Final

The lycan

Kyungsoo strolled into the enormous black gates of the school. His wolf ears flattened back against his head, hidden amongst his messily styled hair. He felt his inner wolf whine as if to protest as his ultra sensitive hearing began to pick up noises from around him.

He looked like a human, but he had wolf ears - black ones, which were at the top of his head, hidden in his equally black hair. His wolf hair and claws were now retracted and his teeth were normal - for now. They would lengthen and get sharper during his transformation.

Kyungsoo sighed as he felt his heart beginning to pick up its pace. Every single day, he came to school like a normal human being. Mundanes was the word for them. But he didn’t understand why, his heart seemed perfectly normal in public, like in shopping malls. School was the only place that made him act all jittery and his inner wolf go crazy.

I hate school.

Kyungsoo had to muster all his will to control his inner wolf, whom was struggling and trying to let the transformation take over. His hands balled up into fists, as he tried to steady his breathing, calming himself and his wolf down.

“Kyungsoo, the one is here.” He heard an inner whisper, like a protest.

Kyungsoo gritted his teeth as he couldn’t help it but to keep shivering. Every single school day, he had to go through this torture. And the worst thing was, he didn’t know who or what “the one” meant or referred to.

“S-shut up…” Kyungsoo muttered under his breath, voice trembling slightly. However, his wolf whined again as his response, causing Kyungsoo to lose his control. “I said, shut up D.O!!”

A few heads turned towards him, staring at him as if he was some freak. Kyungsoo’s eyes widened as he realized he yelled that out loud, his sensitive hearing picking up some voices.

“That Kyungsoo guy is weird sometimes…” Someone whispered to her friend.

“He’s so hot with that other guy but I wonder what’s his problem in school… You know, you see him during weird stuff early in the morning and he keeps trembling.”

“Yeah, I know right!” The other voice agreed.

Kyungsoo sighed again, hoisting up his backpack as he felt his inner wolf finally keeping quiet.

“D.O yah!” a voice hollered over the noise of the chattering along the corridors.

Kyungsoo’s head whipped around towards the sound of the voice. “Hyung! Kai hyung!” He flapped his arms when he caught sight of a lump of brown hair in the midst of the sea of people.

Kai, aka Kim Jongin was also a werewolf. Like Kyungsoo, Kai was Jongin’s wolf name, whereas D.O was Kyungsoo’s wolf name.

“Yo.” Jongin greeted as he finally reached Kyungsoo’s side. “How’s D.O today?”

Kyungsoo raked a hand through his hair, fingers brushing the tips of his hidden wolf ears. “The same. I don’t get who’s the one. I think I’m going sane, hyung. My wolf is sane.”

Jongin looked at him pathetically, “could it be…”

Drawling on his words, he began to spell out a word, “L...O… V-- Ow Do Kyungsoo you !”

Cursing as Kyungsoo landed a smack on his hyung, Jongin chuckled as he watched Kyungsoo’s disappearing back, stomping his way down the corridor. Jongin had already suggested that it was probably referring to his soulmate, but Kyungsoo refused to believe it and had been denying that his soulmate was possibly a mundane.

---

The book slammed on her table, jerking her awake from her slumber. Looking up, Kyungmi found herself meeting Sohyun’s glare.

“You filthy , how dare you lay your eyes on my precious boyfriends?” she yelled, banging her fists against the table.

Kyungmi heaved out a sigh, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She had no idea who Sohyun was referring to, and besides, she didn’t bother anymore. The school bullies, mainly Sohyun and her gang often beat her up and accused her of things which she don’t recall doing at all.

“!” She shrieked out, pointing a finger at me, she screamed again, almost hysterical. “She’s a ing !”

“Who’s a ?” A low, mellow voice spoke out from behind them. The crowd around Kyungmi’s table began to part like the Red Sea and a boy with black hair and large eyes emerged. Looking down at her, he stood infront of her, blocking her from Sohyun.

Sohyun looked up at him incredulously, mouth agape. “Oppa!” She squealed out, immediately attaching herself to his side, clinging onto him arm like a leech.

“Don’t bother with this girl here alright? Why don’t I treat you to a drink now?” She gushed, attempting to tug him away from the scene.

Kyungmi looked at her in disgust. So this was her boyfriend she was referring to. Wait, she said boyfriends. Who was the other one? Shaking off the thought, she was preparing to lower her head back down to return to her nap, when she felt a jolt of electricity run through her, leaving her senses tingling.

Her eyes widened as she felt her heart picking up its pace, and she had no way of controlling herself. She felt herself standing up, her senses felt ultra sensitive now, the lights in the classroom suddenly seemed too harsh - just too white. The noises of her classmates seemed to increase in decibels and she felt herself shutting her eyes, trying to block everything out.

She felt something within her tug, no. More like struggling.

---

Kyungsoo felt his heart wrench as he was led away by this bully. Sohyun was her name wasn’t it? And who was that victim?

