A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic) SEVEN

A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic)

            All the calls JongHyun received from TaeMin were rejected. He knew if he kept this up then he would just show up at his building like that time they’d argued and TaeMin had stood outside his building for three hours which of course resulted in him getting sick… The thought of TaeMin getting sick again made JongHyun come close to calling him back. But he didn’t. The things he’d said weren’t excusable.

            He had to push all thoughts of TaeMin to the back of his mind however since he was on his way to work. It had begun to be a growing habit for JongHyun to go to the shop after his classes (since that was when his shift started usually) so here he was now, reading and walking. With one exam still left to go he needed to spend all his available time studying.

            With his nose buried in a book, JongHyun didn’t notice the darkening sky above him. Rain would be falling soon. Thankfully for JongHyun he made it to the shop seconds before the first drops fell.

            “Hello!” Onew greeted. He was half hidden behind the counter with his arm buried deep in a box over flowing with key chains.

            “What are you doing?” JongHyun asked. He tossed his books onto the counter before heading to the back room so he could change into his pink shirt.

            “I’m trying to find the papers for this order that just came in… It should be in here… Aha! Ahhh!” The elder’s scream screeched loudly all the way to the back room as well as the loud bang of a falling structure.

            JongHyun quickly slipped his arm through his t-shirt sleeve and ran out to see what had happened with Onew. It was quite a ridiculous sight yet he wasn’t too surprised to see this considering it had happened twice in the past two shifts he’d been working.

            It was a lively mess of pink, purple and yellow with a bunch of silver and gold sparkles. Hello Kitty faces stared up at JongHyun which made him laugh. Onew had once again managed to knock over the post card stand and now it was lying over top of him.

            “We need to move that thing,” Onew groaned as JongHyun lifted it off of him.

            The two were busy laughing and cleaning up the mess that they didn’t hear the chimes from the door.

            “Yah hyung, what are you doing on the floor?”

            JongHyun stiffened. He’d recognize that voice anywhere. It wasn’t the same weak voice from the last time they’d met, nor the harsh voice from the first time they’d met. In fact, it held nothing but concern this voice.

            Onew stumbled to his feet, putting all the post cards he’d gathered up carelessly on the rack. From his spot on the floor, JongHyun could see Onew’s surprised face.

            “Didn’t I say to take a few weeks off? It’s not like you’re not getting paid for your time off!” he yelled.

            JongHyun couldn’t see Key but for some reason he saw him putting his hand on his hip. The huffy sigh he heard only made him more convinced that he was exactly in the position he’d though him to be in.

            “It’s boring being at home; there’s nothing to do. Plus, I’m fine! A little cast and some stitches won’t affect my work.”

            “I already have someone in right now,” Onew explained calmly.

            “Who?! This is my shift!” Key screeched.

            With a bit of fear lodged in his stomach, JongHyun straightened up. He had  wad of postcards clutched tightly in his hands, probably strangling Hello Kitty and the little rabbits. His lips flashed his teeth in that cheeky grin he was so famous for. Key didn’t seem to appreciate his sudden presence in the room since his feline eyes narrowed drastically. It would have been cringe worthy had Key not still had a black eye and a slightly swollen lip.

            “You hired him?!” he shouted. His finger pointed shakily at JongHyun. Even the bright pink cast around his arm wasn’t able to dim down the anger he was trying to express.

            JongHyun hung back as Onew and Key went into the back room. He leaned against the counter with a text book spread out in front of him. No one was in the store anyway and judging by the slightly muffled yells coming from the back room he’d be alone for a while.

            He was all into his readings about psychology when the two came back. Onew looked worn out whilst Key look peeved. It seemed like it’d been settled but not without a fight obviously.

            Onew told JongHyun to go sort the new box onto the shelves since Key couldn’t do much in his state. The text book closed and the shorter boy grabbed the box Onew had been rifling through earlier, bringing it back to the shelf where was assigned to go.

            As much as JongHyun didn’t want to admit it, he liked it much better when Key wasn’t there. Usually when he was working him and Onew would talk and joke and the atmosphere would be light and cheery, but Key seemed to choke every bit of cheeriness out of the place.

            A whole hour passed with the mood still not getting any better. They’d had a grand total of two customers that night and Onew was thinking of closing early since no one would probably be roaming the shops in this weather.

            “Hyung, where dose this go?” JongHyun asked, staring at the small box in his hands.

            He never received his answer because everyone’s attention was drawn to the door. It flew open, the wind and rain adding force to the slam. The post card stand tipped over and sent the post cards flying for the second time that afternoon.

