Final

Insensitivity

“We’re just friends, honey,” Suho gently grabbed Jae Yee’s arm.

It’s happening again. It’s the same routine all over again. Suho would go and help some random girl that just wants to get Suho and Jae Yee would see, and then she would walk away angrily and Suho would catch up with her then tell her they were just friends and they would be okay. But Jae Yee is sick of this. She knew Suho wanted to help everyone, he was the school’ guardian angel after all. But Jae Yee didn’t understand why he had to show them his beautiful smile, and get really close with them. Jae Yee isn’t scared of admitting that she is actually jealous. Who wouldn’t be if they were in her shoes? But Suho always brush it off, telling her that they were just friends and all. Jae Yee is sick of this. Sick of having to endure, sick of having to see her boyfriend of 3 years become close with another girl, sick of him caring for other girls more than her.

“Let go of me. From this moment onwards, I’m not your honey anymore. You can go and call that y girl back there your honey. I’m so done with this. You may go back,” Jae Yee shrugged her hand out of Suho’s hand.

“Hey, it’s rude to call someone y. But honey, I know you are jealous, but I already told you we are just friends,” Suho said as he tried to pull Jae Yee into a hug but Jae Yee pushed him away.

“It’s been going for too long. This. You’ve been hanging out with other girls, helping them, caring for them more than me. If you’re going to be like that, why didn’t you just break up with me,” Jae Yee glared at Suho.

“You know I love helping others. Can’t you just stop getting jealous over small things like that? I only helped them, I didn’t cheat on you,” Suho was starting to get really impatient.

“And it’s as good as cheating on me. How could you have forgotten our anniversary just because you had to help a girl? And from what I see, I don’t see you helping any of the guys in our school,” Jae Yee stifled her tears with determination. No, she was not going to show her weaker side of herself to Suho.

“We have many other anniversaries to celebrate. Plus, I already made it up to you the next day,” Suho ruffled his hair in frustration. He didn’t know how to convince Jae Yee that he just helped them, with no other hidden feelings.

“Fine. Where’s your ring? Where? You promised you would wear it! And where did it go now? Let’s stop. I’m not going to waste time here trying to tell you what you’ve done wrong in this relationship. Figure it out and I wish you wouldn’t treat your next girlfriend like how you treated me,” Jae Yee knew she could no longer hold back the tears and walked away.

“Are you really going to give up on our 3 years relationship just like that?!”

There was no response.

“Omo, what happened? Did someone hurt you? Jae Yee-ah, answer me,” Xiumin asked worriedly when he saw Jae Yee walking into the house, crying silently.

“Oppa, I broke up with him. I can’t take it anymore,” Jae Yee whispered as she was being led to the couch by Xiumin.

“I know. I know. Oppa understands. Go and wash up and take a nap okay? You’ll feel better after a nap,” Jae Yee nodded and went back to her room with a heavy heart and eyelids.

XIumin sighed deeply as he watched Jae Yee go up to her room. No matter how many times he warned Suho, he wouldn’t listen, and only to lead to this kind of ending.

Xiumin went to call Baekhyun and asked him what exactly happened but no one knew. Xiumin figured he could ask Suho later on so that was done.

Now, the only problem would be Kris and Sehun.

Jae Yee lives with her 3 brothers, Xiumin, Kris and Sehun. Xiumin and Kris were her older brothers while Sehun is Jae Yee’s younger brother. Xiumin was always the one who kept his cool. But Sehun and Kris were the ones who would do anything to protect Jae Yee. And now, Xiumin knows that Sehun and Kris would go and bash Suho up for hurting Jae Yee.

-

Suho ruffled his hair, frustrated. He still thought that he was right. Why couldn’t Jae Yee just understand that he loves helping others? Why must she think he’s cheating on her? Suho don’t understand at all.

He stepped into his apartment that he shares with Chen, Kai, Chanyeol and Baekhyun. He raised his head and saw four pairs of angry eyes fixed on him. He looked questioningly at them, not understanding why anger was shown in their eyes.