There was definitely some weird tingling sensation that ran through him like currents when he touched her for a brief moment before he was pulled away. Kyungsoo could feel his inner wolf, somewhere between ecstasy and disappointment.

Kyungsoo couldn’t stand it any longer as he decided to follow his wolf for once, for he was really curious as to what was it that was driving him this crazy. Clenching his fists, he yanked his arm away from Sohyun’s grip and ran.

He ran and ran, down the corridor back to where he last saw that girl.

---

Kyungsoo stood panting infront his house. His sensitive nose had trailed the girl’s scent all the way back to his own home, his wolf howling in confusion and disappointment.

When he had reached the classroom where the girl previously was, she wasn’t there anymore. Her books were still left under the table.

Where is she? Kyungsoo wondered, he could feel his wolf ears standing up straight amidst his messy hair, trying to pick up sounds of anyone’s presence. He could still get a whiff of her smell here, but she was nowhere in sight.

Kyungsoo felt a strange bitter feeling in his heart as he trudged off towards the woods nearby. He felt like as if he swallowed a painfully bitter pill. Slumping his shoulders in defeat, he skilfully climbed a tall tree, and peacefully settled himself up at the topmost branch. Closing his eyes, Kyungsoo fell asleep.

---

Kyungsoo awoke to a sound of scuffling among the forests, as if there was a squirrel darting amongst the leaf-littered floor. Stretching his arms upwards, he stifled a yawn and look up at the bright sky. Despite the sky being dark, it was almost as bright as day for Kyungsoo. The moon shone so brightly, and his wolf eyes adapted easily, making the forest look like as if it was midday.

He felt around his pockets for his phone, taking caution not to slip and accidentally fall from his position on the tree branch. His phone was vibrating and as he finally fished it out, he squinted his eyes as he glanced at the screen.

Jong In

Yah, Kyungsoo hyung. It’s almost midnight. The full moon is coming. Hope you know what that means.

Kyungsoo blinked dazedly at his phone for a moment, before he finally recalled what he meant.

Kyungsoo

Arraso arraso. I remember. Dongsaeng-ah, stay safe!

He sighed as he slipped his phone back into his pocket, and slid down the tree and landed with a soft thud. Kyungsoo began to jog further into the woods, determined to get as far as possible, away from the bustling town he knew.

No one must know my identity.

---

Kyungmi laid on the sandy beach, panting. Beads of sweat rolled down her forehead as she looked up at the full moon. She recalled the tingling sensation she experienced back in class, how she suddenly had this strong urge which she couldn’t resist to rush off somewhere. She found herself at some isolated house, which seemed a little run down. Not understanding why she had ran all the way here, and the fact that she did not even recognize this place at all.

After she reached that house, she remembered how something had seemed to drag her around, circling the house a few times before going off into the woods nearby. She recalled how she had no way of stopping her own legs from moving, it was like they had a mind of its own. And now, finally, she reached the furthermost end of the forest, where a sandy beach stretched out before her, the end of it disappearing from her sight.

Propping herself up, she watched the waves crash onto the shore, the sounds which seemed to calm her down.

“Are you lonely?” A voice spoke up from behind.

Kyungmi whipped her head around in shock and let out a slight hiss, feeling defensive all of sudden. However, when she saw it was a mere boy, about the same age as her, she instantly relaxed. But she could feel something inside which felt somewhat joyful. Shaking her head to shake off the feelings, she eyed him as he came to sit together with her.

“Hope you don’t mind.” He mumbled under his breath, but Kyungmi heard it perfectly loud and clear.

Flattening the sand, he took the spot just beside her.

“What’s your name? I saw you at school earlier.” he asked in a small voice, as if he was shy.

Kyungmi definitely didn’t know this guy well, but she indeed recognized him as whom saved her earlier in her classroom. Something within her stirred, and she felt compelled to jump on him at this very moment. But she controlled herself, clenching her hands as it took her utmost will and effort to not make any move.

“Kyungmi.” She exhaled out loudly, forcing herself to stare at the vast sea before her. “What’s yours?”

“I’m Kyungsoo.” He replied, taking a tree branch nearby, he began drawing something on the sand.

Kyungmi glanced at the boy, as she was now breathing heavily. Speaking felt so hard for her now, it felt like there was suddenly very little oxygen. She was so drawn to this boy, even though they just met. And she couldn’t understand why. She could feel that something again, trying to struggle free. Looking up at the sky again, she noticed how beautiful the full moon was, it was so white and dazzling. Gritting her teeth, she managed to speak another sentence.

“W-who are you exactly?”

The boy looked up at her, obviously startled. His hands froze as his large brown orbs stared right into her soul. Kyungmi closed her eyes, not daring to look any longer in case she lost her control.

“D-do you believe in…” He trailed off, watching her beautiful face which was illuminated by the bright moon. Swallowing his saliva, he repeated his sentence. “Do you believe in… mythical beings?”

