Bitterness Enters...PART ONE

Hatred & Love

“I think you’re crazy…” I said as Yuri and I sat down on a small bench inside the office.

“No, I’m not crazy.” Yuri replied coldly.

Yuri and I arrived at the Family Love Orphanage, aka FLO, with the police. We sat on a cozy bench in the main office of the orphanage while the policeman explained our situation to the principal. When she heard all of it, she looked at us in pity which I received gratefully.

“Yes you are. I feel like you are not the Yuri I used to know.” I softly said. “Who are you? What is going on in your head??” Yuri looked at me with a blank expression.

“I’m Yuri Kwon. I was always Yuri Kwon.” She raised her brow. “I’m my dad’s daughter. I’ve always been.”

I sighed for the hundredth time that day. In my whole entire life that I have shared with Yuri, she has never acted so strange and mysterious and cold—there was definitely something wrong with her!

“Mom was working for us! She didn’t go out partying every day and night like we thought she was!” I cried. “What is so wrong with that?!”

“Shut the hell up, you are annoying.” Yuri stood up and left the room just as the policeman were leaving and the principal was coming to introduce herself.

“Your sister is a bit grumpy today, huh?” The principal said, chuckling softly. She held her hand out. “Hi, my name is Bibiana Kim. I will be taking care of you girls until a family comes to pick you girls up, alright?”

I…….I can’t believe my sister, Yuri, just said that to me…Why? Why would she say that to me? To me???, I thought, ignoring Bibiana. Tears welled up in my eyes. We never fought, never put each other down, and never called each other names!!! Why would she…Why to me…What is going on with her?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I walked past Bibiana like she didn’t exist and walked up to one of the dorms. I didn’t know where I was assigned to sleep but I didn’t care. I just had to lie down—I had no energy at all, not even to ask where am I sleeping.

Inside the dorm was dark, everyone already asleep. I lied down on the cold ground and sobbed myself to sleep…

 

The next morning, I woke up with my pale face all swollen up and wet. Two girls were standing above me, wondering who I am. I sat up and stared into space.

“What’s your name?” One bubbly girl with wavy hair asked. “According to your looks, you kind of look like a…Lydia? Katie? Who are you, I’m getting super curious!”

I didn’t say anything. I couldn’t say anything.

“I think she’s mute!” The other girl teased. “Or maybe crazy! Or drunk!”

Right when I heard the word “drunk”, I stood up and glared the girl down. She got scared and walked a few steps back.

“Wendy, don’t make fun of her like that! She doesn’t like it!” The bubbly girl defended me. She turned to me and smiled. “Hi, my name is Sunny Lee and I’m an orphan! ...Like everyone else here! Nice to meet you! Now who are you?”

I bit my bottom lip and hesitated. “Um…My name is Yoona….Im.” I replied quietly. Sunny looked pleased and excited. Sunny smiled so widely that I began to smile slightly too. Seeing that, Sunny immediately hugged me tight and giggled. That was the start of our wonderful friendship.

 

FIVE YEARS LATER…

“Wake up~~~! Wakeupwakeupwakeup!!!” Sunny yelled into my ear.

“Ugh!!!” I groaned, stuffing my face into my pillows. “Leave me alone!”

“No!!! You have to wake up! I heard the hot new volunteer is coming today!!! Come on, wake up!”

“Just five more minutes!” I tried. But of course, it failed.

“Ha. Ha. Very funny. You really think I’m going to let you sleep even a minute more? You have to wake up, we have class in three minutes!” Sunny began to pull away my fluffy warm blankets and let the cool air make my skin get goosebumps.

“I’M COLD!! UGHHH!” I yelled. I fought Sunny with all my might till the end, but as a result, I had to wake up and get ready quickly for class.

As we were walking to class, Sunny talked of the hot volunteer guy again, giggling about how hot he might be.

“I don’t care…You think all guy volunteers are hot!!! And most of them are not handsome or cute at ALL!” I said.

“No, I heard this guy, like, breaks the “hot guy” record in our entire orphanage!!!” Sunny said.

