Raindrops

Downpours

Daehyun loved the rain.

 

Something about the atmosphere was so remarkably calming. The gray clouds against the skyline brought a universal peace, a sense of accepted silence. A gentle touch to the window sent a prick of ice through his fingertips, making his breath hitch. He quickly drew back his fingers, returning them to the wooly safe haven that was his sweater pocket. The same slender fingers brushed against a slip of paper inside; Daehyun quickly fished it out, a puzzled look written on his face. 

 

Meet me at the coffee shop.

 

Feeling suddenly flustered, Daehyun turned around in confusion. Doubting his sanity in doing so, the petite brunette quickly found himself speeding down the stairs and through the hotel's lobby, pushing his way out of the revolving doors. His first mistake was setting foot out of the lobby. The rain was now coming down in sheets, sending pedestrians scrambling to get under any form of shelter from the stinging drops. His second mistake was never grabbing a raincoat, or anything else of descent protection from the elements. Hunching his shoulders in an attempt to remain dry and warm, Daehyun quickly made his way down the pavement, keeping an eye out for the small cafe. Shivers racked his body as the frigid gusts of wind pierced his thin sweater, the discomfort urging him to move faster. The slightest whiff of freshly ground coffee suddenly grabbed his attention, making the boy eagerly perk his head up, scanning the streets for the source. His eyes soon laid upon a small cafe wedged between two other shops, and he smiled in relief. Wasting no time crossing the street, Daehyun marvled at how much stronger the smell intensified, momentarily basking in the sweet aroma outside. Feeling his chills return, the he scampered inside, immediately overwhelmed by the warmth and concentrated smell of all things coffee. Hot chocolate, lattes, espressos and fresh pastries behind the glass-- This had to have been heaven. His third mistake was not eating lunch. He felt his stomach growl, his mind suddenly focusing on how tasty everything looked, how good it smelled...

 

A husky voice interupted his thoughts of a bite to eat; "You made it. I was starting to get worried."