Chapter One

Vortex // 소용돌이
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

Chapter One

   

Kyungsoo is no more than a normal kid with his artistically and musically inclined family to support his artistically and musically intertwined life. But it isn’t as interesting as it sounds, because all his life he’d only been out to go to a) his home b) school c) his extended music class d) his extended arts class e) that spot by the forest f) Minhyuk’s house g) and his uncle’s house. It almost made him feel estranged at school, since his lack of teenage outgoing spirit limited him to a circle of friends consisting of only one willing person: Minhyuk (and his brother, Baekhyun, but he thinks he doesn’t count).

Not that he was awkward, or very oblivious to the world. He wasn’t that interested on making friends, because since he had been younger, it was just him and his art and his music. He didn’t have that urge to ask for more – supple yet contended – and only needed the things that he finds sufficient and necessary.

Which makes him an introvert-slash-practical young man. The only people who he finds most trustworthy is his family and Minhyuk – who is the complete opposite of what Byun Kyungsoo was. He often contemplate stepping out of his boring life, but always finds himself in the confines of his room either painting or drawing at that cracked wall at the far side across his bed (which, as Kyungsoo could recall, had its 99th doodle today).

So hence he knew that he’ll forever be stuck at the comfort care of the sub-urban Gyeonggi-do, and whenever he recalled that sad truth, he’d grimace at himself and, at often times, pity of what Byun Kyungsoo had become.

He’ll never have that experience of going to a concert, or drinking at a bar with his supposedly friends at a Friday night. No, not ever.

Not in this life.

Sighing in what could have been the millionth time, he busied himself by rummaging through his little duffel bag and settling his 8” by 10” canvas at the mossy ground and looked at the familiar sight beyond him, calves folded underneath him like he usually does.

He was at e) that spot by the forest.

He tried to recall what had passed at home before he arrived here. Baekhyun had come home from his own extended music class to tell them that he had been invited – at last – to Homecoming.

Kyungsoo, who had the information all through the week, sank from where he sat as his parents stared down at him in ridiculous bewilderment. He knew what would ensue after they realized that they weren’t informed all along – that they’ll force him to join and attend some fun at least for once.

It only took a final and dismissive no.

Of course he wouldn’t come.

He grunted at that and settled on the mossy ground, pencil at hand, the canvas settled before him. It was all he needed to break free from the pressure of being a lonesome teenager – this and his mind busy at doing something much more remarkable than a one night party.

And he started sketching.

It would usually take a few minutes before he could finish his sketch, another half-hour to finish on with the painting and a good old ten to let the cool fog of the forest settle on it so it dries a bit, but Kyungsoo planned to stay longer than that, which explained the bigger canvas.

It all depended on the canvas, really, and how much amount of procrastination Kyungsoo would have done in order to complete an artwork.

There was nothing to procrastinate with but the pencil on his hand and the canvas that looked like an anticipated wall waiting to be vandalized.

He let the image of the reality dwell onto his mind, adding trickles of details that he wished was on the real picture. Kyungsoo liked to do that: add the detail

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter