Chapter 1 - The Meeting

Memories of An Angel

It was the first day of winter in the year 2013. Ginny stood in front of the spectacular SM Entertainment building as her eyes scanned the grand exterior of the building. She watched as a group of female crowd around a black van which tried to exit via the side entrance of the building. She tried to make sense of it but she failed. She merely paid her attention back to the documents in her hands and pulled out a card. She walked up to the entrance and placed the card near the sensor. The door slid open and she was allowed into the building.

 

Together with a group of ten other interns, Ginny was given an orientation session and a tour around the building. They were also briefed on their job scopes and what was expected of them. Ginny understood very little about the entertainment industry but the rich experience in the human world as well as the meagre amount of research she has done was able to inform her that in this world, people tend to build good rapport with their colleagues so that they can proceed with their work smoothly. And so, Ginny tried to do the same too.

 

“How long have you been studying Performing Arts?” a girl asked Ginny.

 

“About 2 years.” Ginny replied, and the response from the group of interns left her puzzled. Some of them giggled while some of them were merely in shock.

 

“You mean, you have only been studying for only two years?” a boy asked. Ginny hesitated but nodded anyway.

 

“Wow, you must be really good to get chosen by Korean National University and also by SM Entertainment!” another said.

 

“I guess so.” Ginny replied.

 

The group of interns were given some free time to have their lunch before returning and gathering at the practice room for the remaining half of the orientation. The interns all decided to go to the nearby food place to have their lunch as that place was famous for being visited by trainees from the agencies nearby. Ginny decided to skip lunch and stayed in the company instead. Apart from the fact that Angels do not need to eat to survive, Ginny merely felt sick of the group of human who pass cynical and sarcastic remarks at one another.

 

Ginny was going through the documents given to her by her superior in one of the practice rooms. She flipped the page to the profile of a boyband called Super Junior and she glanced through the members’ profile pictures again. This was her third time going through the document. She already has them memorised by her first time going through it but she just felt like going through it again because she had nothing to do. Just as she was getting bored and was putting away the file, the door of the practice room clicked open and three men walked in.

 

The three men were just as startled as Ginny was, though Ginny did not show it. “Hello.” the first guy greeted.

 

“Hello.” Ginny greeted back as politely as she could. She stood at where she was, not moving an inch, as the three guys paused at the door for a while before proceeding to the center of the room.

 

“Hi.” The second guy said belatedly. It also sounded like a reminder and a questioning statement as to what Ginny was doing there.

 

“Do you know who we are?” the first guy asked again. The second and third guys just stood by his side waiting for an answer.

 

“Well, yes.” Ginny said. She looked at the first male then the second, and the third, “You’re Lee Donghae from the boyband Super Junior. The male next to you is Lee Hyukjae, and the one next to him is Kim Heechul.”

 

The boys were surprised by her attitude and tone. She was prim and proper. Apart from that, she even addressed Eunhyuk as Lee HyukJae. They were not used to such reactions. All they have received so far was excitement or anxiety. Their fans would be excited to meet them and the trainees in their company would most probably be nervous to be in the presence of their great sunbae. And here they are, in front of a girl who knows about them yet shows absolute minimal interest or enthusiasm in them.

 

The first male, Donghae, cleared his throat and broke the awkward silence. “So, what’s your name?”

 

“Jin-Ee.” Ginny replied, still staring boldly straight at them.

 

“And what brings you here?” the second male, Eunhyuk, asked.

 

“I’m an intern here in SM Entertainment.” Ginny replied. Her short and blunt answers kept the boys puzzled.

 

“So, what brings you here? This practice room was supposed to be booked for us.” The third male, Heechul, asked sharply.

 

“I…” Ginny paused. “The interns went out for lunch. I did not feel hungry so I stayed back. But I have nowhere else to go in this building. The room was empty so I thought it was okay to stay here.”

 

“Well, we’re here now and we need to use the room so…” Heechul replied.

 

“Ah hyung, it should be alright for Jin-Ee ssi to stick around. She won’t be bothering us anyway.” Donghae interrupted Heechul.

 

The boy was kind and friendly, just as the document stated. Ginny also observed them whispering to one another. Donghae seemed like he was negotiating with the male named Heechul as Eunhyuk watched. Donghae whispered some more things and Heechul seemed to nod.

 

“You can stay here while we practise.” The male Donghae said, with a toothpaste commercial smile.