No More

Human Logic

Chapter 4: No More

 

Jong Kook didn't know how to react to that statement. Was Ji Hyo being sarcastic? And thought that he was ungentlemanly? Or she simply said that because she was really not a like a fragile girl? What should he do now?

 

He was always terrible at interpreting females’ behavior. His mother had sent him for countless dates like that, only to find that her son had either bored people off with his talk of healthy living or made the girl so angry that they simply stormed away in frustration. In fact, she herself had experienced the torture of Jong Kook's behavior.

 

----

 

"Eomma, did you take your medicines today? What did you have for dinner? Did you make sure you rested enough before going for your evening walk?" Jong Kook questioned his mother the minute he stepped through the door. He didn't want his mother to ask him about the meeting (he preferred not to use the word 'date' because "it wasn't one") with Ji Hyo and her parents. It had been bad enough experiencing everything once and he didn't want to relive the memory.

 

"Yes yes, Jong Kook ah. If you go on interrogating people like this, you will never be able to find yourself a happy wife you know. So how did the meeting with Ji Hyo go? Don't tell me you pissed her off again. From what I know, she seems like quite an easy-going girl." His mother fired back.

 

"Eomma, I'm really tired today. Can we leave the talking to tomorrow? Please?" Jong Kook really didn't want to talk about it. He felt really exhausted.

 

"No. My dear Jong Kook, you are not going to trick me with that again. The last time I allowed you to sleep first, I never got how your date with Eun Hye went. So you better speak up if you want to sleep on your bed tonight."

 

Jong Kook sighed. Oh man, this is going to be a loooong night.

 

"I'm waiting..." His mother started to tap her foot.

 

"Ok ok, fine, you win Eomma. I'll tell you what happened today ok? I just hope you won't laugh at me or doze of in the middle of the story again. It isn't very interesting. Take a seat on the sofa first, let me go get drinks. Chicken milkshake for me and chrysanthemum tea for you?"

 

"Anything is fine Jong Kook, I just want to know how it went today."

 

Eomma's sure to scold me like mad today. I let Ji Hyo drive the car and bored her out. Eek.

 

Jong Kook came out with two glasses of liquid five minutes later and settled onto the sofa.

 

"So?" His mother spoke with a mix of excitement and impatience.

 

Jong Kook cleared his throat and started the long story:

"I didn't know Ji Hyo's address so she offered to drive. And-"

 

"WHAT? Kim Jong Kook, did you really let a female do that? Oh my god." Jong Kook's mother interrupted.

 

"Eomma, I know I did wrong, but listen to the rest of the story before scolding....please." Jong Kook meekly said, trying to delay his punishment. He continued before his mother could say anything else.

 

"And so I was saying on the road it was quiet and awkward and everything like how it usually is when you are sitting with a stranger alone in the car. So I decided to talk to lighten the mood. ("See Eomma, I'm not that bad a guy." He thought silently.) The conversation went like this:

 

I asked her how she felt about Family Outing and whether she found it tough.

 

Ji Hyo: I think Family Outing is fun, most of the people are nice to be around. I wouldn't mind filming another episode, I mean, if the producer doesn't mind.

 

Then I continued asking her about why she found Family Outing fun, since I had nothing else to talk about.

 

Ji Hyo: Kim Jong Kook ssi, I can't really concentrate on driving if you keep asking these questions...

 

And then I was kinda embarrassed so I just shut up like how she wanted me to. She's quite rude and ignorant if you ask me."

 

Jong Kook paused to take a sip of his drink, which gave his panicking mother another chance to interrupt.

 

"Oh noooo! Jong Kook ah, do you really not know anything about the female species? They want to be cared for, not be questioned by like this. And who can you blame when she shuts you up like this when you are talking about work during free hours? You should be glad she didn't shut you up by telling you she wasn't interested in the way the conversation was going!" Mrs Kim shouted in exasperation, trying to control herself not to strangle her son's neck.