Something within Kyungmi obviously jerked, and she squeezed her eyes shut in pain as she felt like she was on the verge of losing control. Even the slightest action felt so painful. Mythical beings? She thought. Since young, she used to believe in them. But as she grew older, she realized it was all a lie. A lie to make children happy and… have wishful thinking. Was this boy a child too? She had long accepted the reality of life and that there were no such thing as Jack Frost, Santa Claus and neither was there Easter Bunny. Vampires, werewolves, demons and ghosts were just stories made up for the fun of it.

“I don’t.” She answered curtly, not wanting to speak too much as it felt excruciatingly painful.

Only the sound of waves was heard crashing against the shore and Kyungmi opened her eyes slowly, only to find the spot beside her empty. The tree branch lay on the ground, in a mess of sand. Blinking in surprise at how he had disappeared so quickly just like how he had come, she slowly stood up and knelt over the words drawn in the sand.

---

Kyungsoo ran into the woods, howling as he sprinted quickly, dodging the trees. He looked up at the sky before he glanced at his watch.

It’s almost time.

He felt a slight wetness on his cheeks. It was his tears, he was crying.

“I don’t.” She had replied. Kyungsoo had already left by then, but he definitely heard it loud and clear by his wolf ears.

She does not believe in mythical beings.

The reality sank in and he howled again in disappointment, and with that, he let the transformation take over.

Oh how he hated himself terribly, he wished with all his heart that he was a normal human, a mundane just so that he could love this girl, and she could return his feelings. Little did he know that she had already long fallen in love with him.

---

Kyungmi was now running through the woods, just like how the boy had done so earlier. Her senses felt heightened, and everything felt surreal again. It was like she could clearly see each passing tree, and dodge them with ease. Her legs didn’t give out from exhaustion, and neither was she anywhere near being tired.

She could smell his lingering trace, and something within her begged to be let free. She felt a swell in her heart, her skin seemed to tingle madly as the wind brushed her by and she finally relented.

Looking down, she found herself no longer on 2 legs with a pair of running shoes. Instead, she found 4 black furry paws, running on the ground. Her surroundings looked as clear as day and she could now smell the boy’s scent more strongly, mixed with the scent of the nature.

As she reached a clearing, she found a brown lone wolf standing there in a denfese stance. She slowed to a halt and felt her heart pound harshly. Sniffing at the ground again, she realized the wolf infront of her was the boy’s scent.

“W-what… How is this possible…”

Kyungmi’s head jerked back up from the ground to look at the brown wolf. What was that? She thought. She knew she definitely hadn’t said that, but that sentence had somehow appeared in her mind.

“K-kyungmi… It’s me, Kyungsoo. I-I… You’re a wolf… Can you hear me?”

The voice appeared in Kyungmi’s head once again, and she looked around to see if there was anyone else beside her. But no, there was only him and her in the clearing.

I can hear him… his thoughts?

“Kyungmi ah… Since we’re wolves, we can read each other’s minds.”

What… I’m a wolf now?

“I thought you were a mundane. A human just like the rest. I loved you this whole time, you drove me mad everytime I went to school.” Kyungsoo whimpered as he took a step closer to Kyungmi. “Kyungmi, will you go out with me from now on?”

Kyungsoo’s ears flattened and he felt his tail drop in embarrassment. He just realized that it was his soulmate, it was her who drove him crazy this whole time, and they were meant for each other. He imagined his wolf jumping around in happiness when he found out that Kyungmi was a wolf after all.

Kyungmi felt her heart pick its pace as she took a step closer to Kyungsoo.

What is this? I thought wolves don’t exist… Why am I a wolf now?! I-I… I’m so confused and scared.

“You’re a newborn wolf, I’ll teach you everything and explain all this to you soon, in time to come.” Kyungsoo bent his head down as he nuzzled his nose with Kyungmi’s. “But first, Park Kyungmi, will you be my girlfriend?”

Kyungmi could imagine something inside her howl with excitement as she allowed Kyungsoo to nuzzle her wolf nose.

Kyungmi spent a moment as she recalled how she had spent most of her life alone, with her parents nowhere to be found, being abandoned by her friends and accepted by nobody. She was always an outcast, and this was the first time someone ever showed affection towards her. Despite not believing in mythical beings, she decided, maybe they were real after all. She imagined herself grinning as she playfully pounced on Kyungsoo’s back, knocking him to the ground.

I think I could get used to this.

---

A/N

Heyyy OMG I'm so so so SOOOO SORRY for delaying this update for like 2 freaking months! OTL. I promised to do it before New Year but well I guess I got carried away by my other activities... SO ANYWAY, I finally updated! Yippee! Spent like hours doing this up late at night (It's 1.45am now OTL) cos I can't sleep. My national exam results are coming out tomorrow so I'm too nervous to sleep :(

Enjoy the story! It's a whopping 7 pages long so I hope you like it. MY DEAR FRIEND, HAPPY BELAAATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU HOWLING WIND! 

Hugs and kisses from xiCHOCO~ ^^