---/ 1 /

Euonymus

“Ahn, carry that in the back!”

The blond complied with his boss’ orders. He stacked the empty boxes and carried them away. The shop was bustling with last minute customers which took their time. It irked almost everybody. 

Almost.

Daniel had nothing against staying a couple of more minutes before they’d close, clean around and pack everything for another day. Truth be told, it was one of those moments when he’d rather do anything possible to make time run faster. Weeks passed since someone close to his heart embarked on a national tour. Daniel would silently part from time to time from his colleagues and use his break to search for any piece of information on the other. As the orchestra’s main violinist, there should be something online. He bit his lower lip and took out his mobile phone. The screen lit and Daniel’s heart skipped a beat when an icon told he had an unread message. He pressed it and joy filled him when he saw from who it was.

For an outsider, he looked like a hyperactive kid who was jumping on spot with the phone close to his heart and the biggest smile anybody could give. He put the phone back in the safety of his pockets and returned to the counter, serving every customer with the same happiness spreading like a disease. Some were flustered, some answered with giggles, while the rest were either indifferent or labeled him as overreacting. Truth be told, Daniel’s reaction was genuine. Work flew after news that good.

“Ya,” the boss motioned for the blond to come closer. He took a few steps towards the woman and waited for her question. “Are you going to work on Christmas too?”

“Actually,” Daniel replied without hesitation as he tried to keep the corners of his mouth down “I can’t. Is that alright?”

The woman sighed and waved her hand in defeat.

“Fine, fine,” she nodded and patted the boy's back “you’re too cute anyway, go to your girlfriend.”

“But I don’t---”

“Hah!” she pointed at the blond and winked “I saw you earlier and that’s how someone in love acts.”

Daniel couldn’t hold it anymore.

“I guess so,” he chuckled “but I really don’t have a girlfriend.”

“Oh shoot!” she exclaimed and snapped her fingers. “I just lost a bet with the Thursday girl. What was her name...?”

“Yerin?”

“Yeah, I guess. Whatever~” she shrugged and took a broom out from the closet “Go do your thing, I’ll deal with everything else.”

Daniel grabbed the broom and chuckled again. “Sure thing.”

 

---

 

Daniel buttoned his winter coat, wrapped the red scarf around his neck and pulled down his head a knitted hat. He rushed to the exit and stopped midway. Had he locked the bathroom door? Had he put the supplies back on their rack? Were all the lights turned off? He slowly peeked inside and frowned. It wasn’t his duty that evening, so he shouldn’t have to worry about it. For once, he had to be selfish and leave the cranky lady do the after job program alone. The blond pushed the door open and stepped over the snow.

No, Daniel didn’t have a girlfriend. But he did have a handsome boyfriend who waited in front of the shop with that cheeky grin and cute little dimple. It was a secret they shared with nobody.

“Hey there stranger!” he cheered and Daniel didn’t give him the pleasure of an embrace. He covered his face and thought twice before formulating his own greeting.

“Hey there Dr. Jekyll,” Henry gave him a weird look.

“Oh c’mon! Don’t compare me with that nut job!”

“But you do share the same first name,” Daniel argued with a stern voice. Henry came closer and grabbed his hand.

“What are you insinuating?”

Daniel gazed around before he leaned forward and whispered over Henry’s lips.

“You turn into another person at night.”

Henry smacked the blond over his arm as they loudly laughed. Passersby would consider them best friends or brothers, nothing as condemned as what they were living.

“Come,” Henry urged the blond as he hopped his way behind Daniel. He placed both his hands over his shoulders and pushed him. “Let’s get some mulled wine!”

“But I want ice-cream!” Daniel protested as he let himself be conducted by Henry. “Or chestnuts!”

“Ah, let’s just get a drink, it’s so cold!” Henry reappeared at Daniel’s side and they touched fingers for a few seconds before both let go. They bursted into another all-knowing chuckle.

“Soju?”

“Deal!” Henry’s face brightened up.

And Daniel couldn’t help laugh some more. That crystalline sound was like heaven to the violinist.

 

 

---

 

Henry wished they’d be alone, confined again in their bedroom, where nobody can judge them, nobody can break them apart and most importantly, nobody can get in between as they were too close to each other for a fissure to appear.

For the moment, they’d have to talk under the influence of alcohol and Daniel could once more pay more attention to the way Henry’s lips moved and the way his eyes closed with delight. He’d paint a story for Daniel, to put him in the middle of everything Henry experienced. And when Daniel would fix himself on that world, Henry would gently admire Daniel’s longer hair, the way he on his lips to moisten them and how he slightly titled his head always to Henry’s left.

Those tiny details made the difference in their relationship. It didn’t matter that they couldn’t afford the moon, couldn’t eat at fancy restaurants or change their worn-out shoes. They only need one another to survive and that couldn’t be replaced with money or any material possession.

Daniel knew they had enough when he shook the small bottle and found it out of liquid. Henry knew the way back home would be just as merry with their white surroundings.

They sketched their battle plans in mind and before they had reached their place, Daniel and Henry each formed snowballs and started the war. Henry gained an advantage when the blond lost his balance. The violinist caught him before he’d land on the frozen ground and pulled him at his chest. A magical moment or not, Henry rubbed over Daniel’s face a good amount of snow.

Daniel spit some out and promptly buried the other in earth’s natural blanket.

Soaked and quivering from their childish acts, each discarded their clothes and sought a shower’s soothing call.

“Don’t get a haircut,” Henry’s voice startled the blond who was checking the water’s temperature.

“Why not?” he questioned and turned to the other. Henry grabbed his head and softly gave him a peck.

“I love your fluffy hair,” he brushed it with his fingers. Daniel did the same, only to grab a handful of Henry’s curly locks.

“Liar,” he accused “you only need something to grab onto when I you.”

Henry fell silent.

“You know that’s not true.”

“Bad joke?” Daniel tried to remediate the situation. Henry nodded. “Sorry,” Daniel pouted. “Forgive me?”

Henry smirked and cupped Daniel’s chin.

“Make up for it.”

Daniel shoved him away.

“ert.”