Awkwardness

Human Logic

Chapter 3: Awkwardness

 

Ji Hyo felt herself tense up. What the hell did I just do? . How did I come face to face with Kim Jong Kook...? Now what?....Wait, does he know about dinner tonight yet? He should right? Since he is a guest after all. Now, Song Ji Hyo, what sense does that make? Focus on filming for god's sake! How to get away from the awkward situation without making Jong Kook think that you don't wanna interact with him...

 

Her mind worked furiously as she tried to think of a way out. After a few long moments, which Ji Hyo hoped had been shortened for Jong Kook by the commotion Daesung and the rest were creating, she decided to act as if nothing was really going on and continued to tattle on poor Daesung. He was receiving angry glares and somewhat hurtful remarks from his sunbaes for his previous actions. Some stuff Ji Hyo revealed were indirectly offending and insulting them.

 

And it turned out that she needn't have worried. Jong Kook was too busy staring in disbelief at Daesung after Ji Hyo had mentioned something that Daesung had boasted earlier on. Then he basically ignored the fact that Ji Hyo was standing nearly right in front of him, and charged towards a Daesung who was apologizing furiously to his elders.

 


 

"Jong Kookie, want to eat dinner with me and Sooro hyung? I'm having one of my rare break times today and later you have to fetch me home because my manager is not free today and I have no way home." Ji Hyo heard Jae Suk ask.

 

Omo. What if he hates me so much and agrees to Jae Suk sshi then how am I going to explain to Mother? She will think that I purposely did this and grumble at me again... Aish Ji Hyo, wake up. Why will he hate you? You guys barely even talked so how will he hate you? I'm so stupid....Kim Jong Kook, you better not create trouble.

 

"Quick, Kook Jong ah, Sooro hyung has filming 3 hours later at 9 o'clock. Yes or no?"

 

Ji Hyo could see Jong Kook getting a bit flustered. "Hyung, I'm tired today...I think I want to go home and rest. Maybe next time? You can always take a cab home."

 

Oh my god. Does he really not know anything about coming to my house tonight? Don't tell me Mother expected me to invite him?!

 

"Oh, ok then. Rest well, Jong Kook ah. Are you sure you are ok? You usually ask if I have time to spare to eat with you."

 

"Nothing's wrong with me, hyung! I didn't sleep well last night so I'm more tired than usual. Go enjoy dinner with Sooro hyung. Don't worry about me."

 

"Ok then, rest well. Don't over exert yourself at the gym tomorrow." With that, Jae Suk walked over to the car park nearby. There were 2 black vehicles there, one van and a car. The Game Devil's head was poking out of the van window. Sooro waited for Jae Suk to get into the vehicle before speedily driving away.

 

Ji Hyo then realized that meant that only Jong Kook and herself were left on set. The crew had long ago finished packing up the filming equipment and left while the others either had other duties to fulfill or their families to look after and left almost immediately after filming ended. Jong Kook had been held up by Jae Suk and Sooro while Ji Hyo felt that she should wait for Jong Kook because…well, they were supposed to go together after all, right?

 

Right now Ji Hyo didn't know what to do. She wasn't sure whether Jong Kook declined Jae Suk's invite because he knew about the dinner date with Ji Hyo or because he was really tired. The silence between the two of them was getting uncomfortable. She stared at the black van that became smaller and smaller until it disappeared entirely from her view.

 

Does he know? Am I supposed to ask? If only he agreed to Jae Suk sshi's invite, then I have a valid reason as to why he didn't show up tonight. Mother's scolding is so much better than this. Eugh. Ji Hyo did not dare to look anywhere else for fear of accidentally meeting Jong Kook's gaze (if he was even looking at her at all). She didn't know what to do.

 

"Erm." Jong Kook cleared his throat all of a sudden, prompting Ji Hyo to look at him. "Song Ji Hyo sshi...I....my mother.....dinner.....your house....together......Wait, wait. I wanted to say..." He took in a deep breath, clearly flustered now, before continuing,"I wanted to say-"

 

"That your mother wanted you to have dinner with me in my house? And we are supposed to go back together?" Ji Hyo cut him halfway through. She was relieved that he knew about the date and unconsciously released the breath she had been holding since she turned around. "I think our mothers kind of forced us to travel together even if we didn't want to. Look, there's only one car in the car park and I don't think it's mine. Well....unless you want me to take the public transport...."

