Chapter 3

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER

 

Jang Mi has some sort of tug-o-war inside her. Is she going inside the building or not? She thought. She’s been sitting inside her car for an hour already yet she’s still undecided. She then grabbed her phone and looked up to some numbers there. She then found the number she thought of calling. She heard it rang, and so she felt thankful it wasn’t changed for the last 3 years.
“Yoboseyo?”, the voice from the other phone said.
“Sungmina?”
“Ye.”
“Sungmina, this is Jang Mi.”
“Jang Mi! When did you arrive? Where are you now?”
“I just arrived yesterday. I thought of seeing you guys.”
“Uh, have you heard the news already?”
“Yeah, I know. I already visited Min Ah yesterday.”
“I see. Yah! You have a lot to catch up to! You’ve been gone for so long.”
“I know. Actually I’m here at SM. Where are you guys now? Do you have schedules?”
“Yeah, we have. We’re having a rehearsal here at KBS. You said you’re at SM? Donghae’s there! Have you seen him already?”
“Uhm, not yet. I think I really have to see him too. Thanks oppa. Call me when you’re already free so we could hang out. I miss you guys already.”

She then hang up. Sungmin became their friend because of Donghae. Even before they debuted, Jang Mi already met most of Donghae’s friends from SM.

So he’s here, I was right.
She then went out of her car and went inside the building and looked around to see if Donghae’s just somewhere.
She felt her hands a bit cold. She’s starting to become nervous.
It’s been three years. What would I say to him?

She approached the receptionist and asked if Donghae is inside the building and if she could see him. After a series of questions, ID checks and phone calls, the lady receptionist told her to wait at the couch adjacent to the reception area.
She sat on the couch. She also needs to rest her knees because she feels so weak already due to nervousness.

What would I say to him? ‘Uh, Hi oppa. I came here to fulfill Min Ah’s last wishes. Is it fine with you?’ Urgh… what the hell is happening with me? I can’t think well.

When she looked at her watch, she realized that she’s already more than an hour waiting for Donghae. She approached the receptionist and asked her if Donghae’s still coming.
“Donghae is having a meeting with Mr. LSM. He’s already informed that you are here at the lobby waiting. Please wait for a little longer.”
She thanked the receptionist and sat down again.
Another hour came, still there’s no sign of Donghae coming. She then decided to leave.

I think he’s not interested seeing me again. I’m just wasting time here.
She then went back to her car. And just as she opened her car’s door, she heard somebody calling her name.

“We’ve waited for three years, why can’t you wait for two hours?”, that somebody spoke.

She felt her heart beat crazily just hearing that familiar voice. She then closed her eyes for a moment so to calm her down. She then turned around to see that person who called her.
It’s him!

She was so happy inside but she held herself not to show too much emotion.
He gained weight. He’s not the old skinny boy she knew. He’s just wearing a t-shirt and pants with some of his hair tied on a pony tail but still he looked so good. He gave a very sweet smile. He heart just stopped beating. She gave back a soft smile. She then tried to calm herself down because she started to feel like crying again.

Donghae walked closer to her.

“Hi.” She said.
“Is that all you could say after 3 years?”

She smiled.

“I’m sorry, I already thought of leaving because I have somewhere else to go.”

But instead of saying anything, Donghae just embraced her tightly.
She was speechless. She was so tempted to embrace him back. But she just stopped herself.

“Where have you been?”, Donghae asked.
“I’m sorry that I wasn’t here when she died.”

He then released her. His sweet smile is now mixed with bitterness.

“It was so hard seeing her suffer like that. It kept on repeating at night and it made me sleepless just thinking about her.”

But even though how hard she tries to understand Donghae’s feelings, she still have some little part that’s feels ache.

He loves her so much. Even now that she’s gone, I still can’t compete to her.

“Are you fine now?” she asked Donghae.
“I think, I’m better. I’m so happy to see you.”
“I just came to say hi. I just wanted to check how my friends are doing. I haven’t seen you for a long time.”
“How about going out tonight?”, Donghae asked.
Her heart skipped a beat again.
“…with our friends and my band members.”
She then felt a relief after hearing those last few words from him.
“Uh, okay. Why not. I heard you were doing great already. And very famous too. Who don’t want to hang out with Superstars?
Donghae laughed at what she said.
“I’m still the old Donghae you knew three years ago. In haven’t changed a bit. The old Donghae you knew three years ago is the same Donghae you are talking to right now. Only a little better.”
They both laughed at what he said.
She then bid goodbye to Donghae. She felt better. She never thought of ending the conversation with him that way.

He didn’t changed a bit he said. Of course you didn’t. How you feel for her. How you treated me as a friend. It’s all the same. You're still in love with her. Why can’t I settle on that truth?

She then drove back home to rest. She lost so much energy after seeing Donghae.
And later tonight, I’m gonna see him again.
She then prepared for her dinner tonight with them. She also prepared the gifts she bought from the Philippines for her friends.

Then her phone rang.
“Yoboseyo?”
“Jang Mi!!!”
She knew the owner of that voice. It’s so familiar that even if it’s been three years, she still could recognize it.
“HyukJae?”
“Yah! I missed you! Why didn’t you call me when you arrived yesterday? Why did you call Sungmin first? You’re not my friend anymore!”
She laughed with what Hyuk Jae said.
“Hyuk Jae! I mean Eunhyuk, the famous Super Junior gem… it doesn’t mean that now that you’re famous you can drop your friends already!”
They were both laughing.
“You’re still silly until now. I have gifts for you guys!” Jang Mi said after their done laughing.
“Really? I’m so excited! We’re bringing our girlfriends so you’ll meet them too.”
“Yah! Careful with the paparazzis, your GF’s lives are at stake.”, she jokingly said.
“We sure will.”
She’s so happy hearing HyukJae’s voice. He’s been one of her closest friend too.
And they have girlfriends? How could they manage to do that?