five

The Blackbird's Crown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e90-LCsTCIM

Jinyoung’s head bobbed up and down during class. His classmates thought it was very funny, the way his eyelids would open the moment before he fell asleep. His body jerked, and it often made noises when his knees hit the bottom of the desk.

Everyone in the room would howl with laughter. The one person who didn’t find this funny at all was his World History teacher, Mr. Atkinson.

Mr. Atkinson walked up to Jinyoung’s desk. He shook his head in dismay. With crossed arms, he waited for Jinyoung to become aware of his presence. Unfortunately it looked as if that wasn’t going to happen any time soon. Reluctantly, he cleared his throat loudly and tapped on the sleeping boy’s desk. “Ahem,” he said. “Jinyoung Jung, hello, anybody home?”

One eye popped up. Then another. Jinyoung blinked several times, and then let out a big stretch. “Hey Mr. Atkinson.” He glanced around his classroom, seeing the other boys hide in their laughs.

Mr. Atkinson was not one bit amused. “You’ve got some drool on the side of your mouth.”

“Did I? I didn’t realize I fell asleep.” Jinyoung said in a joking manner, and then touching the side of his mouth to where Mr. Atkinson said he had drooled, he felt the wet liquid and chuckled to himself. “May I be excused to the washroom? I think I’ll go clean it off before it dries up and dirty my clear skin.”

At this point, Mr. Atkinson had enough of Jinyoung’s antics. He waved his hands and walked back to the podium. “Anything to keep you awake and away from disturbing the learning environment is fine with me.”

Jinyoung made his way down the long hall. He could hear some teachers lecturing and the sounds of kids writing down in the notebooks, while in other classrooms he could hear students squabbling with another while the teacher tried to calm them down.

Upon entering the washroom, Jinyoung heard a slight ruckus inside. He wondered what was going on. It is known for a fact that some students do gamble inside the washroom, but who gambles on a Monday morning? Curious, Jinyoung leaned his against the door. Since it was made out of cheap wood, it wasn’t hard to capture the conversation.

“I have money, I will give you money. Please, just don’t take my games away from me,” begged a boy with a high voice.

There was a pause.

“Who da fok brings a game console to school? You think you a real life Ash Ketchum or sumthin?”

“This boy thinks he sumthin. His Ma brown, but she talks like she from here. I hate that . My ma always telling me about his fam too, worst of our kinds.”

The slang and bad grammar was so easy to catch, it didn’t Jinyoung more than a second after hearing it to know it was Ravinder and his crew.

“R-right?” Replied the boy nervously. “I learned my lesson, I won’t b-bring it to school anymore. I- NO!”

There was a smash and a bang inside. Jinyoung thought about going the other direction, but if he turned away now, he knew he would feel bad for turning away during a moment like this. Since he overheard everything, he now felt responsible for the safety of the kid.

Jinyoung grimaced and squeezed his hands into a fist. He hesitated for a moment at the door before barging in.

“LEAVE HIM ALONE,” screamed Jinyoung. He ran over to the kid and stretched his arm out. On the floor was a smashed up Nintendo 3DS. He only glimpsed at the boy he was protecting for a moment. In truth, he was another brown kid, and it made no sense to Jinyoung why Ravinder had to bully his own kind.

“Wha you think you doin? This boy mad?” One of Ravinders friend said.

“He think he superman, saving another boy. That kinda gay innit?” Another boy said. Ravinder cracked up. “Who you think you tryna be Asian boy?”

Jinyoung rolled his eyes. “I’m not trying to be anything. I’m just trying to help calm the situation.” He looked behind him at the  boy. He looked like a freshman, new and vulnerable, just like Ravinder likes them.

“Ain’t nobody need yo help,” replied Ravinder with a sneer. “So git the fok out.” He raised his fist high and mighty at Jinyoung.

Jinyoung flinched as his mouth widened. “Whoa, don’t do that.  You are going to regret hitting me. Okay, relax.” Now Jinyoung could act brave all he wanted, but when it was him against Ravinder, there was no way he could beat Ravinder. That boy was three times Jinyoung’s size, with muscles and fat coming from all sorts of areas, who knew what a simple punch could do.

It only took a second but Jinyoung remembered about how much money he had in his jacket pocket. He slipped his hand in there and when it was out again, there was a wad of crisp hundred dollar bills binded by a rubber a band. He threw it right at Ravinder, “This is payment, innit?” he faked their bad accent and dragged the other boy out.

Ravinder and his crew were at lost for words as to how someone like Jinyoung could have that much amount of money. His first instinct was to rob the crap out of him, because Jinyoung was bound to have more than just that, but he was so shocked by the large sum of money that was just thrown at him he ogled the paper in his hands.

Jinyoung and the boy left the washroom. The poor boy was so shocked he couldn’t even bring himself to utter a single word. Jinyoung let him go once they turned the corner of the hallway. Reaching in his pocket, he threw another stack of hundreds to the boy. “Here take this and buy yourself a new console.”

The boy caught it clumsily in his hands, his jaw threatening to drop.

“T-Thank you!” He called.

Jinyoung shrugged nonchalantly, forgetting that he needed to use the washroom. He walked back into class, with a wide stretch from his arms and sat back down with his head against the table.

Mr. Atkinson looked straight at the sleeping boy and shook his head, offering no say to the boy who appears to have no goals and dreams in life.