I rolled my eyes and said, “Whatever.” And walked into class late.

(Later)

“Hey, Yoona!” Siwon called from afar, holding his tray of lunch.

“Hi Siwon!” I called back as he ran to me.

“Oooh! Your crush is coming!” Sunny teased.

“Shut up!” I said laughing. Siwon came up to me and flashed me one of his cutest, faint-worthy smiles. Haaa….He is just so adorable!, I thought dreamily.

I had a crush on Siwon for many years now, and there was a rumor that he likes me too! I thought he and I were the most perfect couple EVER!

Looking at him made all parts of my body weak…And as a result, I fell and dropped my pizza!!! Ugh…

“Yoona, are you okay?” Siwon helped me up and picked up my milk and pizza from the floor for me. For two split seconds, we made eye contact and I SWEAR I saw electricity sparking between us! But I guess it was all my own thoughts because…

“Hey babe!” I recognized that voice…That voice from five years ago…My heart beat faster and faster until I thought it was literally going to stop dead.

“Oh, uh…hi…Yuri..” Siwon replied nervously, stealing glances at me.

“Oh hi, Yoona!” Yuri smiled at me like nothing was wrong. Sunny looked at me with wide eyes and opened mouth. I glared at Siwon in betrayal.

Yes, Siwon and I weren’t dating but we had a thing! And everyone knew Yuri and I were enemies…..

Yuri linked arms with Siwon and left the area.

“Y-Yoona, are you okay?” Sunny carefully asked. “Siwon is such a jerk…I mean just last week he told me he likes you!!! I’m not lying! That bastard…”

I sighed and forced a smile. “Whatever. He can date whoever he wants. Let’s go.” I threw away my pizza, losing my appetite and went to my dorm to cry my eyes out. But I can’t cry in public. I just can’t…

(After crying her eyes out)

I walked into the cozy office and sat on the cozy bench.

“Hey Bibiana, did you want to talk to me?” I asked, swinging my legs.

“Yes, I did!” Bibiana looked up from her desk. “Do you want some snacks first?”

“No, I’m fine. I already ate.” I lied. “Anyways, what is it that you wanted to talk about?”

“Well I have good news and bad news…Which one do you want to hear first?” Bibiana said.

I thought for a moment. “The good news first. I don’t think I want to hear bad news right when I walked in here, expecting nothing big.”

“Alright…” Bibiana smiled. “There is a family wanting to adopt you!!!”

I gasped pleasantly. “Really? Are they nice? Rich? Where do they live? Why did they choose me? Am I finally getting adopted after five LONELY years?!?!?” I got excited. Bibiana held up one finger, signaling not to get excited just yet.

“Remember, you still have the bad news.”

“What is it?” I asked casually, not able to hide my excitement.

“Well…” She hesitated. “So…” She paused.

“Bibiana, just say it quickly and get over it like you always do!” I said, getting curious.

She sighed. “Okay, okay. So you remember that your mom, Jungah Im, gets out of jail today, right?”

My face expression became dark. “NOW I remember…”

“Well…She kind of wants to…….like….”

Tears filled my eyes. “Don’t tell me…She wants to adopt me?” I looked at Bibiana straight in the eyes. "Am I correct? Answer me, Bibiana, answer me!!!" 

“Y-yes…I guess…” Bibiana took a sip of her coffee nervously.

“How?” I asked nobody. “How am I going to choose?”

Bibiana hesitated but asked. “Didn’t you love your mom?”

“Yes…I did…and I still do, very much. But I can’t bear to see her again…There are just too many bad memories. And…I don’t want to be picky of families just because of money but…Jungah has NOTHING. How will she take care of me, there is just no way…And she will be so disappointed when she knows how Yuri has been doing.” I sighed heavily. “There are just so many worries! I mean I really want to live happily this time! Having a second, new family is like having a second chance of living! I can live differently and better if I go with the new family! But how do I turn my mom down? She is just too precious to me……………..” Tears began to fall one by one. “I just can’t let her down…But I don’t want to let myself down either.” My voice shook of worry and despair.

Why are so many bad things happening to me today?!?