does the elephant have a name?

does the elephant have a name?

This was crazy; they were coworkers, friends even. What they had done the previous night was just a spur of the moment thing. It was simply a drunken one night stand.

Though with all things considered, maybe a few sips of beer over dinner wasn’t considered “drunk” and maybe if they were in their right minds they could have been considered sober. But of course knowing their own reputations neither Nana or Lu Han say anything.

They didn’t get away with it for long, the piercing cold gazes of Kahi and Jungah making the entire situation unavoidable. Their looks of utter disappointment stabbed Nana’s heart, but the funny thing was that she didn’t even feel an ounce of guilt. The persona of not caring would have been perfect, if not for her fidgeting fingers.

The two of them still don’t talk, and it is rather convenient since now that Exo M is promoting in China which makes it certain that he’ll be busy and well, ever since After School’s Japanese promotions wrapped up she hasn’t had much to do.


“You know you might as well be in those teaser photos, right?”

“And your point is?”

“It’s not very attractive, if you ask me.”

“That wasn’t what you were saying that one night.”

“Well I still have your ity.”

“Hey now, that was completely unnecessary.”

“Says the person who keeps making an of himself.”

Lu han’s a quiet person. Always has been and always will be, Nana assumes.



It’s been a while since Nana has seen any trace of him. Two months and three days, to be exact, and she can’t help but feel on edge when every noise and movement makes her jump a little. Lizzy thinks she’s crazy, and maybe she is.

She still has the bad habit of fidgeting when she’s exceptionally nervous, but this time she happens to have a (his) rubix cube in her hand, the colors faded and the corners of the cube slightly worn down. Nana unconsciously smiles, a finger gently tracing the sides of the object.

Her members don’t berate her anymore because whatever questions they throw at her even she doesn’t know the answers to them.

It’s like a part of her is missing, but she can’t bring herself to accept it.



Even though he’s one of the oldest, no one really takes him seriously. Lu Han’s okay with this though, because he never really has much to say in the first place. If anything, he’ll just smile and wave (because he knows that he’s just eye-candy for the fans.)

Sometimes he finds himself laying awake in bed, meaningless thoughts circulating in his mind and it’s at exactly 3:49AM that he comes to the realization that he’s in love with her.

It’s not the kind of love where you’re completely immersed in heat and passion, but the kind that slowly creeps up upon you and you don’t even realize it’s there until it’s too late.

Lu han kind of wants to punch himself.



Oh. My. God.

Is the first thing Nana thinks of when she sees him in the flesh, nearly four months after that night and she doesn’t really know what to do. It isn’t until his gaze falls upon her, his eyes conveying no emotion and it kind of stabs her heart a little.

He does give her a slight smile and a bow, as customary between sunbaes and hoobaes. Uee gives her a look, her big and round eyes filled with innocent curiosity. Everyone else remains silent, knowing all too well of the current situation.


Nana’s never sure how, or why, it’s even come to this but she’s fairly certain that she would have never imagined that seeing him after this long would be so awkward.

Her eyes continue to stare intently at his face, memorizing everything about him.

The first things she notices is that he hasn’t shaved and that his hair color is different. Lu han looks up to find her observing him and she jumps a little, her composure completely evaporating on the spot.

He retreats slightly into his seat, a bit unnerved as he stares right back at her.

She’s pretty, he concedes to the thought when she flips a few pieces of hair over her shoulder, and he wonders how he could even have a girl like her.

The epitome of a goddess and that is enough for Lu han to stop any attempt of telling her that he loves her (to the point where he can’t function properly without looking at her picture at least once a day.)


He’s strange, Lu han knows this, and it is because of this thought that he has decided that he will never be good enough for Nana and that he’s undeserving of her.


Nana never sees him anymore but Eyoung always seems to have enough time to monitor their activities (My favorite member is Kris. Do you have a favorite, unnie?) She never really knows how to answer that question.


The two of them still talk, that is if you consider a brief conversation littered with formalities “catching up.” He inquires if she’s been well and she asks if he’s eating healthy and getting enough sleep. His answer is always yes, but the bags under his eyes say otherwise.

Lu han misses her. A bit too much to be considered healthy but he’s able to cope with it even if s think it’s rather creepy that he carries her (their) photo inside his wallet. He also has a number of texts in his drafts folder, all addressed to Nana (it’s well past a hundred now, but he could care less.)


Maybe it’s the language barrier between them, or the fact that he’s hundreds of miles away that contributed to their downfall. But in the scheme of things it really isn’t that either.

It’s probably because of the fact that neither of them were ready to undertake such a responsibility and that it’d be easier to let it be.


So love remains completely out of reach for Lu Han and Nana.

But maybe in their next lives, or the ones after that, they can be together.



 

Whatever you do, please don’t forget…