo naneun twinkle tiga na ♫

 

Grabbing his phone, Baekhyun's answers the incoming call, knowing who it is.

 

"I'll drop by to give you a copy of the album. Bbyeong!" Chanyeol is laughing at the end of the line.

 

"Aish~ This jerk. He didn't even let me answer."

 

(end of flashback)

 

----

 

The line is quickly dispersing and Baekhyun feels like dying, as he gets closer and closer to the tables. His stomach is churning in nervousness as he fans himself with Chanyeol's picture.

 

Baekhyun hyperventilates.

 

He never goes out to crowded places because he has this stupid anxiety disorder. His breathing becomes ragged, fanning himself harder. Looking around, he silently asks God to help him, and save him from embarrassment. But everybody's busy, not sparing him a glance. Not even his Park Chanyeol looks at him.

 

Wiping his sweaty palms on his jeans, Baekhyun checks the time, 3:00 pm, meaning he is standing in line for more than an hour now.

 

Just a couple more. Baekhyun says to himself as he the tables become closer and closer to him. He tries to endure the weakness he starts to feel. He can feel his knees buckle as he walks towards Luhan, the other member of Chanyeol's 5-member boy group.

 

Placing his Album in front of Luhan, Baekhyun tries to smile, sweat now soaking his shirt. He opens his mouth to speak but no words comes out of it as he slumps on the floor, blacking out.

 

-----

 

Baekhyun wakes up inside his own room. Wondering how he got there, he lets his eyes roam around and he sees Chanyeol standing by the window.

 

Wanting to get Chanyeol's attention, Baekhyun clears his throat. Chanyeol turns and Baekhyun sees beautiful eyes burning with anger. Their gazes locks as Chanyeol takes hurried steps towards Baekhyun before grabbing the smaller shoulder.

 

"You scared the hell out of me! Why didn't you tell me you had anxiety disorder?! You idiot! Why did you go when you know you can't even handle it?! I was so worried!" Chanyeol rants.

 

Baekhyun keeps his mouth shut. Chanyeol must've been embarrassed in front of s because of what happened.

 

Letting Baekhyun's shoulder go, Chanyeol turns his back on Baekhyun, lifting himself from the bed. He runs his fingers through his hair before placing them on his waist. Sighing, Chanyeol goes back to the windows and  mutters, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for pulling you around like that. And i'm sorry for endangering you, and hurting you in any way. But I want you to know that I only did that because," he sighs again. "Because I want to know how it feels to be adored by you. We only fight when we're together. I wanted to see you looking at me as a man, and not as your loud neighbor. I used the rain as an excuse to bring you there. Taking chances even if I wasn't sure about it. Well, I'm sorry Baekhyun. i just hoped that you might like me too. But it ended like this. really. i'm sorry."

 

Chanyeol starts to march towards the door.

 

Baekhyun's heart races. He stands up and grabs Chanyeol wrist, spinning the giant around and engulfing him in a tight hug, "I'm sorry Chanyeol. I didn't know." Baekhyun draws his breath sharply. " To tell you the truth, I've always like Hot Mess. Really. It was my pride and my stupid disorder that was hindering me from going to your shows. I can only look at you from the television. Honestly, I only push you away because I don't want to get hurt. You are way out of my league. You have a lot of beautiful people surrounding you and my insecurities just got the better of me. And, it made me think that you don't care for me because you're a star. But for all it's worth, I've always loved you, Park Chanyeol."

 

Baekhyun's sniffs and it is only then that he realizes he's crying. He is finally free from the burden of hiding his feelings away from Chanyeol.

 

"That's stupid, Baek. Why would I even be here if I don't care?" Chanyeol now wraps his arms around Baekhyun's small limbs.

 

The brunet sobs and buries his face on Chanyeol's shoulders.

 

Lifting Baekhyun's head, Chanyeol wipes the tears away with his thumb, and leans down to kiss Baekhyun.

 

- fin -

----

Hurraay!! I'm actually trying my hardest not to write angst. 

And guess what?! I didn't turn this into angst. OMG! :) 

Thank you for reading this!!

Please leave me comments. <3