four

The Blackbird's Crown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqfzvpiVrtA

After eating a hearty breakfast made by Alfred that consisted of eggs and sausages, Jinyoung and Alfred left for school. For five years straight, Jinyoung had been eating eggs for breakfast every day. Alfred believed that eggs were brain food, and it would help him function in class.

Although for Jinyoung it had no such effect. If anything, all it did was make him hungrier.

The snow had fallen and it created a blanket of white in the city. Luckily for Jinyoung, he didn’t have to suffer by waiting in the cold for the bus. Alfred drove him to school every day and picked him up after.

Alfred rolled up at the curve and pressed the brake with his foot. “See you later,” he said. “Pay attention in class, alright?”

Jinyoung fixed his scarf and then smirked at his nanny. “Don’t I always?” He saluted Alfred in a playful manner before getting out of the car. He could see Alfred’s grimace without needing to look back.

The sound of the car driving away, made Jinyoung pause in his steps. He turned back for a moment before letting out a sigh. He looked back in front of him to see the big school in front of him.

St. Paul’s all boys school. Jinyoung hated school. And it was worse that his sister had forced him to come to an ALL boy school. The boys here with their accents and grim facial features made him dread coming to school every day. It was bad enough Jinyoung didn’t have the etiquette of an English boy, but the accent thing really threw him off.

His English was a lot better now than it was five years ago, but it was still pretty bad. Any time he tried to speak in English, the people in his class would laugh. The other Asians in his class all spoke with proper British accents, while he struggled to speak at all.

But it didn’t bother him. Not even when his classmates called him a ponsey.

Just as Jinyoung was about to make his entrance through the door, a deep voice from behind him pulled him back.

“Yo, ponsey sap, on your way to class? Afraid to be tardy, huh?”

Jinyoung knew the person was talking to him. He turned around and smiled at the person. He knew this person very well.

Since day one, this person had picked on Jinyoung. It was a brown boy. Jinyoung didn’t know it then, but now he knew. Apparently, London had undergone a change of leadership in the school system in regards to students. People now call London, “Londonstani”. These boys are known as “rudeboys” and Jinyoung thought the name was quite funny.

“Why are you asking? You gonna miss me during class?” Jinyoung joked.

Flanked beside him, the brown boy had three other boys by his side. He and his crew cracked up a bit at Jinyoung’s audacity. “You think you’re a joker, huh? Shut up boy.”

Jinyoung shrugged with a goofy smile. “Whatever man.”

“It’s funny, ain’t it? This boy has been here for so long but his English ain’t no better than ours.”

At least my grammar and GPA is better than yours. Jinyoung thinks in his head. Not wanting to cause any trouble this early in the morning, Jinyoung told him to have a good day and turned around.

“They say international students like him are dripping with gold but where his chains at?” Jinyoung heard one of the boy asked the leader, Ravinder.

“He a fake, innit?” asked another.

Jinyoung ignored them and walked through the door. What Jinyoung had learned was that, Asians were trying to establish power over the whites. He had no desire in joining them whatsoever. He wanted to live as peacefully as he could. If he got into any more trouble, Hyosung was definitely going to scrape his guts out.

The day in school usually passes by slow. Jinyoung slept in class and when he wasn’t sleeping, he roamed the school with a hall pass like a dazed corpse. He knew his sister sent him here as torture; to realize that nothing worth having comes easy.

But could she at least sent him to a more prestigious school? Somewhere where boys like Ravinder don’t exist? Does that place even exist?

In this school, Jinyoung had only talked to one person. He wasn’t necessarily Jinyoung’s friend, but he was someone that sat with Jinyoung during lunch. He was a year older, but he looked like he was only in the ninth grade.

George was his name. Jinyoung didn’t know his last name. George had thick glasses, blonde hair that was always messy, and he was extremely scrawny. If you think Jinyoung was skinny, you haven’t seen George yet. He was also very stocky. He stayed back a year for lacking some credits, despite his geeky exterior.

George was nice. He liked Dragon ball Z. He always talked about it to Jinyoung in his posh accent. Jinyoung didn’t watch much TV and he didn’t know much about Dragon ball Z, he only suspected George talked to him about it because he was Asian and he came straight from Seoul, and of course, all Asians must know about the heritage of manga and anime.

George talked. Jinyoung made jokes. They made a strange duo. 

Back in Seoul, Jinyoung was used to people fawning over him. He enjoyed the way girls swooned over him and how the boys respected him. People wanted to know about his life, and it was suffocating, but it was a good type of suffocation.

Here, nobody cared for his attention. Except for George. Jinyoung never thought he could be mates with someone like him, considering the difference in looks. It wasn’t because Jinyoung was racist, no he was nowhere near that. It was just that George was kind of lacking in the physical attraction department.

But what with being in all boy school, and having no one know of him, it’s good to have at least one ally—if George can even be considered that.

Today George talked about sushi, told Jinyoung about all the perks of the raw diet.

Jinyoung doesn’t like sushi. So he said, “I got worms once from it, it infected me from head to toe. Foam came out of my mouth, I thought I was going to die. Pink stuff came out too, it could have been my guts.” It was a joke, but George turned green from the description.

“That’s bloody disgusting mate,” was George’s response.

He couldn’t even finish his ham sandwich after that.