 

"No no no....Of course not, Ji Hyo sshi! How can I let a female take a taxi home alone at night?"

 

"Em..okay then...Shall we go now? It's getting dark. Mother says we have to be there by 8."

 

"Yes, ok. Come with me."

 

Ji Hyo awkwardly followed behind him. After the relief she felt at first, she was shocked at her boldness. Did I just... What did I just do? Oh man.

 

She could see Jong Kook's face flush red as he led her along. They had to brush through a few shrubs, which made the leaves rustle softly. But it seemed loud to Ji Hyo, for the uncomfortable silence between them was there again.

 

Just when she was in front of the car, an embarrassed laughter broke the silence. "I think our parents really want us to travel together. My manager left after leaving my car here."

 

Ji Hyo looked at what he was staring at. Under the windscreen glass was a piece of paper with words scrawled on hastily:

 

Jong Kook hyung,

 

I have something on today. *wink* I specially brought the car over so you wouldn't have to ask her to take a taxi. Remember to treat me to premium Korean beef next time. Please take care.

 

Your thoughtful manager,

Gap Jin

 

P.S. Enjoy yourself at her house! Hope you can bring back good –

 

Before Ji Hyo could finish reading the note, Jong kook had reached out and scrunched the paper up into a ball. "Ah...Ji Hyo sshi, don't mind what my manager wrote. He spouts nonsense. Let's get into the car, we have about 2 hours to get to your house."

 

Ji Hyo was glad to have an excuse to move away from Jong Kook. However, being a gentleman, Jong Kook followed her and helped open the car door. "Please make yourself comfortable."

 

"Neh...Thank you." Ji Hyo got into the car. The door closed. She looked around. The car was pretty spacious and empty. There was nothing really personal that defined that the car belonged to Jong Kook. It looked very different from her own. The interior of her car was filled with many items that a celebrity like her might need, while his...well, you could rent the car without knowing who its owner was. How different he is from me.

 

Ji Hyo heard the other door shut. Jong Kook was in the driver's seat next to hers. "Everything fine, Ji Hyo sshi?" He asked when he saw her looking around.

 

"Uh yea." She quickly turned away to look out of the window, guilty of being caught looking around. And that was when she caught sight of a white object lying on the road. She took a peek at Jong Kook. She felt certain that it was the note Gap Jin had written after seeing that Jong Kook's hands were firmly placed on the steering wheel.

 

Thinking that Jong Kook was extremely nervous, Ji Hyo tried to lessen the tension by asking "Kim Jong Kook sshi, you know where my house is, right?" She expected him to say yes and start driving.

 

But instead, he gripped the steering wheel even tighter and said "Ji Hyo sshi... I think my manager wrote the address on the note we saw just now...But..er, I accidentally misplaced it. Could you... give me your address?"

 

"Oh." She replied, trying to conceal a smirk. Serves him right for throwing the paper away. "Then why not I drive? It will be quicker. My house is quite difficult to find."

 

"Are you sure? Do you know how to work this car? Oh, I'm really sorry for...not knowing your address."

 

"Don't worry. I have drove many different kinds of cars before. They are more or less the same, Jeeps, BMWs, sports cars. And it's okay, Kim Jong Kook sshi. So...can I drive?"

 

"Err.. It doesn't seem very right. But if you say so...okay. We don't have much time anyway. It seems like a more sensible option, right?" Jong Kook reasoned out and got off the car and crossed over to Ji Hyo's door. He opened it and said, "I'm really really sorry, Ji Hyo sshi, I shouldn't make you drive. But since you insist, I --"


"It's ok. I don't mind driving, I'm not like those fragile princesses like some girls are. It's fine. Let's go before its too late."
 
 
 

A/N: Sorry if my updates are slow, I don't have much time to write...Anyways, have a Merry Happy Christmas! :)

 
(24/12/13)