 

Jong Kook just kept silent. It wasn't the first time his mother was reacting like this. In fact, out of the 50 girls (he somehow managed to count) he met for a 'blind meeting', he got yelled at by his mother for treating the girl unsatisfactorily 49 times. That one single time he had not been scolded about was the meeting he had with Eun Hye, which he did not tell his mother the details.

 

Mrs. Kim having nothing further to say, started to sip her tea. Jong Kook knew this was the time he ought to continue, from his previous experiences. "Okay Eomma. Have you scolded me enough? Can you promise not to scold or interrupt me while I'm halfway through? Otherwise I will just go to bed. Deal?" He spoke in a firm tone.

 

"Fine. Nothing I say about girls get into your head anyway." Mrs. Kim nodded.

 

"So after a bout of silence, I decided to ask her if she had any idea how we ended up meeting together for this dinner at her house. But we so coincidently asked the same question at the same time. Can you believe that? And anyway, the absurdity of the situation continued because we somehow both answered, "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you knew." And seconds after, again at the same time, we said it was fine. I always thought these coincidences only happened in those romantic comedy dramas..." Jong Kook scrunched his nose, but in his heart he was relieved because he knew his mother would smile at this. He wasn't lying though. He didn't lie to his mother. It had really happened between him and Ji Hyo and he still wondered how it was such a coincidence.

 

Putting it at the back of his mind, Jong Kook continued, “And then it was quiet again until we finally reached her home. I went in and greeted the elders and her mother fawned over me like how you usually do to some guests you invite over for dinner. Her sister was also there and she kept joking around. You should have really seen the dinner there, so unhealthy! Fried stuff and meats, and only one dish of vegetables! Plus her mother kept piling pieces of chicken and I couldn't possibly reject them right? Ugh, I think I'm going to do one more hour of exercise than usual tomorrow morning so I can burn off those calories."

 

"To top it all, her mum made her sit beside me for dinner, and we rose at the same time because we wanted to offer to wash the dishes, and I kind of shoulder-bumped her. It was super awkward especially when her sister went ooh-ing and ahh-ing. And so we ended up washing the dishes together. She apologized for her sister's childish behavior and after that she walked me out after getting pestered at by her mum. And I got back home." Jong Kook finished his long and boring visit.

 

"Hmm...that's all? Really, Jong Kook. I went on the newspapers for nothing? I tell you how you got to meet Miss Ji Hyo sshi. Her mum met me so coincidently at the shopping mall once and she recognised me. I can't even describe how shocked I was, like you know, I'm not even a celebrity but just Jong Kook's mum. She introduced herself as Eun Soo sshi and Ji Hyo sshi's mother and said she saw me on the newspapers before. You know that article, that one that was about you being filial and bringing me on vacation whenever you travel overseas for work? Yea, she recognised me from that low quality picture. So we talked and talked and eventually settled a date for both of you to have dinner. You know I can't cook, and that why you ended up going to her house. Plus a few days later you told me that a Song Ji Hyo sshi is going to be guest on Family Outing so Eun Soo sshi and I decided to only tell you on the day of filming to make it a surprise. That date didn't come easy, dear son." Mrs. Kim expressed her annoyance.

 

"Okayyyy Eomma. You know I don't like these 'meetings' with girls I barely even know. They don't work out. Please Eomma, no more next time! Please?"

 

"Hey Kim Jong Kook! If you don't like them, I promise you, I will never help you again! Don't come and complain to me if you are too lonely! I want to see how long you take to realise life is not all about building muscles and healthy eating! Good night, I can't be bothered to talk to you." Mrs Kim said crossly and pretend-stormed back to her bedroom.


"Yay! Eomma is the...." Jong Kook yawned in the middle of the sentence, "best! I'm also tired. Good night, Eomma! Remember your words!”

 

 

A/N: Hi. I hope this chapter isn't too confusing for you all. >.< Updates for this story will probably be once a week now that I am busier with life. Thanks for reading! And wishing everyone a Happy New Year! ^_^

 

(31/12/13)