            The person who stood hunched over was oddly familiar to JongHyun. The light brown hair pulled back into that small, messy pony tail…

            “TaeMin! What are you doing here?!” JongHyun exclaimed, dropping the box and scurrying over to his drenched friend.

            The young boy clung to JongHyun as he tried to catch his breath. He was so cold… His body let off violent shivers since his skinny body had no room for fat on it.

            “Did you walk here?” JongHyun continued to pester.

            Onew and Key gathered around to see what the ruckus was about. Curiosity and confusion clear in the expressions they wore. Clearly this had not been in the plans for today.

            “I-I ran,” TaeMin panted, struggling to get air into his lungs. He leaned all his weight on JongHyun since his knees were beginning to buckle underneath him.

            “You’re such a pabo! Didn’t you have dance tonight?!”

            “I-I left halfway to come here.”

            “That’s like a twenty minute drive!” JongHyun looked at TaeMin in horror. If he’d really run all the way – and in the rain no freaking less – than he was a downright idiot. His immune system was already weak enough… And his asthma… This was bad, this was really, really bad. TaeMin needed to be warmed up and fast.

            He cast a glance over his shoulder, trying not to panic and said, “Can someone get some towels? And some extra clothes?”

            No one moved which only further frustrated and panicked JongHyun. He made sure TaeMin was sat upright against the counter before shouting, “Now! Hurry! There isn’t time to waste!”

            The two started but the raised voice gave them the push they needed to get going. Onew ruffled around in the back room for some towels while Key pulled an extra uniform shirt off the shelf.

            Meanwhile, back with JongHyun, he was stripping TaeMin of his damp clothes. Thankfully he was in his dance clothes so he wasn’t wearing those super tight skinny jeans he loved so much.

            TaeMin’s body was still convulsing with shivers… JongHyun was grateful for the towels that Onew brought him. He covered TaeMin’s skinny shoulders with one. He used the other to soak up the water from TaeMin’s hair.

            “I’m s-s-sorry hyung. I-I d-d-didn’t mean what I-I s-said. I’m happy y-you have a j-j-job,” TaeMin chattered through his teeth.

            “Don’t talk TaeMinnie, just focus on getting warm, okay? I don’t want you back in the hospital,” JongHyun cooed in a tone that he only ever used with TaeMin.

            With near perfect timing, Key came out from the back room and handed the spare uniform to JongHyun. He tried to look annoyed as he passed it over, but you could see the worry peaking through.

            “What’s wrong with him?” Key asked in a slightly squeaky voice.

            “He’s got a really bad immune system… If he’s subjected to a cold setting for more than a twenty minute span than he can have some serious issues. He’s usually fine if he wears the proper clothes but he didn’t this time,” JongHyun explained. It was hard to get the words out through his panic. TaeMin’s breathing still wasn’t going back to normal…

            “H-hyung…” TaeMin whimpered. “I-I can’t breathe.”

            “Do you have your pump?” JongHyun asked, already searching through his stuff for the pump that TaeMin’s parents had given him for emergencies like this. He found it in his sweater pocket and brought it up to TaeMin’s lips.

            “Breathe,” he ordered, pressing the button to let it burst into TaeMin’s mouth.

            “Do you need me to call an ambulance?” Onew asked.

            “No, no… I think I have it under control now,” JongHyun muttered. “Breathe.” He pressed the pump once more.

            The young boy took in as deep a breath as he could. His shivers started to die down. JongHyun used the calming moment to slip the uniform on over TaeMin’s head. He made sure his friend was completely okay before falling back onto his with a sigh of relief.

            He stared at TaeMin for some time still after that just to make sure he was okay. He felt his forehead to make sure he didn’t have a fever before finally letting it go.

            “How are you feeling?” JongHyun asked. He brushed some wet hair out of TaeMin’s face, grinning when he saw TaeMin stick out his tongue.

            “You worry too much, hyung,” he joked weakly.

            JongHyun tried to smile back at TaeMin but the exhaustion from the panic attack he’d been having was taking its toll on him. He couldn’t deny the fact that this had scared the out of him. He yanked himself to his feet to grab his sweater and put it on TaeMin for safe measure.

            “I’m sorry hyung… I don’t want to fight any more,” TaeMin whispered.

            “Don’t worry about it TaeMinnie, I forgive you,” JongHyun said. He turned to Onew afterwards, eyes tired and desperate. “Hyung, do you mind if I get off early? I need to take TaeMin home.”

            “Do you need a ride?” Onew offered, cracking a grin. “I’ll close early to take you all home.”

            All three guys looked at Onew gratefully before packing up their things and following after him.