A Sparkly Encounte (A JongKey Fanfic) SIXTEEN

A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic)

The world was blurring. It was as if moving things and still things were blending together and then apart again. It was like JongHyun was on some sort of bad drug trip. After nearly two weeks of the double jobs and tutoring Key he had no time for himself. He couldn`t even remember the last time he talked to TaeMin… Or showered.

            Jesus, he hadn`t even been able to talk to TaeMin since he`d had to cancel his phone plan. He was probably really worried…

            JongHyun made a mental note to go visit TaeMin later.

            “Yah, JongHyun! Are you going to stand around and stare into space all day or unpack these boxes?” Onew asked.

            The young man jolted out of his buzzing thoughts. He tried to give a smile to his boss but even that seemed to take way too much energy. Man, he really should have eaten something before coming to work. His stomach screamed with the rage of a thousand men as he dragged his feet towards the new shipments.

            He hated that he’d run out of packaged noodles… Now all he had was stale bread with a questionable green substance growing on it. He didn’t even have tap water because his water had been turned off. He’d been stuck washing at a communal bath house for the past week.

            “JongHyun!”

            Onew’s voice pushed him to get moving again. He swooped down to pick up the box but a sudden rush made him dizzy. Onew of his knees hit the ground and the box smashed down with a loud thud. Onew peered over the counter, worried about his employee.

            “Are you okay?” he asked.

            JongHyun took a moment to gather his bearings. He took in a few deep breaths, suddenly feeling nauseous. It was a feeling he wasn’t accustomed to. Where had this wooziness come from? he wondered.

            “JongHyun~ah…” Onew stepped around the counter, ready to help out if he was needed.

            “I’m fine,” JongHyun assured. He took in another deep breath and made to pick the box up again. As soon as he straightened up, though, the dizziness came back with a vengeance and he found his eyesight tunnelling in until all he could see was a bunch of pink and silver sparkles and then nothing.

 

 

            When light began to penetrate JongHyun’s eyesight again he found himself disoriented. His eyelids opened, allowing a bit of vision for him to analyze the situation. The first thing he was able to distinguish was Onew’s face staring down at him in worry. He seemed engorged like a balloon subjected to heat for too long.

            There was a dull pounding in the back of JongHyun’s head. He felt the coldness of the hardwood floors seeping into his skin. Why was he on the floor? He wondered.

            “Hyung?” JongHyun asked, pushing up into a sitting position. He groaned when the dull thud turned to a massive pounding.

            “Take it easy…” Onew murmured.

            “Why am I on the floor?” JongHyun asked. He rubbed at his eyes, hoping for the grogginess he was feeling to fade away. Unfortunately, it didn’t. If anything, everything (from the exhaustion he felt to the pain) got amplified tenfold.

            “You passed out,” Onew said.

            “I did? Sorry… I’ll get back to work.” JongHyun made to get up but Onew’s hand on his chest stopped him where he was.

            “Don’t move. Sit here and lean against the counter. I’m going to get you some water… Don’t move,” Onew ordered.

            Out of respect (and just not really being able to move), JongHyun propped himself up on the counter. He studied his surroundings quickly. The box was still where he’d dropped it on its side with things spilling out of the top. He remembered feeling nauseous and dizzy… And then nothing.

            Thankfully, Onew came back quickly so he wouldn’t have to strain himself remembering small, unimportant details.

            He had a water bottle in one hand and a sweater in the other. In his confusion, JongHyun hadn’t even noticed the goose bumps breaking out over his body.

            “Thanks…” he mumbled, accepting the water from him. He sipped at it gingerly, not wanting to upset his gurgling stomach with a flood of ice water.

            Onew took a seat by his employee, crossing his legs Indian style. He had wanted to talk to JongHyun for a while but had never felt it was the right time. After this, though, he had to say something. Otherwise, his conscience would just grow guiltier and guiltier.

            The water in the bottle decreased to a satisfying point for Onew and he began expressing his concerns.

            “JongHyun~ah… I’m worried about you,” he started off by saying. Not giving the other a second to speak, he continued. “You’ve dropped weight since I’ve met you… And you’ve been looking very pale and tired lately. Just now, you fainted! I don’t know what you’re doing, but you don’t look good…”

            “I’m fine hyung…”

            “I’m not the only one worried about you. EunJi noona was concerned; TaeMin has come to the store looking for you.”

            “I’m fine, hyung,” JongHyun repeated.

            Onew ignored his blunt lie. “If you’re in trouble you can tell me. I know we haven’t known each other long, but I care about you. Don’t be like Key and wait until a robber nearly beats you to death, okay?”

            “I’m fine, hyung.” It was more than just a repeated lie. JongHyun chanted his mantra to himself hoping that if he said it enough he would actually believe it himself.

            The way he kept averting his gaze and twiddling with the cap on his water bottle, though, told Onew the truth. There was something seriously troubling JongHyun. So much so that he was getting hurt physically by it – and most probably mentally, too.

            It was hard for Onew to bear so he decided to do something that would hopefully aid his employee in the tiniest of ways.

            “I’m taking you home and I want you to take the week off,” Onew declared.

            JongHyun did a double take. He couldn’t afford a week off… He couldn’t let Onew take him home. He couldn’t… Wouldn’t.

            “But -”

            “I’ll pay you even if you don’t come in. But if I see you come back ready for work then I won’t pay you. Now let’s get you up; I’ll give you a ride home.”

            With the help of Onew, JongHyun managed to get back on his feet. He let the older boy wrap his arm around him and led him to his car. He was grateful for the seat that invited him since his legs felt like they’d just been dumped out of a Jell-O mould. He rested his head against the back rest, closing his eyes. He could hear Onew putting his bag in the back seat and then finally get settled in the driver’s seat.

            When they were finally gently cruising down the street Onew asked JongHyun for his address.

            The panic settled in again, but a sudden thought made JongHyun calm his nerves quickly.

            “Can you bring me to TaeMin’s actually? I feel like I owe him a visit…” he said.

            “Sure~ It’s the house I brought you to that other time, right?”

            JongHyun nodded, feeling himself grow sleepy. He didn’t want to fall asleep in Onew’s car, but he was just so tired…

           

 

            “JongHyun… Wake up, we’re here,” Onew whispered. He carefully nudged his employee until his eyes opened.

            JongHyun saw TaeMin’s house and smiled to himself. He really missed this place.

            “Do you need help to get to the door?” Onew asked.

            “No, I should be fine. Thanks for the ride and I’m sorry for burdening you,” JongHyun said.

            “It’s fine. Just please rest up, okay? I’ll tell Key you’ll be gone for a while so that he won’t think you abandoned him with his tutoring.”

            “Tell him to meet me at the café on Tuesday at lunch. And make sure he brings his books. His entrance exam is soon so I can’t leave him just like that.”

            “Okay… But use tomorrow to rest up! I’ll see you soon.”

            JongHyun nodded, gathering his things and stumbling to the door. As he waited for TaeMin to answer he couldn’t help but be a bit relieved. He would finally be able to get some real sleep.