Surprise

Surprise

“Yes!” Yuri said while nodding. Tears of joy welled up in her eyes.

Cheers filled the hallway as a new couple was born.

--Flashback—

Three girls can be seen giggling with each other in the cafeteria as one of them continued to narrate what happened to her this weekend.

“So, yeah, where was I? Oh yeah when Kris blindfolded me, I thought that it’s just one of Baekhyun’s pranks. Turned out that it wasn’t any of those. It was even better. When Kris told me to remove the blindfold, I am already in the rooftop of my house with arrows on the floor pointing to Baekhyun who is ....” Tiffany said while blushing and daydreaming at the same time.

“Yah Tiffany Hwang! Tell us already. You’re daydreaming about Baekhyun again.” Sooyoung said snapping Tiffany out of her trance.

“Oh, mianhe. Keke. He’s just so sweet and all but I didn’t think that he will go to that extent where he will ask my family before-“

“He asked your family?!” Sooyoung and Yuri asked, half-shouted.

“Yeah. He’s just so sweet right? Like, he is the perfect boyfriend because my family’s decision was so important to him before pro-

“Tiffany, the proposal.” Yuri impatiently said.

“Oh right, sorry. It was just he’s so sweet-------------------

 

 

 

Okay. Guys, you’re creeping me with your stares. I’ll continue with the story.”

“Finally.”

While Tiffany continued with the story, one of their blockmates, Hyoyeon, approached them.

“Uhmm, Yuri-sshi, can I talk with you outside?”

“Sure Hyoyeon-sshi. Guys, see you later.”

Hyoyeon and Yuri went outside the cafeteria, Hyoyeon said something unexpected.

“Yuri-sshi, can you accompany me to the restroom?”

“Sure Hyoyeon-sshi. No offense but is this the only reason you called me?”

“Actually no. It’s just someone asked me a favor to lead you to the third year classrooms.”

“Oh. You should’ve said so in the first place. I can go there on my own.”

“No, it’s okay. He’s my close friend so it’s fine. Bye Yuri-sshi.”

“Bye.”

‘So it’s a he?’ Yuri thought. As she walked, she noticed that it was awfully quiet. There were no students loitering along the hallways which is odd as it is the time of the day wherein all students have their free period. As she passed by the second year classrooms, she saw many arrow-shaped  papers on the wall that leads the way to the third year classrooms. Each paper has a message on it. She read each message while walking. Her heart beats escalated on a particular letter.

‘What is perfection? You are, Kwon Yuri.’

Yuri noticed that this particular letter is different compared to the others. Its color is blue which is her favorite. Also, it is handwritten instead of being printed. ‘Familiar,’ Yuri thought. Contrast to the deafening silence, she heard footsteps behind her. Yuri turned around and was shocked as she saw her best friend handing out roses for her.

“Luhan?”

“Uhhh, hi Yuri.” Luhan said while smiling.

Yuri got the flowers and smelled it. She unconsciously smiled. Same with Luhan. After a while,

“Thanks Luhan.”

“For what?”

“For this.”

“Oh. It’s okay. Anyways, Tiffany and Sooyoung told me to get you blue roses in particular.”

“No. Not only the flowers. The letters also.”

”Oh. Hehe. You’re welcome.” Yuri noticed that Luhan was blushing.

“You’re nervous, aren’t you?”

“N-no.” Luhan denied. Yuri wouldn’t buy that because she can see him clearly playing with his fingers all along. They have been best friends since diapers anyway.

“Well if you say so. What’s with the surprise anyway?”

“Oh yeah right!” He then snapped his fingers and a few students came in with guitars followed by many students who are curious as to what’s happening. They fell in line with Luhan in front. Luhan started singing her favorite song. She didn’t expect that her best friend would be able to sing this sweet song for her in front of many students.

*Out of My League by Stephen Speaks*

It's her hair and her eyes today
that just simply take me away
and the feeling that I'm falling further in love
makes me shiver but in a good way
All the times I have sat and stared
as she thoughtfully thumbs through her hair
as she purses her lips, bats her eyes and she plays,
with me sitting there slack-jawed and nothing to say

'Cause I love her with all that I am
And my voice shakes along with my hands
‘Cause she’s all that I see and she’s all that I need
And I'm out of my league once again

 

Luhan stopped singing and walked back to Yuri who has many thoughts going on in her head. Like, ‘Why did Luhan sing? Especially in front of many students. I thought he can’t sing in front of many people because he-‘

Yuri was out of her thoughts when she saw Luhan kneeling in front of her.

“Luhan, what are you doing? Luhan, stand u-“

 “Yuri, you sure are dense.” Offended, Yuri was about to speak when Luhan cut her off before she could even utter a single word.

“I’ve given you hints about this yet you are still oblivious. I believe even Tiffany, Sooyoung, Baekhyun and Kris knew I liked you from the very start. “

Yuri was at loss for words. Confusion and shock were written all over her face. ‘He likes me?’ Yuri thought.

As if reading her mind, Luhan said, “Yes Kwon Yuri. I like you.” He took a deep breath and continued,

“Could you be my....

 

 

 

 

 

 

prom date?”

Groans and giggles filled the hallways as Luhan came up with an unexpected question.

Yuri could only nod. Yes, she is smiling but deep inside her, she is very disappointed. She expected something more. Luhan hugged her. When they pulled back, Luhan saw the disappointment flashing in Yuri’s eyes.

“Disappointed, eh?” Luhan said, while smirking.

“O-of course not.” Yuri denied while blushing.

“You’re bad at lying.”

“Like you are.”

“Haha. Seriously. Kwon Yuri, do you think I’ll prepare this big if I will just ask you to be my prom date?”

Just. That word echoed in Yuri’s mind.

“Just? So it means there’s more?”

“Yes. There’s more.”

Luhan, once again, knelt in front of her. The difference now is there’s a ring in his hands.

“Kwon Yuri, I like you. No. I liked you. I love you. I’ll just make it short since you were very disappointed a while ago.”

“N-“

“Don’t you dare lie. You at lying. Here it goes, *breathes* Kwon Yuri, could you be my....

 

 

 

 

Girlfriend?”

--Present—

Luhan put the ring on Yuri’s finger as the sign of their relationship. Their lips were about to touch when—

“Yah Wu Yifan! Where are you taking me?!” Said a shrieking Sooyoung who was held by Kris. Kris covered Sooyoung’s mouth and told, “You can now kiss. I’ll just take this girl somewhere.”

Although embarassed, Luhan and Yuri slowly closed the space between them and when their lips were about to touch,

 

 

The bell rang signalling that classes will start.

 

“Aish! When will I be able to kiss you?”

“Don’t worry Luhan. Next time. Haha. Byeeee”

Yuri pecked Luhan’s cheeks as she waved goodbye.

“Kwon Yuri. Tss. Why only on the cheeks though?”