“Why did you hurt Jae Yee again, hyung?” Chen was the first to speak, his eyes shooting daggers at Suho who flinched a little.

“I didn’t. I was just helping a girl and then she suddenly burst out and broke up with me. It’s not my fault,” Suho frowned.

Why is everyone siding Jae Yee when he didn’t do anything wrong?

“Hyung! I told you not to get close with other girls!” Baekhyun stood up from his seat as he yelled.

“I was only helping! I didn’t get close with her or cheat on Jae Yee!” Suho retorted, trying to defend himself.

“Hyung, why won’t you take our advices? You might think you weren’t close with her because you are like that with anyone. But in all of our eyes, it’s kind of inappropriate. You could go as far as to neglect your girlfriend just to help other girls. It’s wrong, hyung, it’s wrong,” Chanyeol pulled Baekhyun back onto the couch.

“Hyung, think about what we said. We’re going to visit Jae Yee. Cook your own dinner,” Kai said curtly and all of them walked out of the apartment, leaving Suho alone.

Suho sighed deeply and walked into his bedroom, dragging his feet.

He had a lot of thinking to do.

*At Jae Yee’s house*

“Minseok hyung, is Jae Yee okay?” Chanyeol asked as he was led in by Xiumin.

“She’s taking a nap now, but I don’t think she’s okay,” Xiumin said.

“We apologize on behalf of Joonmyun hyung,” Chen said as all 4 of them bowed.

“It’s okay. Don’t worry. I’ll talk to her about it. Now, you have to promise me something, don’t tell Kris and Se-,”

“Why can’t you tell me?” Kris said as he walked into the house, towel on his shoulder, dried sweat sticking on his body. Sehun followed in, with his backpack on his shoulder and many books.

“Sehun, I didn’t know you read books,” Kai teased when he saw Sehun carrying so many books.

“Shut up, these are for the finals,” Sehun snapped back at Kai, causing Kai to laugh lightly.

“Minseok hyung, you haven’t reply me,” Kris asked again as he grabbed a bottle of mineral water from the fridge.

“Uh,uh..”

“Oppa, you’re back?” Jae Yee’s voice called out to Kris as she rubbed her eyes.

“Oh, baby princess, you’re back already? Aren’t you suppose to be on a date with Joonmyun?”Kris smiled and hugged Jae Yee.

Jae Yee coughed and flinched when she heard Suho’s name. Sehun noticed Jae Yee’s reaction and he immediately knew something was wrong.

“Noona, did Joonmyun hyung hurt you or anything?” Sehun asked as blood starts rushing up his face.

“Uh.. uh..”

“Tell us!” Kris and Sehun chorused when Jae Yee couldn’t answer Sehun’s questions.

Xiumin sighed. He couldn’t protect Suho anymore.

-

“WHAT?! HE HAS BEEN DOING ALL THESE TO YOU AND YOU DIDN’T TELL ME?!” Kris exploded in anger. Jae Yee jumped out of her seat and she could feel tears starting to cloud her vision. Xiumin immediately rushed towards Jae Yee and embraced her.

“You scared her,” Xiumin frowned. Kris softened and he sighed.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to shout at you,” Kris apologized as he rubbed his temples.

Sehun stood up, face red with anger, ready to go bash Suho up.

“SEHUN IF YOU GO I’LL TELL LUHAN HYUNG TO NOT KISS YOU!” Chen shouted.

Sehun froze, before turning around to glare at Chen.

“I could care less as of right now,”

“Hunnie, no, don’t. I’m fine, so please don’t, please,” Jae Yee held onto Sehun’s arm gently.

“Noona, but, you’re hurt!” Sehun frowned at Jae Yee.

“I will be fine. Someday I will be. So don’t worry,” Jae Yee forced a smile at every one of them.

But they all know how many scars, how much sadness and tears she’s hiding with that forced smile.

