Hidden Feelings...

Hatred & Love

"Why do you hate us so much?" I asked Mom.

"I never hated you, I just never wanted you." She replied. Mom always replied like that and it always hurt me, but I never gave up. I always hoped and believed that one day, she will reply in a warmer, nicer way.

"Why do you ask that, Yoona? You're always asking that to Mom when you know she will answer that way." My fraternal twin, Yuri Kwon said, sighing frustratedly.

The three of us were at our small apartment home--my mom on the couch and Yuri and I sitting on the carpeted floor. Mom usually went out to party and came back home drunk at midnight. But today after days of begging, she agreed to stay home and spend a little time with us.

"I ask that all the time because I believe there is a reason why Mom didn't abort us or throw us away in the streets. She took care of us instead." I said and smiled at Mom. She was lying down on the couch in her black minidress that she wore last night, with a cigarette hanging out of .

Mom sighed, smoke puffing out from her dry lips. "In my teenage days, there was no such thing as abortion. If there was, then I would've went straight to it and you guys would'nt have existed today. Just thinking about it makes me happy! Without you guys, it's paradise!" She chuckled.

Tears sprang to my eyes; hearing that come straight from made it harder for me to love my mom but I inhaled hard, swallowing back my tears and keeping myself strong. However, my bold and stubborn sister stood up angrily.

"How can you say that?!? You are our mom, no matter what a jerk you are! You always hit us and cuss at us and call us names, you have no right at all to say that to us, you...you....YOU !!!" Yuri let her tears fall down her cheeks and stomped to our room. I stared at my mom, shocked...and for a second, I thought I saw her getting teary-eyed. But I probably thought wrong because she immediately said, "I don't care." and smirked at us.

"I'm going out, there's nothing to do and you guys' whines are making my head hurt." Mom stood up from the couch, putting her cigarette out and grabbed her long trenchcoat to go out partying again.

"No, mom, stay! Please, just for today!" I grabbed onto my mom's leg, depserate for her to stay. "Just ignore Yuri! She's out of her mind, just ignore her and hang out with me!!!"

Mom shook my hands off of her and left the house, slamming the door in my face...I began to cry, screaming my head off.

"YURI, WHY DID YOU HAVE TO SAY THAT TO HER?!? WHY DID YOU HAVE TO YELL AT HER, WHY?!? WHY DID YOU HAVE TO RUIN MY DAY, YURI, WHYYYY?~?" I sobbed. Yuri peeked her head out of her room and looked at me with a sad frown.

"Yoona, are you stupid or just innocent? Are you sure your brain is functioning correctly?" Yuri shook her head and tears fell down. "She will NEVER change!! We have lived with her for fourteen years and did you ever see her not drunk, not out partying, or not with a different man every week? Have you ever felt her warmth? Do you remember the last time she hugged you or said anything that didn't make you cry of sadness? Answer me, Yoona Kwon!"

"Don't call me that! My name is Yoona IM!!! I'm my mom's daughter, not my dad's, I'm Yoona Im!!!" I argued.

"No you're not! Why do you do that!?" Yuri said, so frustrated that she didn't know what to say. "What did Jungah ever do for you? Nothing! But our dad was nice and showed love to us! Why do you hate our dad and love Jungah, the....the monster!?"

I glared at Yuri. "Do you wanna know why?" I gritted my teeth. "Because our dad threw us away. He abandoned us. But mom didn't. She could've left us on the streets but instead, she took care of us. She didn't even have money but she took us in! Who cares if she treats us like trash and dad showed love to us?!? It only matters that dad abandoned us and mom took us in as her daughters!!!" I sighed and wiped my warm tears away. "I'm sure that if we give overflowing love to Mom, she will one day give it back to us. She will give back at least some love, I will believe."

Yuri sighed and went back into the room as to give up on me. For the rest of the day, we just sat around and waited for our mom. But this day, something felt unusual. Mom usually came home at 2 in the morning but it was way past 2AM and she still didn't come back.

Finally at 6:30AM, the doorbell rang. Yuri went to get the door--when she opened the door, she gasped loudly.

"YA! What trouble did you stir up this time?????" Yuri yelled at Mom. Curious, I rushed up to the door. I gasped too.

"Are these your kids?" One of the many policeman asked Mom. Mom nodded weakly, avoiding everyone's eyes. She was gripped tight by two policeman and surrounded by many more. I was so shocked that I didn't know if I was dreaming or awake. I looked at my sister and I could tell she was trying hard not to cry. I frowned and asked the policeman what happened.

"Well..." The policeman sighed. "She commited a couple of crimes. First, she assaulted her boss because he tried to fire her from her job. Then she tried to steal money from her boss. Lastly, she didn't pay back her loaned money for about a year now and the loaner is got upset." He knitted his eyebrows and turned to the other cops. "Is that all?" They nodded.

"Wait..." Yuri and I looked at each other, confused.

"What do you mean you assaulted your boss?" Yuri asked Mom. But Mom just stared blankly at the floor. "What boss? Boss of what? Fired from what?" Yuri continued.

The policeman chuckled lightly. "Fired from her job, of course. She was working in 7/11 as janitor there but she had an argument with a costumer because the floor was dirty. Then the boss fired her but she started yelling and punching him! How scared he was!" They all laughed again.

Mom's shoulders shook. She was crying.

"So what happens now?" Yuri and I asked at the same time.

"I go to prison and you girls go to the orphanage...I'm so sorry...I'm sorry..." Mom sobbed. Tears blocked my view and I began to cry too. I expected Yuri to do the same but instead, I saw her smile.

"What good news!" Yuri laughed. I stared at her wide-eyed. Mom stopped crying too, taken aback. I saw no sign that Yuri was sad...She was happy and casual. "At the orphanage, at least I would get meals three times a day and be able to socialize with others, not embarrased by who my mom is."

Mom glared at her with teary eyes. Yuri just smiled.

"Hey, it's good for both of us. Don't you remember what you said yesterday? You said that life without us is paradise for you. You got your wish! And I got mine, let's thank God!" Yuri laughed out loud. She looked at the policeman. "Thank you all! Please take me and my sister to the orphanage and Jungah to jail." Yuri took my hand and smiled at me. I just stared at her in disbelief.

I was so sad and tired that day that I didn't have to energy to argue back or fight back when the policeman took me and Yuri into the police car to take us to the orphanage. From that day on, I couldn't understand what was going on in Yuri's head.....She didn't hint a slightest clue that she felt any grief that we seperated from our mom. From that day on, ...I didn't feel like she was the same Yuri.....the Yuri that was my sister....the one that cried with me when Mom said harsh things...the one that I used to know.... After that day, she became....a different person.............a monster...