“I-I will go back to sleep first. Kris oppa, tell me when you finish cooking dinner,” Jae Yee forced another weak smile before climbing up the stairs to her room.

All of them looked at each other, and sighed.

*In Jae Yee’s room*

Jae Yee sat on her bed, staring at the photo frame on her nightstand. It’s a photo of Suho and her. Suho was back hugging her and both of them were smiling brightly. Jae Yee forgot how it feels when Suho back hug her already. Many times when they meet, Suho would either bring a girl, or they would fight, or they wouldn’t meet at all. Bitter tears slipped out of her eyes.

Suho promised her. He promised he wouldn’t make her cry. But look what he had done.

Jae Yee fell onto her bed, tears still falling out of her eyes. She stared at the ceiling and remembered how she and Suho used to watch the late night sky.

You say the way my blue eyes shine, put those Georgia stars to shame that night.

Jae Yee remembered Suho and her used to listen to Taylor Swift’s Tim Mcgraw.

“I hope we won’t end up like this song,” Jae Yee had said, head lying on Suho’s chest.

“We won’t,” Suho had reassured her.

But what had they ended up as? Strangers. Broken couple.

Jae Yee shook her head as she smiled bitterly.

It’s hard not to find it all a little bittersweet.

She would forever remember all the memories she had had with Suho. Neither would she forget how hurt she was every single time.

She took out their promise ring and placed it on the night stand.

That night, Jae Yee fell asleep, hugging the photo frame, tears still falling, with a rather bitter smile.

-

On Suho’s side, he wasn’t any better. Memories of Jae Yee and him constantly flashed through his mind. Unconsciously, he took out the promise ring he had stopped wearing for quite a while. He couldn’t quite remember why he had taken off the ring. But he knew he had hurt Jae Yee. Deeply. And he wasn’t even sure if he could make it up to her.

That night, he couldn’t sleep at all.

And Chen, Kai, Chanyeol and Baekhyun didn’t come home that night.

-

The next afternoon, Suho jumped out of his bed.

He dreamed of everything he had done and how he had neglected Jae Yee because he had to help other people.

He put himself in her shoes and he knew, he wouldn’t even be able to stand it for one time. But Jae Yee had tolerated him for who the hell knows how many times.

He rushed out of his room ready to go to Jae Yee’s house when he was greeted by his friends.

“She’s gone. It’s no use going to her house to find her. She’s not there anymore,” Kai said and retreated into his room.

“Hyung, Jae Yee left this letter for you,” Baekhyun handed Suho the letter.

 

Suho went back into his room and sat down on his bed. He shakily opened the letter, fearing whatever content is in it.

Dear Joonmyunnie,

By the time you read this letter, I would have been on the plane, flying to somewhere else. I apologize if I have ever hurt you physically or emotionally. I never meant to. Don’t feel bad too. I know I was a little harsh yesterday. You’re just a little insensitive of my feelings. Remember, don’t ever repeat this same mistake again. Always be conscious of your girlfriend’s feelings. Don’t hurt her. I loved you and I still do. But I’m sorry. I can’t tolerate anymore. Go and find someone who would stay with you through thick and thin, no matter how much you have hurt her. I’m sorry I couldn’t do that. I’m weak you know. I hope you will be happy. Continue to help everyone. I’m sorry I couldn’t be the girlfriend you want. I’m sorry. Last of all, stay happy, healthy and handsome. Someday later, when I come back, I hope it would be for your wedding. Suho-ssi, thank you for the memories.

                                                                                                   Someone who will always love you,

                                                                                                  Jae Yee.

Suho let out a pained cry as he finished reading the letter. Baekhyun and chanyeol looked at him in pity.

“If only I was a bit more conscious of her feelings, if I had held her back yesterday, all of these wouldn’t have happened,” Suho whispered as he clutched the letter.

Tears were the only things that could describe Suho’s guilt, pain and sadness.

It was his insensitivity that had lead to this ending. And if only he could go back in time to fix everything, he would.

But he couldn’t.